Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best time for late deals- Steamboat/ Breckenridge?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First off- hello! I have been a 'lurker' on here for several months so now its time for my first post.

I am looking at booking a 10 day visit to either Steamboat or Breckenridge in January for myself and my girlfriend. My choice of resorts is based upon the fact that we both want to go the US and reviews seen elsewhere.

I would grade myself as a confident beginner edging towards intermediate and my girlfriend a beginner in need of a bit of confidence. We have both had lessons at Tamworth Snowdome and ski there once a month and we spent a week in Chamonix last March which incidently caused my girlfriend to lose a degree of confidence due to the hard icey pistes and lack of fresh snow!

First off, I see that there is one review on here for Breckenridge but none for Steamboat- has anyone on here been to both and able to offer a comparison? They both seem to offer a lot to the beginner- low intermediate skier as well as a number of non-ski activities?

Secondly, when is the best time to book a late availability deal for January- i.e. November time or really last minute- New Year when no-one has any money? Also- the best providers for late availability deals?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Rob
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could diy yourself really easily to the usa book a flight now but they are pricey I just paid nearly £200 more than I paid last year just for my flight to the states, some of the airlines have a sale on till the 23rd September I think?

then just book a hotel and car and go for it easy peasy hth ?

I havent been to either of the resorts you are looking at but I did go to colorado about 10 years ago at the end of Jan and it was blue skies every day and a foot of fresher powder totally lush !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ive just put together a DIY trip for Breckenridge in March without usind a car. With a car which looks relative cheap you can do several resorts from Denver. January should be cheaper for hotels, KLM/ Northwest are offering 'cheap' flights to Denver - hope they stay solvent as I booked with them - make sure you book using a credit card &/or take out airline failure insurance. Don't know about steamboat but sounds good & probably more than enough for early intermediate - it is not quite at the dizzy altitude as Breck - but still if you can take a longer stay to get over jet lag & get some acclimatisation to the altitude.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Neither Breckenridge nor Steamboat requires a car. You may nonetheless hire one for occasional side trips.

Flights into Steamboat probably needs more advance planning. It's a small airport with limited flights/seats. So I probably wouldn't wait past November. Breck is accessed from Denver so there're usually a lot of flights. If the price doesn't appeal to you right now, just wait. The economy might just be such the price could drop.

Don't know much about lodging. Terrain should be ideal for your level in either resorts. I don't do much non-skiing activities so can't comment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy