Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish resorts

Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if anyone could help me.

So, are they any good? I've not heard many good things about them, but maybe you could tell me otherwise...

Thank you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow-Queen (great name - are you related to IceQueen?).
Scottish Resorts - are they any good? Well, when the snow is good they are fantastic. When the snow or weather is bad, they can be awful.
Do not expect anything like a major continental resort. Think amateur, scruffy and make-do. Think fun.
Refreshment is tea and a sausage-in-a-bun. The lifts are clanky. The weather completely unpredictable and can change rapidly.
My Dad lives just an hour from Glenshee; 90 mins from Cairngorm.
If I am up there and the conditions are good I go skiing.
But would I drive up from Manchester? If the snow was good, I think I would.
Go on, give it a try.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They're great in many ways, terrible in others. The atmosphere is fantastic - even when there's no skiing, people are very friendly/helpful/cheery. The conditions are pretty temperamental, meaning when the skiing is good, the slopes will probably be packed - so get there early. Wind is a big problem at Cairngorm - 70mph winds and the like can close the slopes when the snow might be perfect (even with the funicular, they close the lifts when it gets too mad).

All in all, I'd definitely recommend it, but wouldn't suggest booking in advance a trip up from England (unless you live in the North, which I guess Manchester isn't really) just for a weekend's skiing. If you can do last minute, then great - check the conditions on the Friday and decide whether to head up or not. However, there's so much else to do up here, you wouldn't get bored even if you can't ski.

Here is a picture of me wrapped up sufficiently for a typical day's skiing in Cairngorm
But here are the kind of vistas you can get on a good day!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great pics masopa, but I don't suppose it looks like that now.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would love to be able to tell you, because even as great as snowHeads is, I'd rather be skiing than sitting here!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lots of snow on the low hills this weekend! so there must be loads in the highlands!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hah! As if you care Nadenoodlee! You're off to France any day now. And did you invite me? No way!
I've just noticed it's got awful dark - I wonder what time it is . . . . . .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I took my ski holidays in Scotland from 88 - 93. The areas are really quite small, but again, when the weather is fine, quite fun. But very often the weather isn't fine - think 40mph hail - and it is absolutely MISERABLE. The last year was so bad we vowed never to do it again!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Check out:

www.winterhighland.com for the latest info on the scottish resorts.

http://www.cairngormmountain.com/webcams.htm for up to date pictures, but watch out for the UFOs that keep landing to check on the snow conditions wink

Loking at the latest piccies there are some decent drifts behind the fence lines, but more snow is needed before Cairngorm can open. There have been some reports of a bit of touring/xc over the weekend, but it is still a bit thin.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 20-12-04 12:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, well 16th Jan - Gatwick to Geneva early flight - be there!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nadenoodlee, you look different!
Is it a new hairstyle? No. New haircolour? No. New outfit? Yes! That's it - you've changed your signature thingy.
I like it. Makes you look younger.
As for 16th Jan - oh dear - just the wrong week, wouldn't you believe it, but ages ago I arranged to go skiing with Kate Blanchett that week. Another time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim, well im sorry, you've had your chance. I shall have to go back to being a ski instructor groupie!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As has been said many times on other threads, over recent years most of the lifts have simply not been able to open for most of the ski season for lack of snow. If you happen to notice a time when they have enough snow to open most of the slopes it can be worth a go at short notice, but not otherwise.
You can sign up here(site Dave Horsley gave) to get notice of a dump of new snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As has been said many times on other threads, over recent years most of the lifts have simply not been able to open for most of the ski season for lack of snow. If you happen to notice a time when they have enough snow to open most of the slopes it can be worth a go at short notice, but not otherwise.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There was a time when they could offer some great late-season skiing, sometimes into May, when all the lower European resorts had long given up. Unfortunately, these days seem to be gone. If you can get there at the drop of a hat when the snow reports and weather forecast are favourable, they are worth trying. But if you only have 6 days and have to book your holiday in advance, go elsewhere.
snow conditions
I've had about 20 weekends "skiing" in Scotland over the last 20 years, and for probably 10 of them there was literally no snow, for 5 more you had to walk up because the lifts were shut due to winds, and in the other 5 weekends there were probably about 4 really good days - the sort of thing you would expect to get in the Alps all the time. While I agree that it's necessary to check conditions before you go and book late, often the whole lot melts in 48hrs anyway, so for me in Leeds it's still incredibly unreliable.

A season of Scottish skiing consists of probably 20 skiable days between Dec&Apr, compared with 120 in the same period in the Alps. Although I'm going to Fort William over New Year, and I'm taking my gear as usual, I'm under no illusions that I'll be able to ski. If you are an extreme optimist and like sightseeing/walking etc then go for it, but don't under any circumstances beleive that it begins to compare with even the crappiest resort in Andora or Bulgaria!
snow conditions
I have been able to ski every year at Glenshee between Christmas and New Year scince I moved to Scotland six years ago. I've also been skiing most Aprils aswell, though usually at Cairngorm (including this April). I have skiied a minimum of 14 days every year and as that has been mainly weekends I am absolutley positive there have been more than 20 skiable days every season. I can't deny that the weather is often atrocious, that is part of the fun of Scotland, but I have had some blu sky pwder days most years. It is best if you live reasonably locally and can just go for it when conditions look good. Chances are good that there will be skiing this New year.
ski holidays
And I've just been emailed by Winterhighland to say that Cairngorm are opening tommorow tuesday 21st December for the first day of the season. Limited area, just the Ciste Fairway and tow open in the top bowl, but better than nowt! Shame I'll be at work. Hopefully conditions will have improved by the time I'm back after Christmas and I can head over for a few days over the new year period.
snow report
Dave Horsley, - skiing over New Year, you've cheered me up no end! Luckily I am that extreme optimist who also likes sightseeing/walking so I will enjoy the trip no matter what. And I have to admit that my comment about 20 days per season was just a number I plucked out of thin air rather than actual data.... perhaps I'm just a miserable old git who's walked up Cairngorm with skis over the shoulder in horizontal p1ssing rain too many times!
snow report
Quote:

I can't deny that the weather is often atrocious, that is part of the fun of Scotland, but I have had some blu sky pwder days most years

Shocked FUN! Puzzled Horizontal rain, force 10 etc.....FUN! Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

From 1988 to 97 I skied Cairngorm, Nevis range, Glencoe & Glenshee regularly and often at the drop of a hat when the good weather window opened. In that time I've experienced powder half doz' times at most. In general, and on a good day, you'll encounter hardpack and glass ice with flat light with little chance of deviation from the piste. Since 97 I've ventured up twice P/A and it's been mostly heather to the mid station and a sprinkling of snow above.

I suppose it depends of your definition of good conditions but even pushing my definition 20 days P/A seems optimistic, IMHO.

There was one year, I believe 95, when there was great snow in October Shocked and it lasted most of the season. snowHead

BTW, What is the true definition of powder snow?
To me it's light and fluffy snow that can't be formed into a snowball and normally dumped at temps well below freezing.
snow report
Even last year I managed a couple of powder days. During one week there had been a fair depth of powder fall at Cairngorm (unfortunately on little or no base outside most of the runs). Friday was suposed to have been pretty good, but I was at work. I went up on Saturday and camped overnight at Loch Morlich. Saturday was cold and dry skiing was good, the hill was completley white, what seemd to be a foot of unconsolidated powder over everything, though not realy skiiable outwith the open runs due to the lack of base. There was snow right down at Glenmore and when I went to my tent after dinner and drinks at Glenmore lodge its was a cold crisp night. Woke up to warm weather the snow at Glenmore was melting. By the time I was skiing it was raining at glenmore, wet snow in the Cas carpark driving hail at the top. The freezing level rose through the day and all that lovely powder just disapperaed before my eyes. Just shows how fast conditions can change in Scotland.

That was the problem last year - we'd get cold conditions and lots of snow, but this would be followed immediatlely by warm, wet, windy, southwesterlies. The unconsolidated powder was stripped from the hills within a day or two and there was no freeze thaw cycling to form a base.

Guess what might be happening tonight and Wednesday 22nd Dec. - its going to be milder wet and windy for about 48hrs. If were lucky we'll get mainly snow first and it'll be mainly dry when the freezing levels are above the tops, so we may gain more then we lose.

Heres to skiing in Scotland over New Year - if the weather is nice I might be camping at Loch Morlich again Smile .
snow report
Dave Horsley, Dave you must be a hardy soul to camp at the Lake - last time I went past it was half frozen.
ski holidays
For me the best bit of skiing in Scotland is the back of Nevis Range. I imagine it probably opened during the one bit of good snow sometime in (was it?) late January, but I looked at the website regularly from then on and it was always just the very top of the mountain open, and the back lifts never, as far as I know, opened.

However here are some pictures of Cairngorm on Sunday, and if you register on the first page (on the right, further down the page] you can get informed when there is a dump.
ski holidays
snowball, - absolutely, the back corries at Nevis can be fantastic, and my 2 best ever Scottish ski days have been there. Still not done Easy Gully yet though, I just need that perfect day, no rocks, no fog, 6 inches of spring snow...
ski holidays
Hate to be a doomie but here are the current Cairngorm webcams to compare with the lovely shots in snowballs post. Just shows how quickly things can change up there.
latest report
Plake, I've only done it once (didn't know it existed my first visits and haven't been for years). A bit of a jump at the top as you probably know. My friend found climbers on it when he did it a year or two ago (they agreed to get out of the way but had already put in lots of deep footprints - grrr).
snow conditions
That is only to be expected - Easy Gulley is so called because it is an easy ice climbing route so the climbers have just as much right to be climbing up it as we have to ski down it wink .

I'd like to ski at Nevis and Glencoe, but they are a bit of a long drive for me unfortunately so it'l probably be Cairngorm Glenshee and the Lecht plus wahtever touring I can fit in.

Webcams aren't as bad as they look. The pisted out runs and uptrack were still intact last I heard and the temperature has fallen back to 1C. So with a bit of luck that should be the start of a base. What has disappeared was mainly the superficial snow. Hopefully temps will drop back below freezing tonight or early tomorrow and we'll get more snow over the weekend.
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, I didn't know that about the name. I always assumed it was a deliberate inversion, like Robin Hood's "Little John".
Here is Nevis Range looking up from the top of the access lift on Saturday. I don't know how much of the snow survives. The slopes aren't open yet.
The photo gallery of the Back Corries is worth a look.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy