Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glossary of skiing terms Discussion Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Scissoring - When viewed from above the position a skier is in during a turn when they have their inner ski ahead of the outside ski with the ski tip diverging away from the outside ski.

Tip Lead - When one ski is leading the other whilst both skis are parallel to each other. Inner tip lead is when the Inner ski is forward of the Outer ski and visa versa.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
'Basic Swing' see 'Plough-Parallel'
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Waist Steering - A method used to turn the skis. By using the center core abdomenal muscles to tip the skis on edge and power the outside ski and outside half of our body through the turn, while simultaneously establishing an efficient and strong stance that serves as a perfect base for more advanced turns.

Any good?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, as a keen Pilates practitioner, I'm a great fan of abdominal muscles (which should preferably be engaged at all times) but surely you can't use just those to tip the skis, as your definition appears to imply? Isn't waist steering just twisting the upper body (that is the body above the waist, not the body above the hips) and, as such, A Bad Thing in skiing, at least as a means to getting the legs to do the right thing? Confused

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 22-04-08 14:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, if you twist more than the core abdominals which could lead to shoulder swinging it is a bad thing but if you twist just the core keeping the shoulders square it can be a good thing for carving. this is contentious in that some think waist steering is just a fancy name for countering but i think the difference is that if you use the oblique muscles you can tip the skis on edge as well as counter. im no expert on this topic and was just having ago at a definition.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Foot Steering - turning the skis primarily by twisting the feet and knee joints. Typically good for quick rotary movements of the skis when the ski bases are flat to the snow but can place too much strain on the knee joints if the skis are on edge or in when skiing difficult snow conditions.

Leg Steering - aka Thigh steering, aka Femur steering. Turning the skis by holding the hip joint still and moving the femur across the body. Usually used to get the skis tips to move to the inside of the turn adn increase edge angle on both skis.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, sorry, I slipped in an edit to clarify that, in effect, you couldn't use just your waist to turn your legs and that was the bit that specifically puzzled me. I certainly agree that engaging the abs will assist in engaging the rest of the core, as well being essential in countering/angulation. I suppose that, in fact, you will never achieve separation of upper and lower body (and keep the lower body working efficiently) unless you engage the abs. Sorry, I think we're on the same wavelength here, it's just that I found your wording a bit puzzling and I can't at the moment think how to improve on them. Embarassed Come in CEM!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, Waist steering is twisting the body below the waist, and it does just tip the skis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs,
Quote:

Waist steering is twisting the body below the waist

Ah, important word! Maybe that's how the definition should read, reference to the abdominal muscles possibly just confuses the issue.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Maybe that's how the definition should read

have a go at a definition....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, bloody hell, that's a bit of challenge for someone who doesn't ski very well, let alone know or teach the theory thereof! But, using your template how about: a method used to turn the skis, by engaging core strength to twist the body below the waist so as to tip the skis on edge and power the outside ski and outside half of our body through the turn, while simultaneously establishing an efficient and strong stance that serves as a stable base and facilitates countering/angulation as necessary.

I'm sorry I can't say precisely which muscles you engage to do this, but I'm pretty sure it involves at least the glutes, and very likely the quads, as well as the abs.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, excellent wording, i will amend accordingly
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, omigod, hold the front page, I have contributed something to BzK. I need to go and have a lie down.

But, thinking more about it, I wonder whether - in the vernacular! - it isn't just: holding in your tummy and your bum so as to give you more stability to leg steer and to counter/angulate.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, just be aware that waiststeering is not a universally accepted concept in ski teaching/coaching Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
veeeight wrote:
skimottaret, just be aware that waiststeering is not a universally accepted concept in ski teaching/coaching Wink
He is aware:
Quote:

this is contentious

Why, in your estimation, is it not accepted? Is it because it is considered a meaningless concept, or is it because - having had a meaning attributed to it - some teachers/coachers don't think the technique should be used?
snow conditions
Hurtle, haven't got time now to go into depth, but utilising the core muscles and pelvis rotation is not a new concept................ many nations (eg: Swiss) have been using this approach for a long time. Is it a new technique (unlikely), or a new methodology? At the end of the day skiing at the highest level is all about creative variation so what works for that guy, great.
ski holidays
veeeight, I agree that waist steering is in some ways just a fancy name for what people have been doing for a while. I include it for completeness, in a similar vein to "arcing"....

THe glossary has shaped up well. I am debating whether or not to add typically used foreign words lke Graupel or Speiss turns etc. and perhaps some racing terminology may be in order... But terms like rise line may not be of much interest.... The other thing to add is named drills but without diagrams it is kinda hopeless...
ski holidays
I think I know what a Charleston is but could someone enlighten me as to "powersideslip" and "royal(e)". Many thanks.
ski holidays
skimottaret, I agree, a most worthy addition to the SHs capability. I would add words like Graupel - it's quite commonly seen without necessarily being commonly understood.

Re drills maybe a separate glossary - or the Wiki (lots more space for animations/pics and expansive text)

ianmacd, I would expect a powersideslip to be a bit like a racing sideslip...like any other one but at pace. A royale turn looks a bit like this...

And that's probably an excellent illustration of how skis can now generate much higher edge angles than they could then...
snow report
David Murdoch, okay summer is upon us. Teaching hours have dried up and time is plentiful..... (ps cool old guy, old school royale photo)

Lets get a missing elements list together.... As a first pass.. Any others spring to mind

A few terms:
harscheisen aka couteaux
Rise line
Graupel
skins
Outside hand blocking
Inside hand blocking

Gate combinations i Slalom courses
hairpin
flush/verticale
royal flush
banana
over/open
closed/under

DRILLS to add (that i can think of)
Royales
Swedish (or is it Swiss ) turns
Norweigian pole plants
Garlands
Hoppsving
thousand steps
J turns
Speiss turns
Chinese Ploughs (the stupidest drill since the invention of the jet turn)
cowboys aka john wayne turns
midgets and giants
falling leaf
pole outriggers
powerplough
hockey stop
Powerslide slip (no clue on that one Toofy Grin )
Hourglass (aka "Crazy Legs") carved turns alternating between simultaneously on both inside and then simultaneously on both outside edges, for lateral flexibility in legs and hips.
White Pass Turn

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 24-04-08 15:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
'strewth, these are seriously colourful names. I can't wait.
snow conditions
skimottaret, more for your list:
Term: White Pass Turn
Drill: Hourglass (aka "Crazy Legs") - carved turns alternating betwen simultaneously on both inside and then simultaneously on both outside edges, for lateral flexibility in legs and hips.

I see you've already got harscheisen/couteaux. Could consider Dynafit binding system..

Gate combinations: hairpin, flush/verticale, royal flush, banana, over/open, closed/under gates.
snow report
Thanks David Murdoch.
What is that drill (Royale) for?
ski holidays
ianmacd, it wasn't a drill, but a "ski ballet" move. This is more what I understand it to be than that other picture. Discussed here

skimottaret, another drill - Chinese Snowplough.
snow report
GrahamN, i hate that drill as i dont see what it does is helpful at all. Also find it really difficult to get rid of that tendency especially in beginner kids so would hate to encourage it, rant over...
snow report
skimottaret, thanks and sorry didn't think to use the search button.
snow conditions
skimottaret, ah, good on you. Offhand, I can't think of a better drill to encourage A-framing, but thought it ought to be in the definitions (even if you wanted to add a rider of "DON'T DO IT").
ski holidays
GrahamN, sorry should be thanking you. Back to lurk mode.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The "Royale" turn was originally called the "Reuel" turn. Interesting excerpt from John Fry's book here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=FOhrjSuy6rsC&pg=PA221&lpg=PA221&dq=Reuel+turns+ski&source=web&ots=tEagYZ7HLs&sig=X1Y58BbKS0bjeUn7XRfImuztgrM&hl=en

(Reading that link a little further, how about the stunt called the "Deep Crotch Christie"? Ooh-err...)
snow conditions
Hoppsving Drill - Skier performs small two-footed hops, off centre of skis, around the entire arc of the turn, while maintaining a strong upper body position. Skier should remain balanced to the outside ski even though hops are performed off of both skis and that the skis are parallel to the snow surface during the hops.
ski holidays
Speiss Drill - aka Short swings - Skier performs small jump (with ankles) to turn the skis perpendicular to the line of travel while
keeping hips, shoulders facing down the fall line. Upper body is stabilized with a pole plant.
ski holidays
skimottaret, wink
ski holidays
beanie1, are those definitions any good or would you amend anything?
latest report
skimottaret, no i think they're good. In fact i think you've explained hoppsving better than the cscf!
snow conditions
Cloudburst Drill - A very high end drill to develop the ability to influence the radius of a carved turn. At the end of a carved turn the skier rotates the skis downhill at 90 degrees to the path of the turn, creating a side slip across the slope. The skis are then brought back approx. 60 degrees onto the new carving edge to start the next turn. When coming back 60 degrees skis should stay on the same edge and not revert to the previous turn. ISTD's should be able to do this drill on a red run.
ski holidays
Hurtle, sorry for the late entry

there is a new strengthening exercise for the glutes and piriformis which i have aded to the exercise page on the web site ... http://www.solutions4feet.com/cp7.php this exercise is really really good at building those stabilizing muscles in the pelvis which also play a role in the knee being allowed to collase inwards.... follow the instructions carefully and enjoy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:
I agree, a most worthy addition to the SHs capability. I would add words like Graupel - it's quite commonly seen without necessarily being commonly understood.
I agree too, very useful. I think "whiteout" and "flat light" should also be defined, preferable qualitatively for the former, since they're often misused.
ski holidays
peura, good ideas, have a go at some definitions wink
snow report
skimottaret, not getting the cloudburt idea. Diagram? And can you do it? Twisted Evil
snow report
David Murdoch, if I understand skimottaret correctly, just after the transition while the skis are flattened pivot the skis into the new turn and overdo it so you are in a high speed sideslip, ski-tips pointing to the centre of the new turn, then straighten them back and gently engage the edges to carve the remainder of the turn. Done (ISTM) to get good fore-aft balance + edge control and the feel of drift'n'lock entry into a tight turn. The sideslip part is pretty scary, particularly if you're doing it at full speed as if you flatten the skis too much you can catch a downhill edge and SPLATTT!!!. That's not good, particularly on plastic (fortunately I've avoided that particular indignity so far, although I did take a big hit when messing about similarly on snow), but there it also bu%%ers up your nicely tuned edges in double quick time. One of our guys who recently passed his (old) 1 Tech got me to try a few of them a couple of weeks back. Didn't do too badly for a first attempt, but I probably didn't swing the skis into the turn far enough.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy