Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ADVICE FOR BEST RESORT FOR SKIING 7th MARCH 2009??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

It's my favourite time of year again where I get to start planning the annual festivities of snow worshipping!!

Our main holiday is going to be a late-ish one this season heading out on 7th March 2009.

Any suggestions as to the best resort in Europe in terms of snow amount/quality and without quite having to strip down to T-shirt skiing (global warming granted...blah blah)?

Skier ability is not an issue as we are all intermediate to advanced pisters! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A little bit more incite into what you want from a resort would be helpful.

Which Country?

Purpose built or traditional?

apres ski or not?

I would probably have though Val d'Isere and Tignes would fit your bill.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What about either the Sella Ronda circuit resorts or somewhere like Reberty/Val Thorens. Been to both areas in early March and had brilliant snow and weather.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
weirdonorskie, when you all ski, do you all wear helmets, or ALL CAPS?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
weirdonorskie, that's absolutely the best week to choose. Peak season in terms of snow (though thankfully just after the peak season in terms of school holidays, in France at least). there's no question of it being "late season" and you should be fine, from the snow point of view, just about anywhere. There's certainly no need to go somewhere like Val D'Isere or Tignes from the point of view of finding snow. A month later it would be getting just a tad late.... but even so, plenty of choice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glencoe, sorted
snow conditions
 brian
brian
T Bar, the not "having to strip down to a T-shirt" should be a given at least. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's not that often you can strip down to T shirt in Glencoe at any time of year
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends on whether you are a northerner or not wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elizabeth B, yes, I'll admit to going soft now I live down here. I did live in Scotland for years though - not often in T shirts.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
7th March is not really late-ish, very often it is the period with highest snow-depths. Any resort>1500m in France/Switserland should be fine snow-wise. In austria avoid the real low-lying villages and choose a resort >1000m. In Italy the aosta valley (Cervina/La thuile) should offer the best skiing, but dolomites thanx to 100% artificial snow covering will be fine too (especially Arabba).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the comments guys.

We would ideally prefer Switzerland as haven't tried that yet. Any thoughts on Verbier?

Did Val Thorens a couple of years ago in Feburary, but actually found the pistes were all very windswept and the snow in Courchevel was far better!

Think I'll take a pass on Glencoe (with all due respect).... I like Steep Steep sking Toofy Grin

Christopher, We are a relatively young crowd of about 10-20 people ranging from 23-35yrs so apres is always a key. Trying to find the perfect balance of great skiing, great apres, traditional build & snow sure is never easy - but that's the kind of thing we are after Laughing

Have skied Whistler extensively, done Tignes, Val D'isere, St Anton, Val Thorens so looking for any alternative superlatives (if they exisit..)

snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
weirdonorskie, Zermatt?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I have heard many a good thing about Zermatt, so defitinley on my list!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
weirdonorskie wrote:
pam w, I have heard many a good thing about Zermatt, so defitinley on my list!
Zermatt is well worth a try,great skiing,no traffic,very traditional village,lots of good places to eat,even a Macdonalds.You can also ski into Cervenia in Italy,just remember if you do,remember to buy the full liftpass,we forgot about that and had to buy another pass in Italy just to get back.Also you can only reach the place by train,we did it from Geneva,with one change,the last part being on a cog railway with great views on way up.All in all a great place.
ski holidays
skiingpepsi wrote:

Zermatt is well worth a try,great skiing,no traffic,very traditional village,lots of good places to eat,even a Macdonalds....

Oh Jesus wept.... that's an outrage.
snow report
Glencoe that week in March 2008

Thats a piste not off piste....

Photo from this page winterhighland
ski holidays
II great pic........really must try skiing in Scotland soon!
ski holidays
I second that comment red 27, What a travesty - is there no where they don't invade!?!?

II, Sweet line. Maybe a long weekend in addition to our main trip...

Zermatt is seeming like a good option - Any other suggestions of better places to try out? Main criteria are:

*Good apres
*Ski in/out or Short walk (100-200m) to lifts
*Good snow record
*Not too warm at that time
*Group is of mixed ablilities up to advanced, but no newbies

We are looking at getting a catered chalet for the group, which we can ideally solely occupy, so if anyone has any suggestions for that...

snowHead Smile
ski holidays
Hope you have got loadsamoney if you are going to Zermatt.....
latest report
janet.woodzz@btinternet.c, so Zermatt is pricey? Is that accommodation wise or eating/drinking or just everything? Some of the group are more budget consious than others, but in my mind if the skiings good - I'll pay the price! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
weirdonorskie wrote:
We would ideally prefer Switzerland as haven't tried that yet. Any thoughts on Verbier?

Think I'll take a pass on Glencoe (with all due respect).... I like Steep Steep sking Toofy Grin

Verbier will be snowy and sunny at that time of year.

Zermatt, Davos and St Moritz are others to consider.

Glencoe actually has some genuinely steep skiing. Nevis Range, too. It is a sign of how badly the stations are marketed that this is not a commonly known fact. If the sky is blue and the slopes are white, a weekend in those two places is surprisingly good.
ski holidays
Whitegold, Interesting. I've never really thought of Scotland as a skiing destination - guess I have just honed in on the negative comments of rain and little snow that I've heard from friends. May consider a weekend there! Smile
snow report
Been to St Anton that week 4 out of the last 6 years and the snow has been pretty damn good, especially so that the last 3 visits - 2 feet of powder on piste 2 years ago. The age goup will definitely love St Anton or possibly Ischgl for the apres. Plenty of accomodation in centre beside uplift although I think most of the catered chalet accomodation with UK operators is down in the Nasserein part of town, which has a fast gondola.

Scotland can be great for skiing, but admitedly you will have to leave it till last minute as conditions no where near as reliable as Alps, unless you count on it being cloudy and wet, in which case it is very reliable.
snow conditions
weirdonorskie, LES CARROZ in France and Gressoney in Italy could be your solution.

Ciao
snow report
i've been tempted with a very nice looking chalet in alpe d'huez through snowHead but don't know much about it as a report. Anyone know what conditions are normally be like 2nd week in march?
ski holidays
They would normally be fine.
ski holidays
Val d'Isere was excellent at that time of year last year, and snowfall continued well in to May.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last year the snow all over, certainly in France, was infinitely better in mid March than in mid Feb. But it could be completely different next year. But "normally" there would be decent snow in Alpe d'Huez in the second week of March.
snow report
weirdonorskie, Zermatt would be good for all your criteria except convenience to the mountain, it can take a long time from leaving your hotel to actually getting your skis on. Probably one of the "greatest resorts" IMO. Is budget a serious criteria for the ones you mentioned? If they are the less able skiers I would go somewhere different. If however they are the better skiers, send them to Zermatt! It is probably one ski holiday a year and they should experience THAT mountain!

By the way, dont worry about conditions at that time of the year. It should be good but if it is not, it's not! Nobody in your group will be able to groumble about it. Nothing you or anyone in your group can do about the weather!!

Have fun!
ski holidays
I would recommend either Zermatt or Chamonix (staying somewhere close to Brevent for easy lift and beer access) for really great places that you haven't already been to.
(ps not a pimp, we are booked that week and not near Brevent!)

Incidentally I just got back from two days in Zermatt and the snow is excellent at the moment!
latest report
firebug, Do you only visit resorts where dining beneath the comforting glow Golden Arches is an option?

I see a seperate thread coming on... Kitzbuhel as I recall, any others? firebug, where else have you been?
snow report
red 27, St Johann in Tirol has one.... i remember a group of American boarders almost wetting themselves when the found out...
latest report
red 27, Laughing Laughing I've never set foot in there, 'onest!
ski holidays
Megeve has one. Caused a lot of local fuss.
latest report
Kitzbuhel and Zell am See have them
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Megeve has one. Caused a lot of local fuss.

OK, that's very weird... are you sure Pam? Surely not in the village as I recall...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy