Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glossary of skiing terms Discussion Thread

Poster: A snowHead
comprex, little tiger, Think I have got it now, many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having just done the MK booking system I noted that one area of competency they ask for is the ability to do 'linked turns', do they mean one turn that follows from another - to make a constant S shaped shoosh shoosh shoosh shape on the snow. I can't do this yet but I can manage a turn linked to the end of a short traverse across the hill. Could someone add a description for 'linked turn' please?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, whilst I wouldn't dare to post anything resembling an opinion on BZK wink , maybe the subtext of that question is "are you going to be a hazard to yourself or others?". The ability to "link turns" without saying what sort of turns they are - big high speed turns swooping right across the slope and back may well be "linked" but might not be the safest thing on a crowded beginner slope - seems fairly meaningless, but I'll guess that it's an attempt to describe a degree of control. A quote from the BASI Central theme manual (probably out of date before my throat is torn out by baying hounds Confused ) may assist you to understand, or it may not. I say nothing, but I have highlighted a little bit.
Quote:
There are two key factors which determine the overall shape and size of a turn: its radius, and its arc length. The turn radius describes the size of the (part) circle round which the skis travel. The arc length is the distance the skis continue round that circle before the new turn begins.
Take the example of someone who is trying to ski precisely within an imaginary corridor. They can achieve this in various ways: at one extreme they might make very long-radius turns, while keeping the arc length short enough to avoid over-shooting the margins of the corridor; at the other extreme, they might make very short-radius turns, but continue round each arc until reaching the corridor margins.
Two things distinguish these different lines: in the former case, the rate of descent is faster, and the vertical distance covered by each turn is greater. In fact, many attempts by skiers to make 'short-radius turns' are actually long- radius, short-arc turns. This is the main reason why so many skiers have difficulty controlling their speed when skiing narrow runs.
At the other extreme, many skiers have difficulty making long-radius, long- arc turns. Instead of allowing the skis to turn gradually, they make quick turns and then allow the skis to traverse before starting the next turn. This leads to a loss of rhythm, and makes each turn harder to initiate.
Unquote.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That explains, why, when I'm stood at the top of the hill with fellow BASI colleagues, and I suggest some short radius turns, they ask,

short radius, long arc, or long radius, short arc. rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

In fact, many attempts by skiers to make 'short-radius turns' are actually long- radius, short-arc turns. This is the main reason why so many skiers have difficulty controlling their speed when skiing narrow runs.
At the other extreme, many skiers have difficulty making long-radius, long- arc turns. Instead of allowing the skis to turn gradually, they make quick turns and then allow the skis to traverse before starting the next turn.

Mmmmm............I've got a funny feeling I don't do either of them Laughing Laughing

I do however, understand the explanation which is good Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They even draw you a pic just in case the words don't penetrate the post Genepi fug....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And demonstrate the subtle use of skidding to wipe off speed Toofy Grin
bit confusing this as the skis appear to deviate the same distance from the fall line in both cases - maybe they meant "across" the fall line Puzzled
- specially posted for veeeight Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 9-12-07 20:21; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Urrrggghhh.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So, Hurtle, when
comprex wrote:
Quote:

Is it what's called spring snow in Europe?

The categories are not congruent and so identity is not possible. 'Corn' is a subset of 'spring'.

he actually meant "yes". comprex, not all snow, by a long chalk, skied in the spring is "spring snow".
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yoda, and offpisteskiing I have tried to tidy up the definitions of plough parallel and stem christy turns and highlight the differences but not sure i have done it justice, any comments?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great work here.

How about 'A-Frame' and 'sitting in the back seat'? I've seen them mentioned quite a lot (in a negative way) but I'm not sure what exactly they mean. Are they general terms or just Snowheads terms?

'A-frame' seems to be something to do with leg shape below the knee but I wouldn't know if I'm doing it or not.

'Sitting in the back seat' I'm guessing is leaning forward by sticking your rear out, the cure for which, as someone brilliantly and succinctly put, is to think 'shag, not sh#t'.

[EDIT - Oops, backseat is there]
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jeraff, 'A frame' is a good one, i will add my 2 pennies but a framing is a debatable term. Back seat is already there BTW... wink

A - FRAME - The position that a skiers legs gets into when the outside leg's knee collapses into the inner knee when turning, or, when the inner knee is not angulated into the centre of the turn. Is typically (but not always) seen as a problem to be eliminated when skiers are using shaped skis as can be a "weak" ski position.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, yep, I spotted the 'backseat' after posting, hence the [EDIT...]. But I still wanted to repeat the 'shag, not sh#t' comment (oh I did it again) wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jeraff, i like the sh.. not sh.. and will dutifully add to the "alternative glossary of terms... or could put in "fornicate" not "deficate" as the french say...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, maybe add to the "Plough Parallel" definition OPS's comment that rotation of the ski brings the tip in and the tail out to regain the plough shape, as otherwise your "Plough Parallel" remains stuck in the parallel phase and there is no transition to the next turn, unless the next turn is a parallel turn of course ? And is it not the case that similar rotation but in the opposite direction brings the skis parallel from the plough shape? That's if you agree of course wink
latest report
Yoda, I agree and have already tried to put his comment in a couple of days ago.... i came up with the following, what do you recon? i am rubbish at plough parallels BTW....

PLOUGH PARALLEL TURN - A turn that starts in a plough and as the turn finishes the inside ski is rotated about the foot to match the outside ski and form a parallel shape during the transition to the next turn. To start the next turn the skis are rotated about the foot to bring the tips inwards and the tail outwards reforming the plough shape going into the next turn. The outside leg is extended at the beginning of the turn to initiate pressure.
snow conditions
skimottaret, that'll be a stem turn/stem christie then will it not?
ski holidays
David Murdoch, in a stem the axis of rotation is through the tip of the ski whilst in a plough parallel it's through the centre (foot). Some folk have the same problem with short swings, where the rotation occurs around the tips instead of the feet (I have this problem Toofy Grin )

skimottaret, not bad, maybe "initiate pressure" could be something like "start pressurising the new turning (i.e. outside) ski"?
snow conditions
A more BASI-like sentence would read:

To start the next turn the skis are rotated about the foot to bring the tips inwards and the tail outwards, reforming the plough shape going into the next turn. Balance is then established on the (new) outside ski to progressively build pressure through the turn.
snow report
Yoda, I wasnt too happy with the last sentence on plough parallel either, thanks for pointing that out.

veeeight, I like it and have updated accordingly.

Anyone fancy a go at Waist Steering?
snow report
Waist steering - sounds like the waist would be leading both outside shoulder and hip into the turn, so allowing the uphill ski to follow a path different to the downhill ski. Puzzled Puzzled

Dont know about all the techy stuff behind it, but no doubt it works and thats fine for me Smile
snow report
BZK Bend Zee Knees - A much derided and despised sub forum of an internet chat room called Snowheads. Had a short pathetic life and quietly passed away in Dec. 07. wink
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
BZK Bend Zee Knees - A much derided and despised sub forum of an internet chat room called Snowheads. Had a short pathetic life and quietly passed away in Dec. 07. wink

I hope not - have just read all 5 pages, fantastic stuff.

Has got me thinking about technique again before I head out to Obertauern!
ski holidays
Supersonic, in joke... you need to read this one as well - you'll do well...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35525&highlight=
snow report
Yoda, I don't see how the axis of rotation can be through the tip - as there's nothing anchoring it? Surely in any skidded turn the axxis of ski rotation is roughly around the feet?
ski holidays
David Murdoch, "axis" is the hinge or fulcrum point of any rotational moment on a plane. It can be variable when applied tin this case to skiing as there is a lateral factor wink
snow conditions
Masque, sure, but in the skiers Frame of Reference I don't see how you can rotate around either the CoM or a fixed point and in most cases this won't be through the tips of the skis?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, On my ASSI course the plough parallel technique taught was, just before the end of the plough turn, to slightly lift the tail of the inside/uphill ski up & step it parallel with the outside/downhill ski, effectively pivotting it around the tip of the ski. Once mastered this move is progressively repeated earlier & earlier in the turn.
ski holidays
spyderjon, that isnt a plough parallel turn technique, that is a stem christy turn. Did you do your assi on plastic? if so plough parallels are very hard to do on that surface IMO and most teach stem turns.

Is it a good idea to demonstrate to beginners lifting the inside ski and step it over?
ski holidays
spyderjon, I'm somewhat surprised that they tought you to do that Confused One of the problems I find with plough parallel is exactly that - when the skis become matched what the beginner "sees" is the heel (tail of the uphill ski) being "pulled in", rather than the foot being rotated to move the tip away from and the tail towards the downhill ski simultaneously. They need a lot of persuading (and good demos wink ) to be convinced otherwise.
snow report
Yoda, skimottaret, spyderjon, Gotcha - with the aid of the SNSC Central Theme PDF I see what you mean. Ta. For the avoidance of doubt Stem = extension out of foot into a plough to aid initiation | PP = rotation of ski about foot from plough to parallel??
snow conditions
David Murdoch, correct, and you seem to be getting into this stuff, do i feel an instructor course in your future wink
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
For the avoidance of doubt Stem = extension out of foot into a plough to aid initiation | PP = rotation of ski about foot from plough to parallel??

Yes, that's what I understand it to be.
snow conditions
skimottaret, On snow at Xscape.

Yoda, Agreed.
snow report
spyderjon, hmm... sorry dont want to sound like i am having a go at you but it doesnt sound good to me that they are teaching instructors to demo stem christies on snow as opposed to PP's ... sounds like your ASSI tutor needs to emphasize central theme more instead of "old school" techniques....
snow report
skimottaret, Agreed. I was 'put right' when I did my refresher.
snow conditions
Added Flowline, herringbone, AFD and Pre Release

Any ideas on definitions for the various forms of Un weighting
ski holidays
Javelin Turns - A drill which is performed by completely lifting the inside ski from the snow and pointing it across the outside ski. The inside ski is lifted off the snow at or before the edge change of the new outside ski. At the end of the turn the inside ski is deliberately placed back on the snow and then becomes the new outside ski.

Charleston Turns – A drill where the skier performs a series of short radius turns on the inside ski while keeping the outside ski off the snow. Done well it it very rhythmical and looks like the Charleston dance step.
snow report
Crust - A hard snow surface lying upon a softer layer; crust may be formed by sun, rain or wind, and is described as breakable crust or unbreakable crust, depending upon whether it will break under the weight of a turning skier.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy