Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackson Hole Dies?

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this has been done before.

When this happens Jackson Hole & Grand Targhee will be finished.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/11/071108-yellowstone.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/supervolcano/programme.shtml#truth

Makes you wonder why so many people choose to live in harms way?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not just Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I watched an episode of Horizon on this subject, the conclusion was that it would have dire consequences on the entire northern hemisphere - a bit more than a couple of ski resorts (in fact a lot more than skiing full-stop) would be significantly affected (especially agriculture).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton, you should learn more about the geography/geology of the western USA. If everyone worried about what might happen, there'd still be Indians hunting buffalo. Heard about the faults that run all the way up the west coast - including Vancouver/Seattle. Active/dormant volcanoes like Mt Rainier - bye bye Seattle when she blows. And all those tornadoes in the mid west, hurricanes in the south and on the east coast. Killer snakes. Grizzly bears. Rabid right wing republicans on talk-back radio. It's amazing anyone lives here.

And what about Japan? Only a matter of time before an earthquake flattens a major city there again. Or a volcano explodes. And New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, all seismically very unstable places. I hear there's a nice hut in northern Scotland that's pretty safe ... except on Friday nights when the pub shuts Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
says the man from the country which is mostly below sea level Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gortonator wrote:
stanton, you should learn more about the geography/geology of the western USA. If everyone worried about what might happen, there'd still be Indians hunting buffalo. Heard about the faults that run all the way up the west coast - including Vancouver/Seattle. Active/dormant volcanoes like Mt Rainier - bye bye Seattle when she blows. And all those tornadoes in the mid west, hurricanes in the south and on the east coast. Killer snakes. Grizzly bears. Rabid right wing republicans on talk-back radio. It's amazing anyone lives here.

And what about Japan? Only a matter of time before an earthquake flattens a major city there again. Or a volcano explodes. And New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, all seismically very unstable places. I hear there's a nice hut in northern Scotland that's pretty safe ... except on Friday nights when the pub shuts Smile

I am not worried if City get flattened. Im talking Ski Country Very Happy

I've skied on the Volcanos in the North West US, Chile & NZ. When Mt Ruapehu (NZ) goes off

http://www.tim.co.nz/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=6918&g2_enterAlbum=0

The kiwis seem to get the ski field working again pretty quick

This Super Volcano in Yellowstone is something different.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crystal Mountain is opposite Mt Rainier. There's 3 ski areas on the active Mt Hood. Mt Bachelor is opposite an active and currently bulging volcano. Mt Baker ski field is about 10 miles from Mt Baker! These areas are my ski country Smile. And all areas are highly populated.

and my friends who live in Bozeman, Mo would probably be quite concerned about Bridger Bowl!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno wrote:
says the man from the country which is mostly below sea level Laughing

Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 9-09-08 14:59; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never mind eh - the worlds ending Wednesday in a black hole isn't it
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, not exactly news is it?

But when the supervolcano does go - all the Midwest will be under ash and US forces will be deployed to secure food rather than oil. And we will all be up the creek.

The Dutch will be safe however. No one will be after any of their culinary delicacies.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton, Its the end of skiing all together when that f**cker explodes Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother wrote:
stanton, not exactly news is it?

Read very first sentence.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ben123 wrote:

No
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
ben123 wrote:

No

Taking ski holidays might be the last thing on everyone's mind if there was a cataclysmic event like a supervolcano. On the other hand, the plunge into a new ice age might mean that skiing is a sensible way to get around for the majority of people outside the tropics...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
News for the Europeans, I guess. wink

It's pretty well known this side of the pond. Well, for those who cares to know, that is.

What do you think those lovely hot springs come from?
snow report
See Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything pages 198-208. The last eruption at what is now Yellowstone, was a thousand times bigger than Mt St Helens, the one before that between 2,500 and 8,000 times bigger. It erupts on average every 600,000 years, the last one was 630,000 years ago, so it's due one. Skullie

The last supervolcano that erupted was Toba in northern Sumatra 74,000 years ago and it is believed that it drove humans to the brink of extinction. Ice cores from Greenland reveal at least six years of volcanic winter followed Toba.

Sleep well. Toofy Grin
snow report
abc, It is reasonably well known in Europe too.

In New York you probably should be worrying about Cumbre Vieja too.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
News for the Europeans, I guess. wink

Not really. My PhD tutor and now one of my best mates was the principal scientific advisor to the Supervolcano programme, so I think we know a little bit about the potential of that volcanic region Wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 9-09-08 6:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

Makes you wonder why so many people choose to live in harms way?

Like below sea level, you mean? Laughing
snow report
Quote:

ben123 wrote:
stanton, Its the end of skiing all together when that f**cker explodes

No

There was a program on that supervolcano in Yosemite about a year ago or two....the world would be plunged into darkness for a couple of years.
latest report
rjs wrote:
abc, It is reasonably well known in Europe too.

In New York you probably should be worrying about Cumbre Vieja too.

Um, well just about every country that borders on the Atlantic ocean, including GB... and lets not talk about Holland wink
ski holidays
If it erupts, just ski around it like in the movies.
snow conditions
So I guess it's well known in the part of Europe that's above sea level? Wink
snow conditions
JP wrote:
See Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything pages 198-208. The last eruption at what is now Yellowstone, was a thousand times bigger than Mt St Helens, the one before that between 2,500 and 8,000 times bigger. It erupts on average every 600,000 years, the last one was 630,000 years ago, so it's due one. Skullie

The last supervolcano that erupted was Toba in northern Sumatra 74,000 years ago and it is believed that it drove humans to the brink of extinction. Ice cores from Greenland reveal at least six years of volcanic winter followed Toba.

Sleep well. Toofy Grin

Great book that. Yes, statistically it's due to blow any minute. Nobody knows when exactly, or exactly how big the erruption will be. But it's likely to be an extremely bad day for those living close by and very bad news indeed for the rest of us. Nobody will be worried about global warming for a few hundred years afterward. But chances of this happening in the next 100 years are still extremely slim. But it's highly likely over the next 100,000 years or so. So unlikely to affect future investment at JH
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy