Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI level 1 wtf????

Poster: A snowHead
stab, that Peak Leaders one gets you to BASI Level 2 anyway not just to Level 1 and besides the GAP courses are always that kind of money. They are much more expensive than going the separates route with any system regardless of whose it is.

Re the St Anton course-what Level does it get you to? Is it the equivalent of BASI Level 1 or does it get you to the equivalent of BASI Level 2? I can't read German so I can't see for myself.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it looks like less than level 2 but more than level 1 if I get it correctly.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just booked the snowboard level 1, child protection whatever and a BASP 2 day 1st aid course. And I'm now a member of BASI, which is slightly more embarassing than having to wear spyder jackets in work.

How much riding do you get on these courses? I don't want to be spazzing around all day unclipped and holding hands with people.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stab, where are you going to be taking it? Zermatt on 17th Nov?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yeah zermatt, 17-21 nov then the kiddy thing is 21st as well so I guess it's a module in the evening or something, then 1st aid on 22nd and 23rd.

My mate came up with a good plan, dont book a course, go boarding for a week then come home and say I failed Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ooh that secret members only atomic boards bit is good, an axum for 180 quid is not far off what I pay for a board with big discount. Atomic (despite being ski manufacturers) make some excellent boards, that axum is a jib monkeys dream, super flexy but stable at mach 10.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stab, sell out ........
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stab, At least you can get into the members area. My doppelgänger has spoiled it up for both of us Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
stab, sell out ........

au contraire mon frere, I've managed to put myself into a prime position for my war against skiing. I can bang on all day about ski this and ski that in the shop but now not only can I abuse people to snowboard instead of ski I can now (eventually) teach them. And you know it's going to be fun with captain stoner in charge of your class Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stab, duuuuuuuude wheres my board ? Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stab, duuuuude, my board is floating on the piste ? can not wait for the pow !! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stab,
Quote:

My mate came up with a good plan, dont book a course, go boarding for a week then come home and say I failed

Why, is someone else paying for your course and accomodation then?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5, it must be an excuse to go on holiday without the GF wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
stab,
Quote:

My mate came up with a good plan, dont book a course, go boarding for a week then come home and say I failed

Why, is someone else paying for your course and accomodation then?

No I'm paying, my mate understands I would prefer a week of boarding on my own instead of a week doing a course.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DebbiDoesSnow, I don't have a girlfriend anymore.
snow report
stab, me n my big feet Embarassed
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, because I got married.
snow report
no way! U kept that quiet! When, where? Damn another one gone!Congrats an all that jazz
latest report
i've done my level 1
and basi need to know your safe to teach hence why the hours needed and the refresher courses.
the level 1 is aimed mainly at indoor and dryslopes so it wont work on the mountains.
snow report
thats the part I dont get, I couldnt find one that was good to go for mountain work yet the zermatt course is on a mountain. Makes no sense to me. Ah well. 5 weeks to go and I get to go boarding again, assuming my home resort doesn't open before then.
ski holidays
Does anyone know if it's technically possible to fail this L1? I'm going to look like a right dick if I do. It seems you only have to be able to know which side of a snowboard to stand on to be able to go on the course.
Looking at the course I think my attitude towards tourism (aka trespassing on my mountain) may need some work, some serious work.

Is it possible to do the 5 day course, kids anti death course and 1st aid in 7 days then walk away with a shiny L1 badge to stick on my ass or doesn't it work like that?

And what does this mean?
Quote:

PLEASE NOTE: After completion of your Snowboard Level 1 Instructor, students will have a minimum pre requisite of 35 hours of ski school experience. This can be obtained either on a dry slope; snowdome or with a Snowsports school before attending a BASI Level 2 Instructor Training module. The Director of the school is required to sign a letter, on headed paper, stating that these hours have been completed. A copy of this letter is to be sent to the BASI office for verification.

You have to do L1 then 35 hours to get your L1 badge or you have to do L1 then 35 hours to be able to go forward for L2?
Now if only I knew some ski school directors Little Angel

One last question, none of my courses come up as confirmed, am I supposed to confirm them or are basi?
Quote:
Pre-requisites
The following pre-requisites must be met before attending a Snowboard Level 1 Instructor course.
Students must:

Complete the declaration on the booking form and return it to the BASI office.

What declaration on what booking form??? Sorry for all the questions, I just have visions of me turning up and not getting on the course because I didnt jump through the hoops first.
ski holidays
stab,Last season there was 20% fail rate for L1 boarding.

You will have to do 35 hours shadowing (plus CP & 1st aid) before you are issued with your L1 badge/licence. The shadowing has to be done after you have completed the L1 course. Before you can go forward to do the L2 course you have to do a further 35 hours of shadowing to make a total of 70 hours.

BASI should send you the booking form to confirm your details which should be returned to the BASI Office before the course starts. I think you might be able to download this from the BASI website.

It is BASI who confirms whether the course that you are booked on will actually run. If there are too few people booked on to the course they will cancel it.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
stab,Last season there was 20% fail rate for L1 boarding.

You will have to do 35 hours shadowing (plus CP & 1st aid) before you are issued with your L1 badge/licence. The shadowing has to be done after you have completed the L1 course. .

balls and balls. I havent got time to do 70 hours this winter, I wanted to do level 2 next winter thinking I only had to do 35 more hours, I thought the 1st 35 were part of the level 1 course then you get your licence.

The course is 8/10 booked now, assuming 10 people get on then on average 2 will fail, that's a lot of money to blow on failing Sad
snow report
stab, can you do some shadowing over the summer?
ski holidays
just checked my emails, I have online booking confirmation but it says they will contact me 8 weeks before to confirm the course, it's now 4 weeks before, should I worry?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:

no not at all Sad I was planning on giving up one day off a week to do some shadowing for the 35 hours this winter, 70 just wont be possible.
snow report
stab, give the office a call. If they have 8 people booked on the course I'd be confident it would run. IIRC my L2 course wasn't formally confirmed until a couple of weeks before it ran.
snow conditions
stab wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

no not at all Sad I was planning on giving up one day off a week to do some shadowing for the 35 hours this winter, 70 just wont be possible.

It's tough to get the hours in. I did L1 and L2 last season and it was a big effort to get the hours done.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, cheers, I'll bell them in the morning. Been getting grief from the OH about not failing, didnt think it was possible but then there wouldnt be resit courses if it wasnt possible would there.
ski holidays
stab wrote:
rob@rar, cheers, I'll bell them in the morning. Been getting grief from the OH about not failing, didnt think it was possible but then there wouldnt be resit courses if it wasnt possible would there.

I don't know about the boarding courses, but the L1 standard for skiing is not very high. But, you do have to do things the "BASI way" or you will get failed, no matter how good you are at getting around the mountain. There was a very good skier on my L1 course, significantly better than me off-piste and in the bumps, who had to make some big changes to his technique during the week in order to pass. For the first couple of days he had an attitude issue which meant he didn't really want to make the changes that the Trainer was telling him to do. He was told that if he wanted to pass he needed to change, which he did eventually do in the second half of the week.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 20-10-08 21:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
[ For the first couple of days he had an attitude issue which meant he didn't really want to make the changes that the Trainer was telling him to do.

that's what I'm worried about, I'm a dick sometimes Laughing
latest report
stab wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
[ For the first couple of days he had an attitude issue which meant he didn't really want to make the changes that the Trainer was telling him to do.

that's what I'm worried about, I'm a dick sometimes Laughing

It's only a week when you have to behave, so not too big a challenge? I don't think BASI Trainers are renowned for their lack of ego, so it's best to make whatever changes they make if you want to stand the best chance of passing. When you move on to L2 probably with a different Trainer you'll have a new set of hoops to jump through as it seems that each Trainer has their own things they like to emphasize!
snow report
it's going to be tough but I'll try Laughing
Last question I promise, do you have to wear a helmet?
ski holidays
stab wrote:
it's going to be tough but I'll try Laughing
Last question I promise, do you have to wear a helmet?

No, I don't think you do. It might be different among boarders on BASI courses, but about half of my group on both L1 and L2 courses wore helmets (including our Trainer on the L2 course). There are some rules/guidelines about being dressed appropriately and standards of behaviour while on the course (eg no drinking or smoking) but I don't think that there is a requirement to wear a helmet.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
[There are some rules/guidelines about being dressed appropriately and standards of behaviour while on the course (eg no drinking or smoking)

haha, maybe I should ask for a refund now then.
Sadly I am beginning to regret getting involved in this basi thing now, could be an expensive mistake. Was trying to set myself up to potentially teach private lessons in 2 to 3 years assuming I get fed up of the shop and fancy a change for a season. Strings in bows and arrows in quivers and all that.
Even more depressed now than yesterday morning when I woke up thinking I was 50.

Will take my helmet anyway, probably a good idea to remove the headphones though Smile
snow report
stab wrote:
Sadly I am beginning to regret getting involved in this basi thing now, could be an expensive mistake.

It's not difficult to pass the first couple of levels, but you do need to be fairly serious about it. It's not something that you can do in a half-hearted way IME.
snow conditions
stab, Would imagine you would need it for the park (should there be one), else probably not.
ski holidays
david@mediacopy, they better relax the no smoking thing if they expect me in the park after a break of 2 months from boarding. Parks scare me when I'm in my end of march god-like snowboarder mode, I'm scared to think what I would be like in a park straight away this winter, especially the zermatt one which puts the fear of god into me.
Actually that would be cool if there was some park stuff in the course, putting the threat of serious injury at the beginning of the winter and being a big poof about it aside I would enjoy that.
snow conditions
Park 'lite' I'd imagine if a park is available. There was no real freestyle in the L1 course I did but it's hard to imagine the trainer not having a little play ....

The smoking and drinking thing - if you treat it like a job, as if you are really teaching and in front of clients you should be fine.
snow report
dt wrote:
If you want to get a good grounding in teaching don't touch BASI with a barge pole.

In my opinion the BASI system is heavily based on personal performance when, especially when teaching beginners, what instructors actually need is a solid understanding of the basics and an easy, logical way of teaching them.

Whilst there are undoubtedly some exceptional BASI instructors about, as an accreditation system it is deeply flawed and very expensive.

Sorry but feel I have to but in
"In my opinion the BASI system is heavily based on personal performance"
Of course it is. If you are good enought to pass - you will. If you're not you will not. Simple.
There is a difference between coaching and instructing.
Coaching - you teach people to a higher leve than your own.

Instructing - you teach people up to your own level.

You need to be able to demonstrate what you're teaching so "the BASI system is heavily based on personal performance"

Whilst there are undoubtedly some exceptional BASI instructors about, as an accreditation system it is deeply flawed
I have worked in many resorts (ski not board) and my BASI has always been accepted as it is seen all over europe as a good example of the instrcutors level of ability to "ski" and to "Teach"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy