Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

recommend me a place please

Poster: A snowHead
Ok usually we go to la ros but finances are taking their toll as is the long transfer time. This year thinking of s/c apartment in austria. Probably near Salzbug / munich is easier flight for us, predominantly easy / beginner slopes for my wife who is a nervous skier and always will be, tolerant english speaking good instruction for wife and children and a little family fun available off the slopes. Budget this year is the decider so we are prepared to wait for last minute bookings.The date is not important to us as we will take the kids out of school....foriegn languages, travel, excercise, geography etc etc more relevant on a trip than in a classroom!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The date is not important to us as we will take the kids out of school.

but there are still some dates to avoid, like fasching in Austria. I don't know those resorts, but sounds a good destination and the folk who know Austria will know the best dates too. I hope your wife becomes less nervous..... snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ollski,
Dont mean to hijack you r thread but;
Just curious, do you ask permission for for the kids to be absent? Am thinking of doing this one myself but the boys headmasters are very 'an*l' about having any time off outside holidays......................wondered how you 'pitch it'.
Thanks in advance
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't ask permission but I do write a letter saying which dates they will be away. I have been told by heads, governors and teachers that 2 weeks is permissable to the school as a maximum but no more than that. To be honest lots of schools take kids away for a week skiing as an 'educational trip' whilst those who don't go are at school as normal.....don't see how they can argue much.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ollski, I used to do the same - no point "asking for permission" if you intend to go anyway, but this gives the school the opportunity to record it as an authorised absence, which is what is important to them. There's a lot of "Daily Mail" rubbish about parents being taken to court but in practice if you child has an otherwise good attendance and conduct record, you are likely to escape imprisonment. wink I think it's sad that some parents of tiny kids who in most sensible countries wouldn't even be in formal schooling, worry about the effect of a week's absence on their academic performance!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mitchell, we take our two boys out of school for a week in January - we write a simple, polite note advising what we are doing and when, and requesting their written agreement (this 'covers' you and them) - as others have said, if your children have good attendance, go to the dentist/doctor etc outside school hours and don't set fire to the bins, the school is unlikely to object. We do sometimes offer to take some reading or similar with us. but it's never been necessary. Good luck Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In the past we have just filled in a form and the head signs it. This is at primary school and exactly howq much they learn during 5 days as long as they are good attenders normally is debatable. My eldest even got a certificate in the school assembly for being a good skier!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We may not take them out many more times as our eldest is coming up to a more crucial period. We are lucky that our primary head is a keen skier and almost encourages it (quietly wink ) and secondary was ok too. What they have wanted is a simple polite request stating the reason for the request - they don't want a long letter explaining the benefits of the mountains (although it's obvious to us snowHead 's of course). In our case, I work for the NHS and it's difficult for me to take leave over Feb halfterm and this seems to work a treat.
As others have said, good attendance will only help support request.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
ollski, I used to do the same - no point "asking for permission" if you intend to go anyway, but this gives the school the opportunity to record it as an authorised absence, which is what is important to them.

These days authorised absence is regarded as the work of the devil; schools are under pressure to help the LEA (or whatever) hit it's 'absenteeism' target, and if they authorise kids to be out of school, the head gets a bollocking. At my kids primary, they gave up authorising absence for anything other than exceptional absences, such as funerals (and round the world trips!). I gave up asking, to avoid embarrassment, and just informed them. Of course, in the 3 years since the kids left primary, the schools may well be going through different hoops with different rules. Now they are at public schools, absence of any kind ist verboten.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are you able to fly to Innsbruck. If so, Serfaus is a great family base and only an hour away or so. Totally agree - a week spent in the slopes is far better than a week in (primary) school for the whole experience. We write a letter a day or two before we go away with the kids just out of 'politeness' and the school notes as unauthorised absence. The teachers though are very good and usually saying that they wish it were them going etc. Only takes them a day or two to catch up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ollski wrote:
Ok usually we go to la ros but finances are taking their toll as is the long transfer time. This year thinking of s/c apartment in austria. Probably near Salzbug / munich is easier flight for us, predominantly easy / beginner slopes for my wife who is a nervous skier and always will be, tolerant english speaking good instruction for wife and children and a little family fun available off the slopes. Budget this year is the decider so we are prepared to wait for last minute bookings.The date is not important to us as we will take the kids out of school....foriegn languages, travel, excercise, geography etc etc more relevant on a trip than in a classroom!

Have a look at our area there is a lovely ski beginners ski area in the Hochkell- very easy lifts -you don't have to get a gondola to it and there are 2 slope that face each other . Then in the same area are some reds. Over the other side in the main ski area there are loads of easy blues and a new gondola so no long drag to face. We are 45 mins from Salzburg airport . Any more information plaese PM me.

Nigel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Now they are at public schools, absence of any kind ist verboten.

that always amuses me; the more you pay, the more you get told what to do! My husband's family paid a lot of money for him to go to a school where only the most priveleged had doors on the loos, whereas in my state school, doors were free.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
djfletcher - is Muelhbach really good for nervous skiers? I'm considering it myself this year... how busy does it get the week before half term (or the first week in March). Is there easy bus access to other villages nearby (Dienten for example)?.

Thanks, Liam
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
funny you should call yourself ollski - that is wot we call my stepson. real name ollie.

sorry don't know anywhere in austria quick transfer. they all seem to be obligatory 3 hours from one airport or another.

do not go to St Anton - if you read the reviews they all say the slopes are hard. personally thought they were normal, but as colours/ratings go apparently they are harder than normal reds, blues etc.

good luck
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
innerspaceservices wrote:

real name ollie.

Mine too, though over time I seem to have reverted to my middle name.
snow conditions
You could try Nassfeld, an easy 50 min drive from Klagenfurt (Ryanair), lots of reasonable accomodation on the resort website, and its a good place to take kids (and for adults).
snow report
innerspaceservices wrote:
sorry don't know anywhere in austria quick transfer. they all seem to be obligatory 3 hours from one airport or another.

You have had some strange ski experiences, what with this and your view of Whistler Confused . Many transfers in Austria seem to be in the region of about an hour to an hour & a half - I can safely say, with hand on heart, that the only places I've had 3 hour transfers is in France. Although of course I haven't been to every Austrian resort.... wink
snow conditions
lrx28 wrote:
djfletcher - is Muelhbach really good for nervous skiers? I'm considering it myself this year... how busy does it get the week before half term (or the first week in March). Is there easy bus access to other villages nearby (Dienten for example)?.

Thanks, Liam

Hi Liam,

I think the little ski area behind is excellent for nervous skiing my sister learnt there and she is very nervous!! My wife often goes out and guides any nervous skiing so they feel safe. It has a nice easy run which faces another easy run - in a 'V' shape. So even if you can't stop eventually you do because of going up the other slope. It is also a quiet area and there is another easy slope nearby. Thsi is the beginners slope with my sister on it ( in the yellow) ;-

Usually by the end of the week they can ski the long blue from the top of the gondola and with the new gondola which opens this winter there will be some more blues to ski.
Here is the long blue:-

Have a look at this interactive ski map of the area :-

http://www.skiamade.com/de/winter/skiregionen/pistenpanorama/hochkoenig.htm?zoom=muehlbach&actualRegion=hw

Any further questions please PM me.

Nigel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy