Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for a White Christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, first post here, been researching all morning and overwhelmed by the options out there, you seem like a knowledgeable lot!

My husband and I are planning a Christmas trip to somewhere in Europe, with the primary objective being to experience a white Christmas (we're Australian, living in England). The best dates to go would be 21 Dec-28 Dec.

Our basic requirements are: not too expensive (as cheap as possible really, without sacrificing quality of the trip), high chance of snow, easy to get to from an airport with cheap options from London (Ryanair, Easyjet etc.), self-contained accommodation, great scenery and ideally decent nightlife/things to do as well as playing in the snow, and more people our own age (mid-late twenties) rather than mostly families. It would be great if there was somewhere that does something special for Christmas, though we're happy to entertain ourselves as well. We do not plan to ski, though we have both snowboarded before and enjoyed it, we are very, very much beginners and probably will find it just as fun to sit around throwing snowballs at each other.

Geneva seems to be a good place to fly into and access the French Alps, but happy to look into other options. I found a well-priced apartment in Thollon-les-Memises but haven't been able to find much information on that particular place, so I'm assuming it's not up on anyone's 'great ski resorts' list.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tae,

Welcome...if the objective is just to be in snowy surroundings then you have a lot more choice.
If you aren't competing with skiers/snowboarders for hotel beds in the snow-sure resorts that can keep the price down.

You might need to familiarise yourself with the customs/expectations of continental xmas as it might not be the same.... but then that is basd on spending time in ski-resorts where everything is geared around skiing. Plus you are spending a week there ...hmm..lots to think about.

Tough choice as I couldn't think about being in the mountains with-out the ski-element.

I'd maybe think of a lowland town with lifts or bus or train upto the hills... Somewhere like Innsbruck, maybe or Salzburg or Lucern and do excursions from there.
There might not be snow on the ground....which could be a good thing...but it will not be far away in the hills.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seefeld maybe?? Close to Innsbruck, its not high which will mean its not popular in terms of the skiing at that time of the year as well (thus cheaper i would have thought). However it will probably be white, just dont know how much of the white stuff it will have!!! Plenty to do for non skiers as well!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT wrote:
Tough choice as I couldn't think about being in the mountains with-out the ski-element.

Agree with that comment. I don't think I could visit the mountains in the winter without skiing.

A good idea would be to spend the week in one of the bigger alpine towns perhaps. There would be things going on in the town and you could do some snowboarding nearby. Bourg st. Maurice and Briancon spring to mind.

The dolomites might be rather special at christmas time with the scenery. There is also relatively good nightlife in some of the dolomites resorts. Arabba, Canazei, Cortina d'Ampezzio, Selva are all resorts in the dolomites.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
get yourself to lapland, definately be a white christmas
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ryanair - Stanstead to Friedrichshafen, then direct bus or train to St Anton would be great for the nightlife and a cracking swimming/wellnes complex, now with a climbing wall too. The skiing/boarding is hard though around St Anton, although easier slopes in the same lift pass in Lech.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with Lapland....its the only way to ne sure! Also very atmospheric at Xmas
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never been to Lapland, but it sounds interesting. Very short days, though. On the other hand I can't imagine anything much less likely to be snowy and festive, especially for people not terribly interested in skiing, than Bourg St Maurice. There's a good supermarket, though. wink

I would think Austria or Switzerland. Maybe Alpbach (Austria), a very picturesque village. Some lively bars. Small, though. There are no doubt other good bets, but I don't know about them.

What do you mean by "self contained accommodation", by the way? Another decision is whether you want to do a bit of boarding, or just go for other wintry activities.

One thing you need to consider is that resort- level snow is by no means guaranteed at Christmas, and is more likely in high, purpose-built places, which are not too atmospheric. Old, well established places in the Alps tended to be built where winters were as un-snowy as possible! Christmas, being so near the winter solstice, can be rather dark and miserable, and cold, at the bottom of Alpine valleys. Being up a mountain somewhere might be jollier.

How about Murren, in Switzerland? I've never been there in winter but it looks fantastic in pictures and you can't beat the surrounding scenery. Loads of trains to get about, picture-postcard chalets.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zermatt
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zermatt
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
not a budget option, though. Neither was my suggestion of Murren! Lech is another expensive place which comes to mind. Aren't there any cheaper snowy spots. Slovakia?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If quality of skiing isn't an issue, maybe the Tatras mountains in Poland?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are not going to be in Europe permanently, you might not have another chance I would suggest Zermatt as probably the most spectacular winter destination - it's one of those places that everyone ought to visit sometime in thier life. If you are on a tight budget there is a Youth Hostel there (though it might already be booked for Christmas), and the Hotel Bahnhof is pretty cheap, with self catering facilities available. http://www.hotelbahnhof.com/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies! I've been researching my fingers off and leaning towards Zermatt. A hostel would be ideal, but there doesn't seem to be any availability (no surprise!). However I've found a couple of cheaper hotels/studios that look promising.

Hmm, actually, as I've been typing I've been delving into more options and now I'm torn between Zermatt and Chamonix! Chamonix is mostly cheaper, but is it as likely to have snow?

Quote:

You might need to familiarise yourself with the customs/expectations of continental xmas as it might not be the same.... but then that is basd on spending time in ski-resorts where everything is geared around skiing. Plus you are spending a week there ...hmm..lots to think about.

No problems, we don't really have anything specific in mind for Christmas, it's going to be different to usual anyway being on our own without our families. I'm quite interested to see how other cultures celebrate, if they do at all.

Quote:

What do you mean by "self contained accommodation", by the way? Another decision is whether you want to do a bit of boarding, or just go for other wintry activities.

Well, ideally we'd like to stay in a (small) apartment or somewhere we can cook for ourselves, simply because it will likely be cheaper to eat rather than go to a restaurant for every meal. It's not a definite requirement though.

It would be great to do some boarding again - which is why I am still leaning towards staying in a ski area rather than a lowlying village, I suppose the main point is that fantastic skiing/boarding slopes aren't a priority, as we'll be sticking to the beginner's ones anyway.

One more quick question - has anyone used this site to book apartments/rooms before? - http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tae, holidaylettings is a good site, I advertise my own apartment on there and have also used it to book holidays
snow report
Tae, Cham had plenty of snow this Xmas, none the year before (it arrived for New Year), and touch and go the year before. Up to 5 years ago I booked Xmas at the last minute and looked for where it was good snow plus a bargain, always managed to get some where between £250-£350 catered with flights.
latest report
Zermatt is much more likely to have resort-level snow than Chamonix as it's much, much higher.
You would be pretty lucky to get snow in Chammers at Christmas and pretty unlucky not to get it in Zermatt.
And that is all that Neil Neige has to say on the matter!
snow conditions
Tae, when you say a "white Christmas" do you want snow lying on the ground in the resort? If so neither Cham or Zermatt have a high chance of any snow in the streets at Xmas.....

Cham is 1035m (?)
Zermatt is 1600m, so neither are particularly high.
ski holidays
don't bovva with chamonix unless you have a car to get about - you are in a crag of a valley and each ski lift miles apart which only serves a chunk of area and not interconnected. from one end of the valley to the other is about 12 miles. - unless you wanna bus about.

Tignes
Alpe d'huez
St Anton
La Plagne (Les Arcs)
Les Deuz alpe
verbier
sestrierre

good luck
ski holidays
Saas Fee, will have snow in the village and has the chocolate box feel. Id still go with lapland if skiing is not the priority, what can be more christmassy than riendeer rides, frozen forests and the northern lights? Yllas has enough down hill skiing for a relaxed skiing holiday and if you book through the website accomodation is not too costly.
snow report
Lapland sounds great but unfortunately flights are far too expensive Sad.

I will look in to Saas Fee - I would like snow in the village/on the ground.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy