Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for Swiss resorts open December 6-13?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have an opportunity to make a stopover in Switzerland in the beginning of December (probably from Dec 6 to 13, maybe a couple of days later). Being a snowHead , first thing I thought of is skiing of course. Smile Never having skied so early in winter (and neither in Switzerland), I'm bit lost in the abundance of resorts there. And their websites don't make it too easy to find the opening dates, elevation etc.

So, any recommendations for a Swiss resort open these dates, and hopefully with lots of snow? St. Moritz, Flims, Davos?

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At that time, I'd look for one of the glacier resorts, then at least you will have some good snow (hopefully the whole resort will be good, but you never can tell). Zermatt and Saas Fee would be worth having a look at.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Average (last 15 years) snow depth for that week (upper slopes, then lower slopes in cm)

Saas Fee 174, 33
Zermatt 126, 23
St Mauritz 98, 28
Engelberg 106, 18
Gstaad 100, 15
Davos 88, 23
Klosters 88, 20
Murren 78, 30
Crans Montana 68, 23
Verbier 70, 15
Wengen 38, 13

If you want any others let me know, or snow depths on a particular year.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 10-09-08 15:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd go for Zermatt, it's beautiful and you can get the train to other places if you fancy it for a day, which you might well want to do as there's unlikely to be that much open.

Having said that, you'll have no problems getting accommodation so I'd keep an eye on the weather and wait until the last minute to decide for certain.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 10-09-08 17:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i have experience in zermatt early december. there was not enough snow. i can't enough ski in the first cable car as well as i met crystal snow in the second cable car. however, there is also good in klein matterhorn - 3388 metres.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I should say that even a month later - the second week in January - the average snow depth is still only a bit deeper in Zermatt: 159, 37
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
went to verbier on warren smith course last week of nov 3 years ago - was limited to two slopes that were easy to get to and not much sun on them - snow cannons working round the clock..

went to saas fee for a day - was limited too - went down a tunnel to ski out of the end of it and had a sheer drop. lower slopes were like golf balls underfoot.

snow came last day of nov in verbier - shame it was time to go home
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the suggestions!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sniegagalva, It all depends how far in advance you need to make your arrangements. If you can leave it to the last minute then you can check the conditions and decide accordingly.

If you need to make arrangements well in advance, go for Zermatt and you won't be disappointed and you may be amazed.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sniegagalva, I think that Flims/Laax is usually open then.

Which airport do you fly into as from Zurich you are within 2-2.5 hours from Ischgl, St Anton etc, or if Geneva you could just as easily go to a French resort...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, I decided to postpone the decision to the last minute. At least now I have a list of resorts to check.

I will be flying through Zurich and would prefer a stay in a Swiss resort to try something new, as I've already been to Austria and France several times.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zermatt and Saas Fee are the only two resorts with largeish, yearround glaciers.

But Saas Fee is a smaller than Zermatt.

Zermatt wins by a mile.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flims/Laax usually opens around the 8th December, but I have no idea what the snow conditions would be like..patchy at a guess.

Davos/Klosters doesn't always have snow in mid December (I have been out Decemeber-March the past few years), so that would be risky, but its a pretty place.

I'd go for Zermatt, the glacier means even if snow conditions are poor, there will be skiing on Klein Matterhorn at the very least.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, Hi Snowball.

Where do you get these statistics? I am very interested in the snow depth for Saas Fee upper and lower for each month or week of the season. If its a website let me know and I'll do my own digging. If its your top secret stash I would really appreciate these results as we are trying to work out the best time to ski Saas Fee. Happy

Thanks in Advance
John & Kellie
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sniegagalva, We have not discussed the geography. Zurich is in the north-----Zermatt (and Saas Fee ) are in the South. There is a six hour train journey between ! Takes a lot out of a week . Even to fly to Geneva and then train to Zermatt would probably take as long, overall. So, if there were snow in Davos/Klosters that would be good as it's only 2.5 hours by train. I did Zermatt that week two years ago when snow was short everywhere. We skied hard all week from Kl Matt down to Cervinia, 17 kms or something and had the best week of anyone I spoke to. And Zermatt has by far the best buzz and ambience, I think. If you do use the train, contact myswitzerland.com as they do good passes which keep the rail cost down. Only marginal to Klosters but a real boon to Zermatt .
snow report
Farley Goode wrote:
sniegagalva, We have not discussed the geography. Zurich is in the north-----Zermatt (and Saas Fee ) are in the South. There is a six hour train journey between !

Ah....not since they opened the new tunnel. Zurich airport - Zermatt is 3 h 50 mins now snowHead
snow report
ysagisan, you can get the last 4 seasons snow depths free on Igluski - http://www.igluski.com/snow-history - sure they used to go further back. Think you might be able to get more historical snow records if you join the SkiClub - www.skiclub.co.uk
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy