Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booked Banff - January 2009 flying Monarch (Help Pls)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm just after a bit of help please from all you experts wink we have just booked to go to Banff nxt January and we're flying Monarch..... can't wait, never been before it's gonna be wicked Razz

My question is with regards our snowboard bags, they are made by Burton and are massive (designed for all your boarding stuff). Never take a suitcase, just hold board bag. Normally when flying Jet2 to France we pay them £15 each way for our board bags (which hold everything from the board, bindings, boots and clothes for the week).

I know you'll all recommend I call Monarch, which I will for confirmation but in the meantime does anyone know:- Thing is I have heard that Monarch will only allow you to book your board on but nothing else must be in the board bag? ..... Hmmmm, if anyone knows please could you reply.

I'd be really grateful wink

Cheers, Leedslips
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have flown Monarch to Calgary (from Gatwick and Manchester) quite a few times (TOO many times; I hate them, but that is a different story wink ) and have never had a problem loading my large Burton bag, filled with 2 or 3 boards, 1x bindings, 1x boots, and a couple of jackets and pants.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey Mertle, thanks for your reply - dare I ask you why you hate them? I have read a fair few reviews and needless to say I aint really looking forward to being crushed for over 8 hrs but it's the only way wink well not the ONLY way, but a cheaper option!

Cheers for letting me know tho, appreciat it!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hate them for the reason you mentioned; i dont appreciate be treated like cattle, and then there is the oh so very rude cabin staff, who are so obviously p1ssed they couldn't get a job with virgin or ba, so walk around with a face like a smacked bum.......grrrr......rant over Very Happy

Anyway, i hope you have a great trip and that your journey is not too bad.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've flown on the Monarch flight from Manchester to Calgary a couple of times. I recognised the plane from my Indonesian days as ex Garuda which didn't inspire confidence. A 28" leg pitch for a transatlantic flight is just short of criminal. I'm not tall but I had to keep wriggling my feet in an attempt to stave off DVT. Once we stood on the tarmac for 2 hours to the sound of banging whilst the crew tried to get one of the air purification units working until an engineer came on board and started it. Saying that I am due to travel with them again in February because the price is right so I really should not carp especially now Zoom has gone I think its the only direct flight from MAN-CGY . I normally travel with a Dakine 163 board bag that holds my skis, pole, boots and padded with clothes. They were always accepted without comment. I don't know whether it is from the tour operators or the airline but I have booked trips with Inghams and with Crystal & they have different rules from last season & they have laid it on thick to the point of giving offence that the only skis & poles are allowed in the ski bag & there is no allowance for boots. I'm not happy with this as I was comfortable with my packing routine & the cost of ski carriage was still cost effective versus hiring. To comply with this I will have to pack my boots in my main bag and take a maximum allowable piece of hand luggage with some weighty items to avoid paying for overweight. I suspect it would be alright at the airport but I don't want the hassle or embarrassment of have to repack at the check-in. I can only think the object is screw a bit of money out of baggage charges. I know it must be difficult for airlines to stay profitable at the moment but I would be much prefer they would be straight forward about cost. The tour operators / airlines need to be petitioned about alienating their customers. The tour operators would no doubt like to get their cut from ski hire but are in danger of more people making their own holiday arrangements. Please let us know how it works out as I would prefer to use my trusty board bag.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Apparently my Monarch flight was sub charted to Zoom (?) and has been cancelled. Unfortunately I was booked with Crystal who don't admit access to the Thomas Cook charter flight set up to provide for MAN-YYC Wednesday flight customers. So now I am on Air Canada at great expen$e & incovenience of going via LHR but should have leg room & plenty of baggage allowancw / ski carriage - but would have prefered to spend the money on another trip. The Monarch Gatwick flights are still on. I hear 'Canadian Affair' are going against the trend & have arranged more charter flights on routes from Manchester & Glasgow to Canada.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mine too Lechbob, I'm actually very pleased about this, an extra £300 for all three of us (not each)-we too fly from LHR direct with Air Canada into Calgary ...... I'm relieved that we are to be flying with an aitline with a far better reputation than Monarch Very Happy . We live in Leeds so it just means a night in a hotel and leaving the car, I'm quite pleased about this wink but do sympathise with those who this change will wreck their plans Mad

We are booked with Thomson, they told me that it would be an extra £280 p/p to fly ex MAN, so to pay an extra £100 to go from LHR is better .... it's a great shame but I have heard some right reviews from unhappy flyers that I was really pleased in the end, after the initial shock of it all.

Cya, and I hope all that have been let down by Monarch get sorted in the end wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was Supposed to be Travelling with Inghams to Banff in January out of Manchester, but now I'm going with Thomas Cook From Gatwick. The Holiday is actually slightly cheaper (not including getting to Gatwick from the north east), but I've lost the good deals on excursions that I got when I booked with Inghams. Kind of wished I'd seen the air Canada flights before I booked with Thomas Cook though.... Thomas Cook don't have a provision to book my board bag on, so I hope they don't take my eyes out when I get to the airport...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy