Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glossary of skiing terms Discussion Thread

Poster: A snowHead
KNEE ANGULATION: A form of angulation in which the lower leg is tipped more into the turn than the upper leg. Generally used as a means of managing lateral balance (keeping or moving weight to the outside ski) while putting a ski on edge. It's accomplished by flexing the knee and rotating the leg toward the inside of the turn, while not turning the foot. As an angulation option, it provides the greatest range of balance management potential, but also creates a weak and more injury prone body position.

HIP ANGULATION: A form of angulation in which the legs are tipped more into the turn than the upper body. Generally used as a means of managing lateral balance (keeping or moving weight to the outside ski) while putting a ski on edge. It's accomplished by either tipping sideways at the waist, or facing the upper body toward the outside of the turn and flexing forward at the waist. Provides a safer and stronger body position for resisting turn forces than does knee anglulation.

EDGE ANGLE: The angle formed between the snow, and the base of a tipped ski. The larger the angle, the more the ski will bend, and the sharper the skier will turn.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 22-11-07 8:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whoops,,, didn't look to see edge angle was already there till I posted. Looks the same, except I added a bit about turn implications.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FastMan, Thanks, have updated.

Martin Bell, couldnt resist and added grass skiing, is it really a FIS event?

SZK, have put your "non" technical definitions in the Alternative glossary, any more good ones?

graham have added centrifugal....

Anyone fancy a go at Railing or Rotation?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
zzz.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 22-11-07 19:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, how about when one makes grand sweeping generalisations? wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
apex shouldn't that be the point of max centripetal force/centrifugal resistance?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I want some "knee angulation" vs "hip angulation" examples...thanks!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Addition to Mountain Guide, "are easily recognised by significant facial hair and the membership of the UIAGM"
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
New term, Park and Fly, an involuntary event that occurs when ones skis hit an immovable object causing a catapult (and probable somersault) of the rider forwards while the skis come to an immediate and possibly structurally catastrophic halt.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can we find some "Slow Dog Noodle" video please?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have you noticed I missed my flight and am having to wait for the next one? Word to the wise DO NOT FLY EASYJET AMSTERDAM TO GENEVA.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
have tried to do railing and rotation, any comments

ROTATION - Rotation is a a twisting of the joints and is one of three fundamental elements employed by the skier to turn the skis. The other two elements being 'edging' and 'pressuring'. In foot rotation the feet and ankles are twisted into the turn with the skis staying relatively flat to the surface of the slope. A good example of turning using only rotation is the 'Braquage' drill.

Also used to describe the rotation of the skiers upper body, with over rotation generally being a bad habit with early stage skiers who attempt to steer the skis by turning their shoulders into the inside of the turn. See 'coutner' for a description of under rotation.

RAILING - An exercise where the skier tips both skis on edge and the turn is made by letting the skis sidecut dictate the turn radius. The desired turn should leave narrow railroad looking tracks in the snow with little or no skidding.

Also describes the bad trait of when a skier is trying to 'carve' a turn but is only using edging and not actively pressuring the skis.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
come on team, almost there....... have added some stuff on telemarking

anyone fancy a go at foot or waist steering....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
added a few more

STEM TURN- Similar to a snow plough turn, but different in that the plough shape gets narrower during the transition to a new turn and when entering the next turn the outside ski is brushed outwards. The next stage in this type of turn would be to get the skis fully parallel at the transition and make 'stem christies'.

STEM STEP TURN - A turn made by picking up and stepping out the inside ski off the surface of the snow to quickly form a stable plough shape. Is used primarily in difficult snow conditions such as breakable crust

STEM CHRISTY TURN - The term "Christy" derives from Christiana (now Oslo) where it was developed. The skier initiates a full or partial snowplough turn from a parallel traverse by "stemming" or, brushing the tail of the uphill and new-outside ski up and into the snowplough and completes the turn by retracting the opposite ski back down to become parallel once the turn has finished. Rather old fashioned way of skiing and was used more with straight skis lacking sidecut. The modern equivalent is the 'plough-parallel turn' where the skier doesnt brush out the heel, nor lift the inside ski.

PARALLEL TURN - A turn where both the skis are matched and parallel to each other for the duration of the turn, and both of the inside ski edges are engaged. Parallel turns where the skis are fully engaged and not skidding are known as being 'carved'

PLOUGH PARALLEL TURN - A turn that starts in a plough and as the turn finishes the inside ski is rotated to match the outside ski and form a parallel shape during the transition to the next turn.[/b]

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 30-11-07 12:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, golly, I had no idea there were such fine differences in stem and snowplough turns. Shocked
ski holidays
i could be wrong with those definitions as i made them up myself after trying to come up with a definition of a stem step turn and watching some 'old school' teachers at the dry slope on tuesday.

Some might argue that a stem christy is the same as a plough parallel but I think there is a difference due mainly with doing turns with skinny straight skis or modern skis that have a big side cut. in plough parallel's you dont push out the heel to start the turn rather you have the ski on edge with some pressure and have less weight on the inside ski and rotating it while the edges arent engaged.

I am sure a lot of snowHead 's will say "stop being so anal a turn is a turn". But if you are asked to demonstrate a specific type of turn it is helpful to know what the differences are....
ski holidays
skimottaret, I wasn't implying there weren't any differences - your definitions are extremely clear, each in its own right. It does show that, as a teacher, you analyse movements very finely and, as a pupil, I don't analyse them nearly finely enough! Embarassed
latest report
Hurtle, not suggesting you were. I was inviting debate on this as i could be talking total b*llocks.... I am a newly qualified, in-experienced part time teacher trying to work things out in my head and would be interested to hear the views of our long in the tooth experienced sages on these definitions.
snow report
Actually, I've just thought of something else, in this connection. There's perhaps not a lot of point in including a definition of a maneouvre at all, if there's no actual use for it. That led me on to thinking that it would be great if each defintion included a bit on 'when should you think about using this manoeuvre?' or, as the case may be, 'this was handy to use in such and such circumstances, but is no longer necessary with modern skis' or words to that effect.

Actually, I now see that that sort of thing is in some of the definitions already. Sorry, I'm rambling again... Embarassed
ski holidays
Sorry to intrude, but what is "corn". I have seen the word used in the context of skis being able to "blast" through it. Is it the sugary, granulated, legbreaking stuff? Or are there pistes planted with maize as a form of slalom course?
latest report
Hi, my you have all been working hard here Shocked - I'm really pleased to see the last 5 turn types added - I've always wondered what the differences were.

I do think the definitions of braquage and separation are particularly well done - it wasn't until these were posted that I truely understood what braquage meant although I kept seeing the odd reference to it.
latest report
PsychoBabble, My favourite snow Smile
snow report
PsychoBabble wrote:
Sorry to intrude, but what is "corn".

Next to powder, the most fun there is.

Quote:

I have seen the word used in the context of skis being able to "blast" through it.

Hehhehehehe. Hahahahha.

Quote:

Is it the sugary, granulated, legbreaking stuff?

No. No. And, No.

Quote:

Or are there pistes planted with maize as a form of slalom course?

Corn on piste = UNPOSSIBLE. And that's the amaizeing beauty of it.
latest report
skimottaret, perhaps you could elaborate on how the inside ski is moved during the latter phase of the Plough Parallel turn wink . Also, I'm not sure how one would do a linked series of plough parallels from your description - at the end of the first turn the skis are parallel so how do they get back into the plough shape for the next one if you don't move the inside ski in some way?
ski holidays
Quote:

how one would do a linked series of plough parallels

And, seriously, why one would want to do so? Or is this bit of the glossary an elaborate wind-up? (Not, of course, that I am averse to elaborate wind-ups.)

I too am looking forward to learning what corn snow is. Is it what's called spring snow in Europe?
ski holidays
Hurtlepost wrote:
Quote:

how one would do a linked series of plough parallels

And, seriously, why one would want to do so?

Because otherwise they're stuck after the first one?

Have a look at some of the 'beginner' videos, I think you'll find that linked turns of this nature are the bulk of what's considered 'learning to parallel turn' without actually 'making parallel turns all the time'.

Hurtlepost wrote:

Or is this bit of the glossary an elaborate wind-up?

No. Yoda is asking sm where and how sm distinguishes plough parallel from stem christies.

Quote:

I too am looking forward to learning what corn snow is.

Find a pitch that has plenty of moderate-moisture powder, has never, ever been groomed, and has gone through a series of melt and freeze cycles.

Quote:

Is it what's called spring snow in Europe?

The categories are not congruent and so identity is not possible. 'Corn' is a subset of 'spring'.

Edited to stay on point.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 1-12-07 22:24; edited 2 times in total
latest report
comprex, did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning, or what?
snow conditions
skimottaret

Anticipation: What you feel in the 5 minutes prior to removing ski boots
What you feel on the last run of the day as you see the bar approaching

Banking: What a ski instructor does at the end of the week...

Converging: Many "anticipating" skiers heading to the same bar...

Counter: See Converging or Banking above

Cuff: How to deal with queue jumpers, normally paired with 'around the ear'

Stacking: When all of the other jargon doesn't work...

Wedge Turn: Common among ski instructors at the end of the week before they get to the 'Banking' stage as described above...An excess of cash in one pocket creates an imbalance, thus changeing the aerodynamics and physics of their glide and causing them to change direction... (To speed up or slow down?? oops, lets not go there)

Sorry couldn't resist, good thread though..!! Let it snow!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To clear up a point above, the stem christy was very much a step/move of the tail of the ski outwards to create a snplw/wedge with the tips staying at a similar separation. In a plough parallel the axis of rotation is under the foot (as opposed to the tip of the ski for the Stem Christy) so to regain the wedge shape the tip of the ski moves in & the tail of the ski moves out. Similar, but very different...
snow conditions
no no no it's all getting too complicated again... wink
ski holidays
offpisteskiing, very good. I'm impressed! snowHead
ski holidays
offpisteskiing, how can you have a plough parallel?
ski holidays
David Murdoch,

Easy, one word refers to one part of the turn and the other word refers to the other part of the turn...

veeeight, Plenty more where they came from...unfortunately my currently flu-ridden brain is not playing ball at the mo. Sad
snow report
offpisteskiing, thanks for chipping in i will put your tough in cheek ones on the Alternative glossary of terms and will update the main one here next week. too busy skiing at the moment in tignes, absolutely belting it down right now!!!!!!
ski holidays
little tiger, comprex, Ok so I now know what it isn't, any chance of a clue?
ski holidays
comprex, Ooops, just read the rest of the thread Embarassed
latest report
PsychoBabble, I would answer but some folks find my writing style offends them... so I'll leave others to do so... I'm sure one of the guru self taught skier types will deign to answer you...
snow conditions
little tiger, Look at the username, not easy to offend me (but don't take that as a challenge). I read comprexs' explanation but found it a bit technical. How do I recognise it when I see it? Any pics?
Is it what is referred to as "transformed" snow?
latest report
PsychoBabble, http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/encyclopedia/cornsnow.htm

Quote:

To understand the difference between dry snow and wet snow, imagine a bunch of grapes. In this analogy, the grapes are the snow grains and the grape vines are the crystalline bonds between them. Now, imagine that when you wash the grapes, the grape vines dissolve, leaving you with nothing but free-floating grapes. In the snowpack, when water percolates through the snowpack it dissolves the bonds between crystals—the more saturated the snow, the more it dissolves the bonds, thus, dramatically decreasing the strength of the snow.

So, why doesn’t all wet snow instantly avalanche? Part of the reason comes from the bonding power of water itself. In the Lilliputian world of snow crystals, a tiny bead of water usually clings between the grains, which act like a glue because of the "surface tension" of water. Surface tension means that water tends to cling to itself, which is why rain comes down as discrete drops instead of falling as a fog. The surface tension of water is actually a fairly powerful glue that holds wet snow together.

But when the snow becomes saturated, all the surface tension between the grains instantly disappears because we’ve flooded the caverns with water—turning a snow cone into a margarita. Not only have the bonds disappeared but millions of tiny ice grains are now buoyant, free to slurp down the mountainside like thousands of concrete trucks dumping their load at once. That’s what makes wet slides especially tricky because snow can loose its strength very quickly. Very stable snow can turn into very unstable snow in a matter of an hour or even minutes.

Corn Snow becomes “ripe” when the bonds between the snow grains just start to melt, providing a velvety surface texture perfect for many types of riding. This usually occurs in the morning hours, but the exact timing is very aspect dependent. Seasoned corn harvesters know that predicting this timing is an art form honed through experience. If you’re too early, the frozen surface can rattle out your fillings. Worse is arriving too late, after too many bonds have melted and the corn snow has turned into deep, dangerous slush. The slope that may have been perfect an hour ago is now prime for wet snow avalanches.
snow conditions
PsychoBabble, recognise by feel..... wonderful creamy stuff.... like skiing on icecream Wink

Like comprex said - you need to have places that have not been groomed.... and you have to get it at just the right time.... We make a habit of determining "itineraries" to take advantage of the slope aspects to harvest the corn...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy