Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - driving to, skiing at & nightlife

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have run a search but I couldn't find anything that really answered my questions...

I am looking at booking with Equity Ski (All-in option) but taking the discount and driving to the resort - in this instance Saalbach. I'm looking at staying at the Clubhotel Riegler (http://www.equityski.co.uk/skiing-Austria/SAALBACH/Clubhotel-Riegler.aspx). It sounds like the location is spot on and after last years trip to Courchevel with SkiWorld staying in a Clubhotel, we definitely want to stay in something similar.

So... what I would like to know is...

1. How long would it take to drive to the resort from Calais? Puzzled (allowing for toilet stops and the like)

2. What is the skiing like? Puzzled There will be a mixed bunch - 2 intermediate skiiers, 1 beginner and a snowboarder. Will the beginner have to trek far for lessons? Are there many cruising runs? What are the blacks like?

3. What is the nightlife like? Puzzled We aren't looking for clubs - just bars which are lively and friendly.

4. How expensive is the resort? Puzzled Price of a beer? Price of lunch?

I look forward to your help and advice!

Cheers,

Chris Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Allow 1 day

2. Alround. Something for everyone. If you have experts then its limited.

3. TOP

4. Reasonable, cheaper than London.

Have fun.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't remember how long it took to drive, but I think it was around 12 hours. The skiing in Saalbach is good - you can do a full circuit of the resort if you want a fun day out. Otherwise there are a lot of runs down into the valley. The ski area is on both sides of the valley, so there is a fair bit of variety. IIRC there weren't too many blacks, mainly blues & reds.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here is an excellent piste map provided by the Saalbach website:
http://www.saalbach.com/fileadmin/images/BilderInternet/Winterpanorama0809_300.jpg

You can drive it from Calais in one day/stint - but if you're travelling far to get to Dover before hand, you will want to plan a stop over, either in Dover and catch an early ferry, or en route in a cheap motel. Just my opinion mind, having driven to a resort in France last year Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1. How long would it take to drive to the resort from Calais? (allowing for toilet stops and the like) No Idea sorry

2. What is the skiing like? There will be a mixed bunch - 2 intermediate skiiers, 1 beginner and a snowboarder. Will the beginner have to trek far for lessons? Are there many cruising runs? What are the blacks like?

Skiing is amazing and plenty for everyone some of the grading is a bit dodgy there are a few blues that are probably reds but that is the austrians for you. I would be classed as an expert and there is plenty of opp piste if you know where to go a few challanging blacks (Think no 14 at the end of the valley is great) plenty of cruising the blue run that runs past the Goatstall bar is a great one for blasting the cobwebs carving and getting the hero shots

3. What is the nightlife like? We aren't looking for clubs - just bars which are lively and friendly. Bobbys bar is great pool tables arcade machines and bowling lanes. Always livley and somthing on around the town

4. How expensive is the resort? Price of a beer? Price of lunch? Lunch is about a €6-10 on the mountain and beer from €2.50- 4.50 depending on where you are drinking
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
About 10 hours from Calais if you drive briskly and don't hang around. It is all about getting to Munich and I have found the best way to come down from Nuremburg, funnily enough...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brilliant - thanks for all the advice!!

As a group we always tend to stick to France - not sure why... although, maybe something to do with the fact I can speak about 10 words in French Embarassed but no Austrian or Italian.

Those beer prices sound good to me - we were paying 6-8 Euro's in France last year!!!

Cheers again for you time! Very Happy

Chris
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, just latched oin to this thread 'cos it was about Saalbach, which I believe is near Saalfenden, but not sure how near, how drivable etc. Does anyone know this area?
Apart from this, I found all this info a graet help...thanks (although not my initial question!).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wannagoalso, welcome to snowheads! snowHead I was wondering why you wanted a goal..... wink

It might be better if you clarified your question as I'm not sure what you're asking - do you want to know if Saalbach is near to Saalfenden and if you can drive between the two? I must admit I've been to Saalbach and the surrounding area but haven't heard of Saalfenden - I suspect a map would help... wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh OK - its near to Leogang http://www.bergfex.com/sommer/saalfelden-leogang/ which you can ski to from Saalbach.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wannagoalso,

Should be ok by post bus..and if direct would take about 30 mins..

Not actually tried this, but it isn't far as the crow flies..and there should be a bus down to Zell and Zee so maybe a change of bus there will do it.
or if you just wanted to access Saalbach's system , you could get to Leogang and in that way... as it is even closer
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wannagoalso wrote:
Hi, just latched oin to this thread 'cos it was about Saalbach, which I believe is near Saalfenden, but not sure how near, how drivable etc. Does anyone know this area?
Apart from this, I found all this info a graet help...thanks (although not my initial question!).

Hi,

Saalfenden is actually near the hochkoenigs ski area - about 5 mins to a small ski area ( where the GB ski train!!) and about 8 mins to Maria Alm which then links in to a huge ski area. There is a free ski bus to Maria Alm and Hinterthal form Saalfenden. Leogang is about 15 mins in the other direction where you can ski down to Saalbach- I don't know whether there is a free bus there. To get to Saalbach would take you about 35 to 35 mins.

Hope that helps.

Nigel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Drove from Calais to Kaprun (only 25 mins away from Saalbach) last summer but stopped over in Wurzburg (as we drove from Glasgow to Dover overnight). On the way back we got the ferry from Rotterdam to Hull and it took 11 hours with 3 main stops to get to Rotterdam.

Word of warning about the Autobahns - whilst they are absolutely fantastic and toll free, they can be very built up so allow for quite a lot of traffic jams. Once you get past Nurenberg (I think) the roads are amazing but get busy around Munich and when you get into Austria. Don't know if you might be quicker using the French roads (via Reims for example), rather than heading towards Brussels which we did - we have always found the French roads so quiet (with the exception of the Paris ringroad - bloody sat nav!!!!!) Basically they close the road if there is an accident, as they do in Holland too. Also you may need winter tyres for Austria as it's the law (check other post on this site)

Saalbach is really nice and although I've only been in summer, you could just tell that the skiing looked great. My brother in law has been several times and rates it as one of his favourites (until we discovered St Anton). Definately cheaper to eat and drink than French resorts, oh and the beer is far superior to any French drivel.

PS Remember that they speak German in Austria, although extremely fluent and happy to speak English

Enjoy your holiday
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy