Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In the name of the father...and the holy la rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Eh up people

Dark nights gathering in and ski hols coming close. Need some help on La rosiere. Looks spot on for families but with one snag for me. We take the old dear with us as a non skiier but woe betide if she misses her catholic church on sunday!!!! any ideas if there is one in near, close by la ros - i.e. taxi trip etc. Alternatively, what are the plainbel apartments in La thuile like - seen some bad reviews here and there!!!!

Anyway hope y'all can help.

Ps is it snowing yet Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mattmulkeen, Laughing Laughing I know of loads in Serre Chevalier, but can't remember seeing one in La Ros, sorry I can't help.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.travel-library.com/skiresorts/europe/france/la_rosiere/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cheers helen,

its three years that i've been pestering you lot on this board and I i think you've always been first to repsond!!!

snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mattmulkeen, my Mum always looks for the church.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mattmulkeen, don't worry... a few days there and she'll be praying to get out church or no church.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing it would be a pretty boring place for a non-skier.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
is it that bad???

Helen any recommendations? It a new year break, with little skiier and little non skiier (6&2) and my devout mother. My wife doesn't like heights so wants tree lined runs and green runs.
I like red to black and runs but will mainly ski on me own jerome and meet the rest for lunch. Alpe d'huez was excellent last year but i am a little concerned about ski school taking her up the mountain this year!

What a headache!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mattmulkeen, if she's child minding, I suppose it will be Ok for her, but there isn't a lot to do other than walk around the village. You might find the skiing a bit tame if you like reds and blacks. Serre Chevalier might be a good one, loads of trees, and loads of reds and blacks and lots more for the old dear to do, including getting the bus into Briancon for the afternoon/morning. Plenty of churches too, including a huge collegiate one in Briancon, she could go to mass every day.
She could also get the cable car up to meet you for lunch. Not a possibility at La Ros. There are a couple of English speaking ski schools for the little one too.
And Belle Plagne is also an option.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 4-09-08 21:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mattmulkeen, Villeneuve is probably the best village for your missus, there are quite a few gentle runs above in the Frejus area.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you're a star!!!

Thank you
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I find it hard to believe it is difficult to find a catholic church in France.

La Rosiere is a skiing resort near the top of a mountain but the villege Seez is at the bottom of that mountain and Bourg St Maurice is a stone throw away. In term of demand the developers must have got their number right in estimating the numbers of skiers going there for a week would like to spend Sunday in a church. Then again I suppose it is possible that the French in BSM and Seez don't go to church at all in an area is big and busy enough to run train sevices to Paris.

If there are churches in Seez and BSM then the problem is really the size of the taxi fare and the cost of using the regular buses.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mattmulkeen, you might want to consider trying Wengen in Switzerland, in addition to Catholic and Protestant churches they even have an English church, ski school nursery slopes in the middle of the village, tree lined easy routes all over the place including back to the village and you can take the train to places so don't have to go high up (though the cablecar is very good). Also most of the shops etc speek english if that's important.

Best bit is that almost every mountain restaurant can be reached by non skiers so if you want to you can all meet up for lunch
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mattmulkeen, there are seven churches in the commune of Montvalezan, of which La Rosiere is a part. The largest is in Montvalezan itself and there are regular masses there. The easiest way to get there is by taxi, it's only about 15 kms down the mountain. I understand that the priest does hold masses in La Rosiere during the season but I've no idea where they would be held, although there is a small church, originally built for the shepherds, near to our chalet. Your best bet would be to contact the Tourist Office www.larosiere.net for information. BTW there are more than a few activities for non-skiers.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are at all prone to motion sickness it will be you demanding a church/chapel enroute between Bourg St Maurice and La Ros to cater for your new found need to pray....
snow report
truffaut, how true, if Mrs Mattmulkeen is scared of heights she might be a bit traumatised by the journey up there and back down again, although they have been to Alpe d'Huez.
ski holidays
Mattmulkeen wrote:
is it that bad???
Yes, rumour has it it's where they faked up the moon landings.
ski holidays
Some would say that's blasphemy Very Happy
latest report
Mattmulkeen, it's a while since I stayed in La Rosiere but I don't remember too many tree-lined runs above the village.

What made you home in on La Rosiere as good for a non-skier and for a vertiginous person who wants tree-lined runs. When are you going? That makes a difference to recommendations.
snow conditions
Was in the Planibel 2 years ago and good 10 minutes walk from the village. I would not be in a hurry to go back there to be honest. Was OK but no Apres and very quite.... and that was during the kids holidays in Feb. But ....why not go to Austria as they seem to churches in each village. Was in Schlading about 150 yards from a church and when in Maryhofen at the Alte Post was right opposite one. Most Austrian ski resorts have a catholic church as far as I noticed. Was in Cervinia at Christmas and there was a church and the filled up. Hope that helps.. Smile
ski holidays
Mattmulkeen, I'd 2nd the suggestion of Wengen. Because of the trains, it's really easy to get around the mountain as a non skier, and meet up for lunch etc. There aren't loads of blacks, but plenty of reds.

New year will be busy there, but I guess it will be in most places.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Mattmulkeen, it's a while since I stayed in La Rosiere but I don't remember too many tree-lined runs above the village.

What made you home in on La Rosiere as good for a non-skier and for a vertiginous person who wants tree-lined runs. When are you going? That makes a difference to recommendations.

I can't remember that many either.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, That's coz there is only 1, and quite short it is. At 1850m, it is right on the tree line limit. 2 great runs below the village, but genuine red, and susceptible to closure due to low altitude.
latest report
La Ross is linked with la thurle? in itally. tow her over...
snow report
Fr0sty the Sn0wman wrote:
Helen Beaumont, That's coz there is only 1, and quite short it is. At 1850m, it is right on the tree line limit. 2 great runs below the village, but genuine red, and susceptible to closure due to low altitude.
that'a ehat I thought, I do remember one on the left as you descend back to the village, as no 2 son hurt his wrist playing in the trees
ski holidays
Libertine, Not very gentle tree runs over there though Toofy Grin

Boredsurfing Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
Quote:

I do remember one on the left as you descend back to the village, as no 2 son hurt his wrist playing in the trees

ah yes, just a little sort of knobbly descent through the trees, to the right of the famous "nutcracker" lift (as you go up the lift, left as you come down). The kids loved it, leaping over tree roots and skidding round corners, but I don't think that's what the OP had in mind!

There can be very few ski resorts in France without a Catholic church; even Les Saisies has one.
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing The name of this thread!!!..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mattmulkeen, transfer days seem to be predominantly Sunday to Sunday in La Ros. That's to say, you'll arrive latish on Sunday pm (probably too late for evening mass) and leave early on Sunday am. A potential deal breaker?

You could aim for a main town to stay in - like Bourg St Maurice - thus providing more for the old dear and your kids. The funicular to Les Arcs is a fast and straightforward option for getting to the slopes. No idea though if the view en-route might upset anyone with vertigo.

Serre Chevalier has been muted above and I'd certainly go with that to accomplish what you're looking for. Les Oursans in Chantemerle is a delightful nursery facility where youngsters can have a gentle introduction to skiing. My daughter went there when 3, 4 and 5 for a couple of hours most days in our weeks holiday and we had to drag her away!! Funny - we left a pair of her sunglasses there on the second trip, only to have them returned when we tipped up the next year!!
snow report
Mattmulkeen, Planibel is fine if you stay in the monte bianco building. It is the one they have refurbished. the kitchens are a bit of a joke 2 rings and a fridge and sink. thats it. The 2 bedroom ones have 2 large bathrooms! If you book independently they do sat to sat or sun to sun. The underground parking is interesting.......some of the ramps are a little steep.

Try here
http://www.atahotels.it/struttura.asp?id=planibel&data=dd/mm/yyyy&notti=1&adulti=1&child=0&section=rooms&ln=eng&promo=offerte&promoS=planibel

La thuile has even quicker access to the skiing than la ros, ie. even less queues, and argueably the better skiing. they do over groom everything which is a bit of a pain, but the groomed blacks down to the village are brill.

Its very dead in the evening, but for us with 2 kids under 10 that is not really an issue. The ski school is very disorganised
snow report
Thanks for all the awesome adivce!

This years winner was Helen b with the serre che option - looks spot on!!!!! Booked yesterday! Woohoo!

wengen next year maybe snowHead

Right - where's brian's snow reports!!!!

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Quote:

where's brian's snow reports

don't think we'll be getting any of those for a very long time. He doesn't generally do crystal balls and marmot's entrails. snowHead But it's a good time to try to work your way through the thread about learning how GFS works. One of these days I'm going to go through that again..... takes a few attempts.
snow conditions
Quote:

don't think we'll be getting any of those for a very long time.

it'll all come quick pam! I tell thee! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy