Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skiier lessons (at Saas Fee) - private or group?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK the resort itself is a kind of aside, as I'd likely be asking the same question wherever we planned to go - however, myself and partner, are taking along my brother for a week in Saas Fee, end of Jan 09.
He's skiied before, on a school trip at the age of 11/12, which is some 9 years ago now. He doesn't actually remember much of it at all, let alone skiing - though I suspect once on skis some of it will return.

Dawn and I have been skiing some 6 weeks and are fairly proficient - put this way, I'll go down practically anything - though not necessarily in style! As we're only there a week, we'd like to spend as much time actually on the slopes with my brother as possible, though I understand he'll need to take lessons.

My question is whether he'd get more out of a private lesson for a day, starting from scratch, than a group affair that lasts pretty much all week? He'll be alone in a group which although isn't an issue, can't imagine he'll overly enjoy when Dawn and I are cruising around where we like.

Price is a factor but if its THAT much more beneficial to have a 1 day crash course, then the rest of the week to enjoy how he sees fit, I'm happy to spend the money.

Any suggestions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would suggest that you look at a 2 hour private lesson for him on the 1st morning. A private lesson will be geared around him, and will enable the instructor to see what he needs to focus on. A group lesson will cover the basics, but may focus a lot on stuff that he can remember and do. Once you've seen how he gets on on the 1st morning, and free skiing the 1st afternoon, you can decide how many more lessons that he needs.

I would also recommend that he does a couple of hours/intro lessons at a dry slope or snowdome before you go. That will give him a chance to remember how to ski.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would echo what Elizabeth B says and get him to have a refresher at a snowslope here before you go. If he really picks it up well then you could just book a private lesson, but if he is struggling then a course of lessons might be the best bet. If you go for private lessons then one or two 2 hour lessons may be enough - a day of lessons would be too much, he probably wouldn't be able to walk for the rest of the week and he's likely to be brain dead after the first 2-3 hours. Most of the lesson companies are quite good at juggling the groups around so if he picks it up quite quickly they'll just move him to a higher group.

When I was learning (all the rest of my family could easily outski me so I did the lesson bit) I found it quite fun in a group, meeting new people etc and whilst you'll be doing what you like I can't imagine he'd find it much fun if he was struggling with the skiing and holding you up. If he has lessons in the morning then you can all go out together in the afternoon.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd suggest having lessons in the UK before going on holiday as there're a few months to go and see how he progresses.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bit of a bump now we're getting into the season, perhaps some more might see it Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
An all day private lesson sounds a bit too intense, physically and mentally. You're able to get around a lot of the mountain but it would be better for him to develop his skills on terrain which isn't going to intimidate him. I'd therefore suggest group lessons in the morning and skiing with you for the rest of the day. You'll be able to blast around and push yourself while he's in class, then spend the rest of the day with him. He'll be able to learn on terrain which is right for him but which would probably be frustratingly easy for you. Everyone's a winner!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another advantage of a group lesson is that he might find other people to ski with in which case he'll be less dependent on you for skiing outside the lesson.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd go with the group in the morning, lunch together then ski together in the afternoon, too. Unless he is an exceptionally fast learner one morning's lesson isn't going to equip him to do much with you. But an initial lesson in the UK is a good idea too and would probably equip him to go into the class one up from complete beginner.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eddyr, the advice from pam w is pretty much spot on for Saas-Fee, but there are several things you need to bear in mind.

There are two ski schools in Sass-Fee, the Swiss School and Eskimos. I have had a week's lessons with the Swiss school, which were quite good. I can't tell you much about Eskimos, but my daughter will be working for Eskimos in her holidays this season so I probably should be recommending them (note the vested interest Laughing ).

So far as I know, the Swiss school does not offer group lessons on a Sunday, while Eskimos only offers group lessons for absolute beginners. Personally I think this is a big failing of both schools. I think they both offer private lessons though and this may be a good idea for Sunday morning (assuming you are travelling on Saturdays).

Eskimos offers 2 1/2 hour lessons Monday to Friday starting at 9.30 am, so your brother will be finished for 12.00 and you can all go off up the mountain for lunch and to try some of the easier runs at the beginning of the week before graduating to more difficult runs as the week progresses. The advantage of Eskimos is that the group sizes are limited to 8 (but conversely it will pay to pre-book).

The Swiss school runs 3 hour lessons starting at 10.00 am, so it is a bit more of a scramble for lunch. Also the groups tend to be rather larger, but it depends on the luck of the draw.

Both schools tend not to offer private lessons in the morning, but only in the afternoons after the group lessons have finished, so if you all want to ski together for part of the day the group lessons will be best.

Any lessons your brother can get in the UK before the holiday will help considerably. If he can ski on plastic he will have no difficulty adapting to snow. I don't know which slope will be local to him. Someone else may pop up with that advice. Otherwise it can't be too hard to find out.

Have a great holiday - we have always enjoyed our visits to Saas-Fee.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Derek Jackson, Thanks - thats some good info.
Have to broach the idea of plastic, I know he isn't keen but I do agree it would assist.
Some food for thought! (Just want to maximise the fun, basically!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

plastic

doesn't have to be plastic. Could be snow. I wouldn't push someone "not keen" onto plastic.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I only suggested plastic because eddyr is in kent. However, his brother may be closer to a snow dome.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you do go with the Swiss ski school and you want a British instructor, then you could ask for a guy called Rob. I'm training with him in Tignes at the minute, he's a good guy working through his Basi ISTD (Top British Level) qualification.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the replies all.
Went with the Eskimos school in the end- well, have requested a booking at any rate.

I suppose the main factor was cost, as I knew it would be - 200CHF for 5 half days certainly seems much better than twice that for a private afternoon.
That, and its 2 and a half hours a day, like you said up until 12 - so really shouldn't get in the way of having fun as well.

Only annoyance is the fact it starts Mondays, I think they do a Sunday afternoon "discovery" lesson to get started as part of the deal, but does mean he'll have to play carefully Sunday morning.

Shall see about some refreshers over here, though he's just started working in London so will require a bit of effort/planning!
Cheers all.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy