Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bum

Poster: A snowHead
..bags, do they still have a place in the stylish skiers' armoury?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no,

next question please
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is the apostrophe in the right place?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
no
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

No.

Quote:

Is the apostrophe in the right place?

Probably not but far less of a crime than the bum bag IMO wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's a no no then.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
II, Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well I'm going to keep wearing mine Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx, the OP wasn't asking whether they were practical, cheap, and much less likely to hang you off a chairlift than a top-brand backpack!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ideal accessory for a fartbag I think, especially in clashing colours.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you don't require a shovel n probe, rope etc what do you carry in a fanny-pack wink (used the US term just to see if it gets past the censors) that can't go in a pocket?

A useful part of the armoury for hotdog/gaper/fartbag day however
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My husband carries blood-testing equipment, insulin, cereal bars, goggles or sunnies (whichever he's not wearing to start with), a small bottle of water, sun screen, mobile phone, a small wooden roller used when he gets cramp under his feet, camera, tissues, a paper, pencil and string and fourpence for the telephone. He can put it in his pockets and look like Worzel Gummidge with a pocket full of turnips or put it in his bum-bag and look like Worzel Gummidge in a bumbag.

PS one part of the above is untrue, but is what I had to have in my pocket when I was in the Brownies.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I suspected the answer to both would be no, but if you don't ask you won't know! Ihave not seen my sky blue since the late 80's guess I don't have to waste any time looking for it Laughing .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w,
Quote:

fourpence for the telephone

Ah the good old days of press button A.

I use a small rucksack that takes goggles, water, chocolate and ski lock.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Laughing
ski holidays
I go for the turnips look myself as even the best bumbag wouldn't turn me into a ski model
snow report
All this talk of having a probe in your bum bag is making me feel 'funny'.
ski holidays
Quote:

Nope Laughing
ski holidays
Assuming there might be more than one stylish skier, I think the apostrophe might be in the right place... wink

However, the bag will not be. Laughing
snow conditions
PsychoBabble wrote:
...in the stylish skiers' armoury?

"...in the stylish skier's armoury?"
but
"...in stylish skiers' armoury?"
(I think)
latest report
snowball

Lynne Truss would be proud (I think)!
snow report
But is the definite article referring to the singular "stylish skier", or to the genre of "stylish skiers" ?

Pedantry is such hard work...
ski holidays
When loading pockets, one has to be very aware of what goes where.
Which pocket is the camcorder going to fit in best? has to be balanced by which pocket is it least likely to get damaged in, and in which pocket will it do the least damage to me when I fall?
I'm thinking of a head cam for next year - or are these no noes too?
snow report
It is true that "the stylish skiers" could be plural - I did wonder about that - but it would be an odd use of language. If you read the sentence "Should the dogs' tails be docked", and paid huge attention to the placing of the apostrophe, you would know that the writer (assuming he was good with apostrophes) meant the generality of dogs but you would not be impressed by his use of English. If you just heard it, however, it would sound odd and you might reply "Goodness me, how many does the poor dog have?" If you heard "should dogs' tails be docked" you would be in no doubt that it was a question about dogs in general.

Using the definite article with a plural - never really thought about it before - but I suppose it always refers to a particular group or set. As in "the skiers in small French resorts wear fartbags a lot but the skiers in Courchevel are more style conscious" If you heard "the dogs are very noisy" you'd probably ask "what dogs?"

I answered the question only because it was asked, incidentally; I would consider it rude to correct spelling or apostrophes otherwise. wink
snow conditions
youspurs1, depends how often you land on your head! Embarassed
snow conditions
pam w, the question was asked because as soon as I typed it I had a flash back to a similar topic some time ago and I thought "I'm sure that isn't right, but I'm sure at least 1 knowledgeable Snowhead will be able to put me right!"
Onwards and upwards in the quest for perfection! Smile
latest report
youspurs1,

Quote:
Which pocket is the camcorder going to fit in best? has to be balanced by which pocket is it least likely to get damaged in, and in which pocket will it do the least damage to me when I fall?

With you there - a self-conversation I often have! Usually answered by the practical solution of "It will be better weather tomorrow anyway, so I'll leave it at the apartment for this trip...".

pam w, global financial meltdown dictates that " the Courchevel skiers' " sartorial elegance is probably going to be compromised this year anyway... wink
latest report
They were very 80s weren't they, at least to my mind!

I had one I'm embarrassed to say, still have it in a cupboard somewhere come to think of it, best forgotten about now although with one pieces coming back can it be all that long before hip young freeriders start wearing bum bags too?! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
PsychoBabble wrote:

but
(I think)

"... in stylish skiers' armouries?" might be better.
ski holidays
I Have a Shemagh Scarf,

i will wear that this season see if i can get it to catch on NehNeh

Watch out for me On the Milkyway at christmas
ski holidays
critch, Try not and get caught in the cross hairs!
snow report
Iam too fast for that !
latest report
richmond wrote:
snowball wrote:
PsychoBabble wrote:

but
(I think)

"... in stylish skiers' armouries?" might be better.

or "in the armoury (ies?) of stylish skiers"
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, indeed.

Possibly you might say: in the armoury of the stylish skier"

Unless you consider the armoury to belong to all skiers of the stylish variety in which case you could stick with the plural, skiers, or , as per the snowball and psychoBabble suggestion, armouries of stylish skiers, indicating one (or more) armoury per skier.

(Or possibly two armouries shared amongst many... but I digress)

But whichever, the answer is still no, the bum bag will not figure in the armoury, wardrobe or general apparel of a stylish skier, the stylish skier, or indeed any of the host of stylish skiers gracing the slopes this winter. Smile

Unless my wife is reading this, when of course it will dear.
latest report
JimW, Laughing
latest report
Laughing Laughing Where's Hurtle when you need her ? . . I bet she wears a bum bag Very Happy
snow report
This topic has got legs , badoom tish! Embarassed
snow report
critch, Doubt it, I was well trained! wink
latest report
bug now i am scared Shocked

i wear a bum bag on the Motorbike when i go our for the day, due to lack of pockets
ski holidays
I assumed that the apostrophe was in the correct place on the basis that it was the possessive apostrophe of 'stylish skiers'. In other words that we were talking about more than one stylish skier and that the word 'armoury' was the object being owned by them.

A bit like talking about a company that could be owned by a large number of men called James - now would that be 'Jamess' company' or 'James''Company' Laughing

[Stir, stir, muddy, muddy]
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy