Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OK Avoriaz

Poster: A snowHead
any tips on places to eat etc

jase
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jase2472, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont wrote:
jase2472, Laughing Laughing

this is the last change of the place for easter, i have booked more hotels this last few days than i can remember Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chez flo was very good - opposite the half pipe, just down from the big cable car.

Le Yeti doesnt do chips - be warned!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For food, pop over to the swiss side. Big place in Champery/Planachaux (forget the name) is good.
latest report
 brian
brian
Must be a tapas bar there somewhere. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh oh oh, what's the name of that bit Just inside switzerland????? Plaine Dranse, yes that was it. I had a plate of HUGE sausages in a fairly cheap place, and you can hang your hats & gloves on pegs over their fire. What was that restaurant called?????? Och, I'll have to ask Mr Sheepmadang.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Le yeti might not do chips but their portion sizes are huge! Too much for a lunchtime meal if you wan't to ski afterwards.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thought Plaine Dranse was the bit on the French side?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oooooh I love the PDS, I'm just about to book Italy and now I'm down memory lane.....I know nothing about evening eateries in Avoriaz but there sure are many lunchtime restos to try in that region especially in the Lindaret (sp) valley and over the Wall into Switzerland...can't remember the area name but I think andy, is right, Plaine Dranse is towards Chatel in France.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah well, I'm thinking of somewhere COMPLETELY different then - maybe. Did I mention that I can't read a piste map? - yet another reason I'm not allowed out by myself rolling eyes Everyone on that particular holiday got completely fed up of me asking "what country are we in now????" every 5 minutes. Embarassed

Oooh yes, Les Lindarets had good eateries too..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
also the best kids school there will be 2 girls aged 4 and 5
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a place just on the swiss side that does a big sausage in a drilled out baguette with ketchup and mustard and has big fires inside it was lovely and loads cheaper than the french side !

Also where is the place on the french side where you have to get a train that is really a bus there was a nice restaurant up over the back of the hill that did fab salads and pizzas ?

I am not very good with names and descriptions am I - need to look at a piste map !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sprinkles, Yes Plan Dranse is in the Chatel area.

Le Pomme de Pin (hope its still there) is a good place, its in the Linderet valley in the group of restaurants near the chair that takes you into chatel, run by a nice swedish bloke and his french wife, very Brit friendly and good food at reasonable (for a ski resort) prices.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sheepmadang, I think the area you mean is L'Echereuse, just inside Switzerland above Les Crosets, it's a great ski area and there's a park between pistes going down to Les Crosets with a fab natural half pipe at the bottom, definitely worth a visit... Smile
ski holidays
jase2472, I understand best kids school to be ESF Montriond.

Best restaurants either La Terrasse (€€€) or le Cremaillere (€€) in Lindarets.

Pierre au Loup in Plaine Dranse good although I prefer la Tane o'Marmottes.

There's a little soup kitchen about halfway down the last (first?) chair up from Prodains (if you see what I mean) that can be a real life saver on a powder day. No, lunch is not for wimps.

If you're thinking about gloves hanging over a fire and it's all a but kitsch, that's Babeth's - no idea its real name although it could be "le vieux chalet". Can't think of many recommendations on the Swiss side other than Mac'ocos above Champery or Chez Dany in Champoussin. I think there's a new one in Crozets but I might be wrong. Sundance sadly hasn't had scantily clad dancing girls for some years.

Oh and both of the ones at the bottom of Abricotine are good too.
snow conditions
jase2472, food is good in most places. What do you want? Cheap and cheerful or quality? There are a number of quality restaurants to eat in at night in Avoriaz! Mountain fare is pretty good, only been in 2 cafeteria places on the mountain, one at top of Mossettes and the other over in Les Gets (mt. Chery). Everywhere else was sit down and enjoy type meal!
ski holidays
jase2472 wrote:
any tips on places to eat etc

jase
Have recently booked chalet violette in Avoriaz and was really looking forward to it,then i found a review of chalet on trip advisor,and it was pretty grim.Has any one stayed there.Any info would be welcome.Thanks.
snow report
Never heard of it, but Trip Advisor often has very biased and exaggerated reviews, with both extremes for the same place (in my experience).
snow conditions
Babeth's do great pizza (although don't get her angry....she is abit of a mentalist)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skiingpepsi, Excellent location for the most important reason, to ski. I know it but not stayed there. It is a Crystal property, TBH with them you get what you pay for. I doubt you will get a qualified chef! Probably someone that has blagged the interview, saying that when we stayed with a TO rather than smaller owner run properties we have had good holidays. Do not necessarily expect en suite or fabulous cuisine at their prices, and you will have a blast!

Enjoy!
snow report
skiingpepsi, tripadviser will display poor reviews for pretty much any hotel/accomm on the planet... i think generally it sums up the holiday rather than the accomm itself... after all it is what you make it! Smile You'll have a great time! Avoriaz is fantastic!
snow report
My tip for eating in Avoriaz - go somewhere else, it's charmless, restaurants full of people eating burgers.
ski holidays
ianrusper, Never had a burger in Avoriaz! Have eaten Christophe LeRoy's quality fare mind you! I am sure that if you want to find a burger you may find one. Possibly down by the Scandinavian end of town perhaps, but there are indeed some extremely goood restaurants if you want that!
ski holidays
ianrusper, i had a lovely burger in Avoriaz, and yes it was down at the Scandinavian end... but there was plenty of other choice...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy