Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you go?

Poster: A snowHead
We have got to be in Soll on the 14th of february as we are meeting friends there. But the week before we can go where we like. I was thinking of going to Kronplatz or St Anton, but she who must be obeyed has just said she would like to go to France for the Week. So I need to know if it's practical to travel from a large French resort to Soll using public transport.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skid & slide,

No...

Even if you were in Chamonix..and somehow I don't see you being there..you would have to get over into Switzerland. If you got back to Geneva, you could get a train to Bern...which takes around 4 hours IIRC...then you have to go onto Zurich, through to Innsbruck and then bus to Soll. I don't know when the last bus to Soll is, but it would take a very early start to get there in daylight hours.
And if you are in the Tarentaise, then you would have to get a very early TO bus back to the airport to do this journey.

If your logistics could get you to Martigny, then you could get across Switzerland that way, but again, I don't think the journey would join up too well.

You would have more chance from places like Flims or maybe Wengen..places that are relatively central, or east Switzerland.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And the pass from Chamonix whose name escapes me (Col de Montets?) over to Martigny is sometimes closed by snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, Why don't you see me in Chamonix?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, if the col is closed, does the train still run to Martigny? I'm sure that's a silly question but still...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skid & slide, you can do Chamonix to Munich in about 9.5 hours...it would be a pretty journey I would expect.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skid & slide,

It doesn't sound like you have travelled through the alpes independently..???? that's all

Have you been to Chamonix..?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, I have travelled through the Alps independently that's why I asked the Question. No I have not been to Chamonix. But I do know that you can get a train from Innsbruck to Kufstein. so for someone that Knows it all you don't know a lot do you?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you got a very early TO transfer (some TOs offer them seperately, and my recollection is that they are often hideously early) or private transfer from the French resort to GVA, you could get a train to Zurich, which takes about 3 hours IIRC. From there to Innsbruck by train is about 4 hours, I think (?). Not sure how you get from there to Soll; bus, I guess, or cab (no idea of the distance). Could be done if you're lucky, I reckon. You could stay over in Innsbruck if you had to, I guess, or Geneva.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skid & slide, "If" you include easyjet as public transport then you could fly out from LGW to GVA for the week in France and then back to LGW on 14/02/2009 and get a flight straight out to INN a couple of hours later (if I'm reading the timetable correctly), which is about an hour from Soll and I would imagine a there is a regular bus.

On looking further you could also do this with Grenoble and Lyon airports but of course all these rely on you going via LGW. As already mentioned you could go via a TO to France providing the timings work to get the flight back out from LGW to INN.

Overall, I'd imagine the travel time may be less or at least the same as going by land but considerably less interesting.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, it's a good question actually, I wondered the same thing; I don't know.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pokemon, I was thinking of flying from Geneva, Grenoble or Lyon to Munich, Innsbruck or Salzburg. As I know I can get to Soll from any of them. My choice of French resorts is dependant on the connection with any of the final destinations
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skid & slide, Tell her it is not possible and do something that is easier for you! Kronplatz is nice and although not in the main hub for doing a fair chunk of the Dolomitisuperski area. As I have said before the area up the valleyis better.

I do not think that JT, was having a go at you, just that as a trans european traveller you know the distances and times involved! TBH pokemon, has a solution but may be impracticable for you. At first sight it looks ridiculous but if it is for a full week may work quite well, although travelling shatters me!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skid & slide,

yes, I know where the train goes... didn't think I had to spell it all out for you. But since it sounds like getting back to Geneva will tax you maybe I should have done.
Next time take a look at a map and plot your own route if that is your response to someone who tried to help.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, Where did you help me? All you did was take the pisz. I asked a genuine question Puzzled
snow report
JT, I Will be at the London ski show if you want to meet up but I don't thiink you will
ski holidays
skid & slide wrote:
JT, I Will be at the London ski show if you want to meet up but I don't thiink you will

What sort of comment is that! keep your hat on!

I don't think there is any need to get nasty or personal.
ski holidays
Christopher, agreed, I did delete a totally unnecessary abusive post on this thread.

I think we can all play nicely if we want to.
snow report
Ray Zorro, hmmm ..didn't see that...

Quote:

JT, Where did you help me? All you did was take the pisz. I asked a genuine question

Quote:

Speaks volumes... any one who wants to read all this can make up their own mind about it
snow report
Why not tell the wife she is wrong and go somewhere in Austria for the week and save the hassle - but what would I know I'm a tosser
snow report
JT, Do you want to meet up ?
snow report
What a weird thread.
snow conditions
skid & slide, I do
ski holidays
skid & slide wrote:
JT, Do you want to meet up ?

Do you want to be allowed to continue posting? If so, you'd best rethink your approach.
ski holidays
maybe the wife wants to go to France, leaving the OP in Austria. Sounds like a plan.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, What is your problem ? look at this post from the start. I was asking a genuine qustion And I have been insuulted from the start.
ski holidays
pamw could be onto something, but I think the wife wants to go to France with JT, leaving the OP in Austria. It all falls into place now, does it not? Or maybe, just maybe, the OP and JT want to be in Austria together while the wife is in France. Whichever, it's too a rich a dish for me.
snow report
skid & slide, put the trouses back on S&S and tell her if she sells all her clothes and rents a helicopter you can go to france - otherwise you'll go the Arlberg like a sane person woud... snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skid & slide, get over it and move on or are you a tosser?
snow report
skid & slide, and yes I'm cool for the ski-show punch up too, haven't decided which side I'm on yet!
snow report
tosser, you are nakedzookeeper and I claim my 5€
snow conditions
Hurtle,
Quote:

What a weird thread.

Indeed. Think this is an misunderstanding based on

Quote:

Even if you were in Chamonix..and somehow I don't see you being there..

but don't quite follow Puzzled
ski holidays
skid & slide, You asked a genuine question and got what seemed to most posters to be a genuine answer - that it was unrealistic using the poster's interpretation of practical. I took the reference to Chamonix as being that it isn't a "large French resort" in the sense that many people understand it i.e. ski in/out, joined lift system.

You then got shirty and starting calling people out.

Personally under my definition it would be impractical for cost/travel time reasons unless I had a car. You've already answered your own question by identifying that flying would be the most practical way - what I don't understand is what advice you were expecting from this thread? (and apologies if this is a bit sarky) "Yes there is a daily scheduled helicopter service from Courchevel/La Plagne/Val D to Soll"
latest report
fatbob, What do you mean Chamonix is not a large French ski resort? Of course it is.

Should I call you out at the ski show? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil wink
ski holidays
www.sbb.ch is your friend

and lose the 'tude dude Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Arno, dyou want some?
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
fatbob, What do you mean Chamonix is not a large French ski resort? Of course it is.

Should I call you out at the ski show? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil wink

Surely Chamonix is a large British/Scando ski resort with a few Frenchies to keep up appearances? wink

When I hear large French ski resort I tend to think of the mega ski factories: 3 vallees, Espace Killy, Paradiski,
ski holidays
skid & slide wrote:
Ray Zorro, What is your problem ?

My problem is your attitude. Re-read the whole thread, you will see that JT gave a lot of helpful advice in that first post, but you have decided taken one phrase personally.

This is your thread. You came on asking for information, but have forgotton all that and are now looking to physically assualt someone. The post of yours that I deleted was blatantly abusive. You are a relative newcomer to the site, this is not the way we work on here.
latest report
Right, all of you outside NOW.

Getting back to the OP's question... I've tried France - Austria both by train and by car. For car journey I headed into Italy and bahnstormed the autostrada but it was still a long day in the saddle. Train, forget it. It really is easier to fly to UK and back out again but I'd seriously question why it's worth all the bother when, if you want a change of culture/scenery, the Dolomites aren't that far away.

tosser, tosser.
snow report
Can't you all have the punch up while I'm still in the UK? I'd like to watch!

skid & slide, I don't think anyone meant to insult you. To answer your question, as have many others. France to Austria is not very practical. East of Switzerland - Davos? Pleanty of nice resorts over that way would be much more sensible and then the tunnel into Austria via Lichenstein (which is a very pretty route). If flying from any of the french airports you mentioned then you have your pick of the whole of france pretty much, and would need to decide whether you wanted modern and huge, middling or traditional. food??? French or 'tourist? There are literally hundreds of resorts to suit depending on more info.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy