Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glossary of skiing terms Discussion Thread

Poster: A snowHead
I'm fine - I have my rapier wit and insightful comments to see me through Very Happy Good acronym though Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, you going? , i didnt know about it as Im not allowed in the Apres zone being a humourless anal twit Toofy Grin

how bout some tele soon, i finally got my VIST plates soreted out and Alistar chirped up recently... the tele stuff kinda died after MK skipped their gear but i wouldnt mind a go, you could video me and do some MA wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, I'm on the disabled list at the moment but could possibly do some videoing.

DaveC, I know you'll be ok unless the Griz fails to cough up the goods at all this year (painful memories of the WROD a week before Xmas in Fernie but he sorted us by the following week)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, soz didnt know, your knee still playing up? i was joking about the video, with a massive 3 hours of telemarking under my belt might be a wee early for critique... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:
fatbob, soz didnt know, your knee still playing up? i was joking about the video, with a massive 3 hours of telemarking under my belt might be a wee early for critique... Very Happy

You'd probably be able to see quite a lot as soon as you get past the Bambi on Ice stage though. I spent a day rebuilding on a bunny slope last year when the main mountain was crapped out by wind and found it was a worthwhile investment of time.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
After almost a year the list of terms is pretty well defined so has been made a new separate thread from the original creation thread to make it easier to use.

Please use this thread for any questions you may have, clarification of definitions that dont make sense and any graffiti or abuse that you may wish to post.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, I'd just like to say well done mate. And add, as only i would, that should some of these terms and phrases be as common as some believe, there'd be no need for them in the glossary. Nice one. Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Forgot there are a few more terms tbd

Rise Line - the opposite of Fall line. The rise line is an imaginary line running directly uphill from any point on the slope. This term typically used to define a point above a racing gate representing where a turn should begin. How high up the rise line a turn should begin is dependent on slope steepness, conditions and where the next gate is located.

Any good?

oh forgot the secondary definition

Rise Line - the point at which fellow snowheads get irritated and lose interest in inane childish arguments and just go back to what they like discussing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oh and some more pedandtry...

BOOT SOLE LENGTH - the length of your boot (in millimetres) measured at the bottom of your boot and including the lugs that hold your boot into the binding. This measurement is important and used to determine your DIN setting on your bindings so that you release correctly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rise line - how high up the turn should begin also depends on the ability of the skier, with better skiers turning closer to the gate - I think this comes from "The Athletic Skier".
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowboarding should be added as a heretic activity.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Derek Jackson, good point

Rise Line - the opposite of Fall line. The rise line is an imaginary line running directly uphill from any point on the slope. This term typically used to define a point above a racing gate representing where a turn should begin. How high up the rise line a turn should begin is dependent on slope steepness, conditions, where the next gate is located and how skillful the skier is as the faster racer will typically turn closer to the gates.

Any better?

should modify the secondary definition Toofy Grin

Rise Line - the height to which snowheads will rise to the Bait when being abused. Also known as the bait line.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, I agree with szk great work.
How about Phantom Foot.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
demos, i dont board so havent done any boarding terms. go for it if you fancy getting involved snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jbob wrote:
skimottaret, I agree with szk great work.
How about Phantom Foot.

Im not sure SZK is the biggest fan of this exercise but the publicity has got things moving again. NehNeh

Phantom foot is a great one. I am assuming you mean injuries or are you referring to Mr. Harbs move? have a go.....
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
demos, i dont board so havent done any boarding terms. go for it if you fancy getting involved snowHead

I don't either. Therefore the simple addition to the skiing terminology is needed.

Snowboarding: A heretic activity mostly practised by youth. Includes smoking of a great amount of tobacco and other more interesting stuff as well as sitting in the middle of the piste.
snow report
demos, put that on the "alternative" thread
snow conditions
skimottaret, That's my business, PR. Toofy Grin
latest report
skimottaret, happy to, but I am away on holiday for three weeks, if someone wants to have a go or I can do it when I get back.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
skimottaret, That's my business, PR. Toofy Grin

I'll also happily wind people up for cash, if that's PR these days Wink
snow conditions
Phantom Foot Injury - A common knee ski injury, termed the "Phantom Foot" due to the leg and foot being rigidly attached to the ski effectivly increasing their overall length. Phantom Foot injuries can occur when the tail of the downhill ski, in combination with the stiff back of the ski boot, acts as a lever to apply a unique combination of twisting and bending loads to the knee and typically results in a torn ACL during relatively slow falls or movements.

Three types of situations typically lead to the Phantom Foot Injuries:

Attempting to get up while still moving after a fall.
Attempting a recovery from an off-balance position.
Attempting to "sit down" after losing control.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 18-09-08 10:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
skimottaret, Just reading through some of the glossary I've noticed that it's also lacking terms to do with cross country skiing. Whilst I'm far from an expert, I might be able to contribute a few terms if you wish snowHead . It might take me a short while though. There may be others who know more...
Also I'm just wondering if you should distinguish between crampons (that attach to directly to boots and worn without skis) and ski crampons (or couteux/harscheisen). Not that I've done ski mountaineering but I could imagine those that do might use both.
snow report
peura, i dont know anything about cross county, snowboarding, or adaptive and if you want to help please feel free snowHead

Why dont you in the first instance just jot down all the terms you can think of for XC and then when time permits tackle one at a time. YOu may even get some help who knows wink

good point on the different type of crampons
snow report
CRAMPONS - There are two types of Crampons used when ski mountaineering or touring.

Boot Crampons - Are fitted to the boot and are used when hiking/climbing without skis on.

Ski Crampons - aka couteux and harscheisen. Are fitted to the underside of ski touring bindings and provide the skier with stability when crossing icy or rocky terrain. When gliding or walking with touring bindings the heel is free to move upwards and the crampons are not in contact the the snow during the forward glide. Once the foot is forward, the heel comes down and the crampon, which is slightly wider than the ski protrudes below the base of the ski, "bites" into the surface.
latest report
skimottaret, try "touring" skis....

I understand the term very differently to the way snowHead use it.... My friends stick me on touring gear and it is XC gear - not traditional or skating skis... but not as heavy as tele skis.... A light touring set up is light for traveling a long distance and climbing with - but they will have metal edges so assist hold ... binding 3-pin or more often Nordic Norm IIRC ..... commonly they are patterned base (for climbing undulating terrain) and you fit skins for steeper climbs....

Alpine touring is another critter again (equiv to Randonnee = French for can't tele)
ski holidays
Like these...

http://www.skinnyskis.com/CAT_Touring_Skis.aspx
snow report
skimottaret, I only know a few Embarassed. I'll place some jumbled thoughts down and let you turn them into something sensible snowHead
* classic technique - the old method of XC skiing whereby when slides along with the feet parallel. Normally* used in machine formed groves. Uses double chambered skis and a free heel binding.
* skating technique - the more modern method of xc skiing. Unsurprisingly it looks rather like skating. Using single cambered skis and a fixed heel binding.
* double chambered skis) - to allow a "wax pocket" in which to put "grip wax" or "fish scales". When pressure is applied to the ski it bends it so that the centre area contacts with the snow and grips, allowing propulsion. When the pressure is removed the centre area is raised from the ground allowing the ski to slide forward easily.
* grip/kick wax - placed in the centre of the ski to stick to the snow. Used in place of "fish scales".
* glide wax - used elsewhere on the skis, like "normal wax" DH skiers know about.
* fish scales - pattern like fish scales to stop the ski sliding back. Used on "waxless skis"
* Double poling - propelling oneself using just the arms. Normally used when travelling fast ie downhill or by racers.
* Double pole with kick - as double poling but with a single leg kick on the recovery movement of the arms.
* Diagonal stride - propulsion method used by classical skier in which the left leg and right arm are used to push, then the right leg and left arm.

I know (even) less about skating than classic so I'm not sure of their propulsion techniques.

Edit * when XC skiing. However, I guess it is the technique used by touring and/or Randonee skiers.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 18-09-08 12:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
peura,

I was told the concept is .... skate step 1) arms go forward.... skate step 2) pole with both hands - so both arms go back....

So the arms go back and forward - one full cycle to each TWO skate steps...

skate steps - just like alpine ones... push and glide bringing foot back under body
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger, my impression is that they use different ratios of arm push to leg kicks and other subtle differences depending on the nature of the terrain. I have seen these called "gears" but obviously that's only a metaphor.
latest report
peura, could be.... what I wrote was just the instructions they gave me when they sent me off....(they know I can alpine ski).... I've never managed to be in right place at right time for a lesson (stupid that.... I have a tele/bc examiner wants to teach me and I keep not working out the logistics).... I'm going to have to try to be in USA at same time as one of them is around - seems my best bet as they don't spend much time with groups there....
snow report
little tiger, were you "ski touring" or XC skiing at that time? From my limited knowledge I thought that "ski tourers" used a form of diagonal striding, but perhaps without a glide. If you've got a free heel, I'd have thought trying to skate would be a bit Skullie .
This http://www.roberts-1.com/xcski/skate/motion/index.htm provides some help on the skating.
latest report
peura, ummm racing Embarassed well you see there were 500 people - most of them very drunk... and they ski from pub to pub... around 5 pubs....beer at each I was given a couple of different sets of instructions for different "styles" of going forward.... and told to just test out the alpine stuff for downhill....

As a hint - the serious guys ski it in around 12minutes.... anyone not back in 2hours is out.... I enjoyed the beers Twisted Evil
snow conditions
little tiger, Laughing that won't have helped with the technique Toofy Grin . I'm not sure how well I'd be able to ski after 5 beers in 12 minutes Embarassed . I've never heard of a ski race/pub crawl thingy - now there's a new term for the glossary. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
peura, yep and the time stops when you finish the beer - not when you cross the line... so a real contender has to be able to ski fast and drink fast...
ski holidays
skimottaret, excellent glossary list - thanks
snow conditions
little tiger, I don't think I'd be any good at that sort of race. No good at doing either fast Embarassed .
Anyway are the definitions any good anyone?
snow report
peura, they look fine, i'm wondering whether or not to stick them all under a section on cross country skiing or to spread them out alphabetically... not sure which would be more useful
snow report
skimottaret, unless or until someone comes up with more words I'd go with the latter option otherwise it would be a pretty short section Laughing . If you do go with the former herringboning is used when going uphill just as you've defined it for DH skiing. Except I that found it much easier with "skinny skis" without a metal edge than I did with carving skis Puzzled. Maybe, it was the fishskales helping Confused ?
latest report
Quote:

I'll place some jumbled thoughts down and let you turn them into something sensible

thanks rolling eyes as ive never been on cross country skis not sure i can help there... any other XC skiers in the house?
ski holidays
Erm.... can I ask what 'stoke' means please?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy