Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nightmare Exchange Rates.....Advice Please?

Poster: A snowHead
Calling all snowHead city slickers or snowHead foreign exchange whizzes!!

Anyone any thoughts on whether the £ has much further to go down against the € and the $? Will it ever go up again or am I doomed to cry into my £5 a pint beer in Tignes?

Wondering whether to buy some currency now (for assorted Europe trips and Utah debut) as daily window shopping seems to confirm that the £ is in total freefall.

Help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help with the future, but it's not so long ago that I bought US $ at £1.34, so the current FX rate doesn't seem quite nightmarish to me, despite the sudden rise of the $/fall of the £.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Given that we are the only western economy forecast to go into full blown recession I guess the pound will find its own natural level. Remember we've seen parity with the dollar in the past. I think the Euro could weaken though given that the PIGS are scr**ed.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict, Darling is preapring the economy skillfully and subtlely for entry into the Euro at a 1:1 level in June 2010
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers so far!!

I do recall the £ at a much lower level vs the $ but was speaking relatively - that is in comparison to the halcion era of the 1.90-odd rate which was prevalent for quite some time (ie until I booked to go to the US!!..... Confused )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Darling is preapring the economy skillfully and subtlely for entry into the Euro at a 1:1 level in June 2010

<chortle>
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A solution to bad exchange rates. Ski Scotland! snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict, I get paid in ££ and $$ with €€ and CHF liabilities. Consider yourself lucky.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Winterhighland wrote:

Classic!!! NehNeh
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch wrote:
mountainaddict, I get paid in ££ and $$ with €€ and CHF liabilities. Consider yourself lucky.

I feel your pain, I get paid in CHF, pay in EUR and have tax liabilities in Switzerland, France, UK and the USA! Encule 4 fois par le fisc, ca fait mal!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i have been convinced 1.25 ish was the base to get long of sterling.. things were looking rosy at the start of august.. alas darling has put a spanner in the works... everytime it looks like sterling could recover something has popped up to spoil the party. either a buliding society going bust or a chancellor going wibble.. rate meeting today as well.. they need to cut perversly the sooner they get the rate cutting that will come out of the way the sooner stg will recover much like the dollar is starting to
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CANV CANVINGTON, I am afraid that the Darling/Brown combo seem rather far away from having a sensible handle on the economy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think we (Uk) will pull out of it (reccession) pretty quickly, just like the US has (3 months ago the OECD were forcasting a deep recession for the US, last Q they grew 3.3%!), the Europeans however have much greater structural problems, less flexible working practices, and higher structural unemployment. As a result Eurozone growth has come to a halt while inflation has risen forcing the ECB to keep rates high (by European standards), those rates will start to come down in the 4th quarter and the Euro with them. My prediction is the pound will be at £ to Eur 1.35-39 and £ to $ 1.63-68 by Jun 2009. So buy dollars with pounds now but wait out on the Euro's.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
Encule 4 fois par le fisc, ca fait mal!

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's one way round the profanity filter!
ski holidays
mountainaddict, I agree with JimSearle, buy your dollars now, and if you plan to go back the next winter, and can afford to, I would buy next years as well. Euros -wait as long as you can.
ski holidays
GBP hit a new low against the EUR yesterday I believe. The 'wait as long as you can' approach is a gamble on it climbing back up again. I must say I'm half tempted to buy a load now, rather than wait for it to go any lower...
snow conditions
JimSearle,

good call and I like the argument.

The company I work for has already ridden..to some extent..the huge fuel hikes and the profits are looking on track.not great, but in profit...so whilst not a blip, I think we aren't spiralling downhill quite so fast.

The best thing Brown and Darling can do is keep out of it and shut the f** up....as all they seem to do is make things worse
snow report
Winterhighland wrote:

And whilst your there, visit a friend in hospital, go and get your prescriptions and enquire about Uni for the kids. All for free, well not really you've already paid for it with your tax. Embarassed
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Can't help with the future, but it's not so long ago that I bought US $ at £1.34, so the current FX rate doesn't seem quite nightmarish to me, despite the sudden rise of the $/fall of the £.

Surely you mean your £ bought $1.34
ski holidays
Kel, Embarassed yes, I did. Thanks for the correction.
ski holidays
Do a 50% hedge.

Buy roughly half of what you need now.

And the other half when you go to Tignes.

If the Pound falls further, then atleast you will have made some savings.

Britain has become the sick man of Europe. The Pound is likely to lose more value in the near-term.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Kel, you could read this or alternatively you could restrict your ignorant drivel to threads about bindings. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

Kel, you could read this or alternatively you could restrict your ignorant drivel to threads about bindings.

Now now girls!!

Kel's remark (and Brian's McResponse) reminds me of the time (many years ago and long before Braveheart) when I asked a Scottish colleague "Have you ever heard of somebody called William Wallace?".....(Well I certainly hadn't as he hadn't warranted a mention during 1970s O Level history studies...)

Cue explosion and lengthy, yet interesting, history lesson concerning the Scots being downtrodden by centuries of Sassenach oppesssion. I'm not surprised that Mel Gibson wouldn't stand for it....
snow conditions
Quote:

Encule 4 fois par le fisc, ca fait mal!

mais pour etre tant ciblé, tu dois avoir pas mal de fric, non?
latest report
pam w, not necessarily, it's being taxed several times on one lot of income that can feel really painful. On the other hand, I'm still carrying forward a nice capital gains loss on a French transaction - every cloud...
latest report
 brian
brian
mountainaddict, actually I'm not that big on the sassenach oppression line, at least not in the last 250 years or so (and imo the Highlanders were just as much victims of use and abuse by Jacobitism as they were of oppression by the Hanoverians).

However, this constant English bleating about how well off everyone else is at their expense really gets on my thruppenies. Scots gave you the enlightenment, played a disproportionate role in empire building (but have mostly transferred the guilt to you wink ) and have been net contributors to the UK exchequer for decades. You offer us the bribe/security blanket of Barnett to keep us on side and then whinge like feck about its consequences. You offer devolution as a sop to nationalism and then stick your unwelcome noses in to every decision about how we spend our own budget (which has increased precisely 0% since the establishment of the Scottish parliament btw).

Anyway (1), with such a geographically spread population, it's inevitable that per capita spending will be higher here.

Anyway (2), the Barnett formula takes no account of large scale infrastructure (whose economy gets the benefit of channel tunnel rail links, olympic games etc. etc.?) or defence spending (disproportionately down south, who'd have thought it?)

O/t rant over (you'll be glad to hear), and yes, we only have ourselves to blame. Sad ... and will probably bottle it in 2010 Sad Sad I'm away for a good greet.

btw, if you thought that was bad, don't get me started on Braveheart. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
brian, I watched Braveheart the other day..despite my btter judgement..and thought it a load of tosh... I kept on referring to Wiki to see what was what..

Whats wrong with it from a Scottish POV..?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
JT, tosh is putting it mildly to say the least. Rather than sit here until Xmas (2010) listing errors, I googled for an illustration:

http://medievalscotland.org/scotbiblio/bravehearterrors.shtml

If you remember the Comic Strip's version of the Miners' Strike, then Braveheart is the equivalent for the Wars of Independence. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Brilliant thread drift here... came in search of exchange rates and ended up reading about the inaccuracies of Braveheart! I enjoyed it as a film to be honest... but i didn't watch it as a documentary... apparently Mel Gibson hadn't even been born then!
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Do a 50% hedge.

Buy roughly half of what you need now.

And the other half when you go to Tignes.

If the Pound falls further, then atleast you will have made some savings.

Britain has become the sick man of Europe. The Pound is likely to lose more value in the near-term.

Quote:
Hello is that the Alpaka? I'd like to pay for half of my beers for my next skiing holiday now please, and I'll pay the rest when I get out there. You do run a beer futures market don't you?
ski holidays
brian wrote:
Kel, you could read this or alternatively you could restrict your ignorant drivel to threads about bindings. rolling eyes

Brian I will meet you inside York City Walls at Midnight with my Longbow, be warned I'm a good shot. wink
ski holidays
the exchange rate seems to have improved slightly? snowHead
latest report
brian, well I wouldnt mind Salmond as my leader...on the other hand....Andy Murray.. Smile
latest report
pam w, yes, it does, back to above 1.23 I think.
snow report
Which part of Scotland was Braveheart from? Toofy Grin
latest report
Boredsurfing, he wasn't from Scotland... he was from a dystopic future Australia...
snow report
ski-finder,
Quote:

Boredsurfing, he wasn't from Scotland... he was from a dystopic future Australia...

Actually he was born in the Peekskill New York in the "Good old US of A" and moved to Aussi when he was 12 years old.
ski holidays
mountainaddict,
Quote:

Cue explosion and lengthy, yet interesting, history lesson concerning the Scots being downtrodden by centuries of Sassenach oppression. I'm not surprised that Mel Gibson wouldn't stand for it....

Surely Sassenach was originally a name given by the Highlanders to the Lowland Scots and not the English?
snow report
JP, you learn something new everyday... especially on snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy