Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bourg st Maurice/ les arcs for a non skier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm going to be out in bourg st Maurice for a season and have got people coming to visit me at christmas, one of whom is a non-skier. Can anyone suggest anything to do for someone who doesn't ski? (and due to back injury isn't interested in learning)

Ive had a look on the les arcs website but can't really find very much of interest, so thought someone on here might know the town. Ive thought about snoeshowing but thats only 2 hours of 1 day so I need more ideas! Is there maybe a spa hotel or something like that?

Hope someone can help Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sar_m, no spa in the town but there's a spa in Brides Les Bains near Moutiers. Not a lot to do in BSM but there are a few museums in Seez about 3kms away, one of which is dedicated to taxidermy, not that I've ever visited it. You could catch the chairlift from Les Ecudets up to La Rosiere for a change of scenery then take the Roches Noires chairlift up from La Rosiere for some great views of Mont Blanc and the Col de Petit St Bernard. There's a free navette that runs from BSM to Ecudets twice a day, up in the morning and down in the afternoon and of course you can take the furnicular up to Les Arcs. Why not go further afield, take the train from BSM to Chambery or Albertville for a day out and there are regular buses to Tignes and Val d'Isere, a trip to La Ferme in Villaroger is a must for one of the best mountain restaurants in the the Alps. It's good walk from Ste Foy and you could meet there for lunch. Hope this is helpful.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frankly, I wouldn't go to Albertville for a day out (Chambery has a bit more to offer) and neither would I be beside myself with excitement at the prospect of a museum of taxidermy. ' You'll have to hope that your non skiing visitor is either very keen on cooking the skiers delicious dinners (I'd quite enjoy that, given a good budget and some interesting shops), or a keen reader, or a walker. If they're keen on exercise, why limit snowshoeing to 2 hours a day for 1 day? If I was in snowy mountains and unable to ski I'd be happy to snowshoe for four hours a day (leaving time to get home to get the dinner on the table. wink) Most resorts lay on guided walks, with or without snowshoes. Sitting in a mountain restaurant with a large drink and a good book, with a meal at some point in the proceedings, is also a good way of passing a few hours.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could also get your friend to take the funicular up to 1600, and the free navettes around the domain, from where there are dog sled rides (from Pre St Esprit) and the villages of 1950 and 2000 to explore joined by free pedestrian lift. And can met up with the sliders there too.

Also there is the helicopter base just between the two villages, where you can take rides around the area (although, I'm guessing that might be a tad expensive!)

There is also a pedestrian accessible lift from 1800, the Transarc, that can take them to the Grotte de Glace at the top of the Col de Chal. Which is a good place to meet up for a restaurant lunch with skiers (OK its not La Ferme, but hey, its got good views!). Friends who are "hors de combat" have done that before with us - not necessarily enjoyed the "not skiing", but better than sitting watching dvds all day long...

You can iirc, get a (paying) navette up to Peisey and travel on the 'washing line', aka Vanoise Express for some spectacular views.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
a dog sled ride would be great - I've always fancied that.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The dogs are loveable but noisy in their pens beside the road tho!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

the Transarc, that can take them to the Grotte de Glace

Some non-skiers we know made that trip and had a lovely day out - really does get you up in the mountains and they enjoyed the Ice Sculptures
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi

Thanks for all the replies. Think I might try chambery for a day, a trip to the grotte de glace then some mountain walks and stuff should fill up the rest of the week.

JimW - do you know an internet adress of the company that does dog sled rides? That would be quite fun as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can thoroughly reccomend dog sledding Very Happy
We went with Marius around Montalbert and La Plagne he also works in Tignes, In La Plagne he works after the lifts have closed or on the plateau of Longefoy during the daytime his contact details are here http://www.la-plagne.com/MontA/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/tarifs-chiens-traineaux-hiver09.pdf Don't be afraid to call him as he speaks very good English.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you have transport you could take the trip to La Plagne to do the bobsleigh run.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you go dog-sledding, watch out for the flying frozen poo! Things come naturally whilst on the move Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy, I think I'd prefer frozen poo to the alternative
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
If you have transport you could take the trip to La Plagne to do the bobsleigh run.

This person isn't skiing due to a back problem!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Probably best to avoid the bobsleigh then Wink I should have read the OP a bit more closely Embarassed
latest report
 brian
brian
I was invited to a museum of taxidermy once, I told them to get stuffed !

snow report
snowball wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Will probably count out the dog sledding, 'cos it's either stand on the back of the sled or sit in the sled both subject you to a fair amount of jarring and jerking Sad Especially if you come off the back of the sled Toofy Grin

Is it sled or sledge
sledding or sledging?

Where's Hurtle for the descision? Very Happy
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, I think either is fine. Depends what continent you're in, maybe.
latest report
Boredsurfing,
Quote:

Is it sled or sledge
sledding or sledging?

No idea. And I'm not going to be tempted to comment on the last word of your post. wink Laughing
snow report
Maybe you could see if there is any accommodation they could book with a swimming pool/spa..I think there are places at Arc 1950 but not sure what it would be like to stay that high up and not ski.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy