Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bindings?? what does DIN mean???? what are the difference between bindings??

Poster: A snowHead
hey everyone,

can someone give me a bit of info on bindings i.e. im guessing they are all different but how do they differ? if i was to buy some all mountain skis what sort of binsings would i look at? and what is a DIN setting lol sorry to be so thick but nit got a clue
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
grazygeorges or lazygeorges?

There are loads of really good threads about bindings and DINS in this section.

Someone with more time than me might write more or even post some links.

Personally I recommend the SEARCH button.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
parlor, grazyJONGes Shirley ? wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
grazygeorges,

Most all mountain skis come with bindings fitted and these will be of similar quality to the skis that they are fitted to.

With regards to the DIN setting, this is the setting at which your binding will release from your boot in the event of a fall. There are several factors to consider when setting your DIN which are ability/style, weight, height, age and boot length.

But to be quite frank if you need to be asking you shouldn't be messing. Just let the shop set them at the correct DIN and leave alone until your skiing has improved to a level that the DIN needs altering, by which time you will probably have gained some technical knowledge and might want to crank it up 1/2 a notch at a time. My simple rule of thumb is : If the ski comes off under YOUR normal skiing style without falling then the DIN is set too low, on the other hand if you have a fall whilst going at a reasonable pace and the binding does not release the the DIN is set too high.

There are other factors to consider such as different snow conditions, i.e. a ski will release much easier on a hard packed piste than on soft powder. Seriously leave your DIN setting well alone it is one of the easiest ways to brake your leg if it is set too high or even too low.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 3-09-08 12:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
grazygeorges,

Binding settings are derived from and follow loosely race classifications.

That is, the top racers ski on DIN settings of 1, 2 or maybe 3, with skiers who are strong but not good enough to win races being generally on DINs of 4-10. Intermediate skiers cluster around 11-14 whereas for beginners you should look for bindings with DIN settings starting at 14. (commonly made of metal rather than plastic, as metal is heavier, helps with speed and hence reduces the potential handicap of a weaker skier in a race).

For all-mountain skiing, a brand to be considered is Marker. Marker has introduced a useful feature in its bindings called pre-release, which predicts when a skier may injure himself/ herself and releases the ski. (Pre-release is especially useful for skiing in narrow steep couloirs, above rock faces, etc). However, as you are probably a beginner, this may not be relevant until your second or third week of skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
horizon wrote:
grazygeorges,

That is, the top racers ski on DIN settings of 1, 2 or maybe 3, with skiers who are strong but not good enough to win races being generally on DINs of 4-10. Intermediate skiers cluster around 11-14 whereas for beginners you should look for bindings with DIN settings starting at 14. .

??? wrong way round?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
grazygeorges, lazy question
horizon, unfunny answer
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx I think horizon knows.

grazygeorges make use of the search function-all this has been done before-if you remain extra stuck then ask again.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
arv wrote:

I know you are saying he does really know (which I expect he does), but it's a deeply unhelpful and unfunny post to reply to an inexperienced skier.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 3-09-08 13:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx, I guess I rolled out the wrong side of bed. My bad Madeye-Smiley Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
horizon,

Your using a different DIN scale to me then. Typically a beginners ski will have a binding with a DIN rating of 1-10,

a DIN rating of 1 = a 4' 10" 6 stone beginner
a DIN rating of 10 = a 6' 4" 15 stone intermediate - advanced skier, who really should be upgrading his kit.

Better qaulity bindings will typically go up to 12 or 14 to accomadate the more advanced user, with world cup race skis having settings up to 20 (not that I have ever used them, only seen them).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:
arv wrote:

I know you are saying he does really know (which I expect he does), but it's a deeply unhelpful and unfunny post to reply to an inexperienced skier.

Cross posted above, but agree. I didn't realize he was taking the P***, which is why I posted again.

NOT FUNNY, this is how bones get broke. Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe if I read the last paragraph properly I would have realized, but still not funny.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel, that was my point - I was so amazed at para 1 I didn't get as far as the last paragraph. Even so, grazygeorges asked a question in good faith and deserves a proper answer (inc use the search!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oh God...I should have posted my reply on TGR but they don't quite get the same questions there.

For the record, grazygeorges, Kel, holidayloverxx, my answer above is not correct and it's an attempt at subtly saying that a bit of search would be useful before asking such general questions. But I guess some people get their kicks from answering these questions. Today I got mine from poking a little fun. (obviously we have a different sense of humour, but that's fine, too)

holidayloverxx, I don't really think that grazygeorges will go out, buy a 14-21 DIN binding and crank it up based on my advice, do you?

beequin, poor imitation of Whitegold.
ski holidays
DIN is a german standard .....

http://www.summitsportsinc.com/online/guides/ski-binding-guide.html
latest report
sorry for not using the search facility guys but everytime i use search and then click the back button the page goes blank. thank you kel and holidayloverxx for telling me whats what otherwise i woul dhave just follwed horizons comment which as you say isnt funny Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
grazygeorges,

No need for apologies, I am sure that there once was a day when Horizon didn't know what a DIN setting was. Puzzled
snow report
horizon - why bother answering my question though, i didnt know the answer in the first place so of course im going to listen to what people have to say on here. your sense of humour is a bit warped mate and i have a good reason for not using the search facility and thats because it doesnt seem to work
snow conditions
I did a quick search and it threw up this, haven't read it properly but the thread title seems to fit you well.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=824087&highlight=binding+din+setting#824087
ski holidays
I'll get myself in stocks and there'll be a public stoning tomorrow at 11 am for all interested.

Admission price £5 with 10% going to snowheads and the rest shared equally between the Alpine Rescue team and the mountain surgery of your choice, to atone for the countless broken bones that my advice above has surely caused by now.

Kel, of course there was a time when I didn't know what DIN settings were, but by the time I was considering all-mountain skis, as grazygeorges is on the other thread, I certainly did. And I still don't believe that he would have just gone and bought bindings on the strength of that advice alone (assuming anyone sold them to him, and mounted them).

However, for any eventuality, I do have a bridge to sell.
latest report
grazygeorges, ok, here's what a 30-second Google search comes up with:

http://www.dinsetting.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_binding

http://coffee.sdsc.edu/rcw/din_setting/

I hope this is useful.

But - and this is real advice - if you want to ski all-mountain and also try the park, it would be best by far to get your DIN set at a shop by someone qualified.
snow report
 brian
brian
horizon, sick. (in all senses) Laughing
ski holidays
grazygeorges wrote:
horizon - why bother answering my question though, i didnt know the answer in the first place so of course im going to listen to what people have to say on here. your sense of humour is a bit warped mate and i have a good reason for not using the search facility and thats because it doesnt seem to work

how about right clicking to open the results you want to see in a new window (or even using tabs if your browser allows it)?
snow report
its weird i type something in on the search button and it brings everything up then so i can go in and read one but then if i click back to look at another the screen just goes blank and i need to shut the window and start everything again. no idea why lol
ski holidays
grazygeorges wrote:
its weird i type something in on the search button and it brings everything up then so i can go in and read one but then if i click back to look at another the screen just goes blank and i need to shut the window and start everything again. no idea why lol

As Arno says, instead of just clicking on the link, right-click and choose "open in new window" (or open in new tab), then the original window with the search results will always stay open.

I suspect what may be happening with you is that when you hit the "back" button, it thinks it needs to resubmit the forms details, but for some reason isn't asking you whether it should.
snow report
ah i get it now will do, cheers
snow report
horizon, i sympatise with you - no-one ever takes any notice of the answers on "what bindings" threads. they always get lots of sensible advice then they get the cheapest sh1ttiest markers available from Sport Conrad even though they could get some very good used salomons on ebay for half the price.

grazygeorges, prove me wrong! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="horizon"]

Kel, of course there was a time when I didn't know what DIN settings were, but by the time I was considering all-mountain skis, as grazygeorges is on the other thread, I certainly did.

I've just read it, kind of get it now Laughing that I've got the bigger picture.

grazygeorges The best skis in the world aren't going to make you a better skier, you will know what you want when you have established your style which I don't think you have yet.

Rent, try all different types, only you will know which suits. NOBODY is going to be impressed with the Newbie who's got all the kit. If you buy now you will probably buy wrong.

I was set on buying some Fischer RX 8 a couple of years ago, I had tried them at Xscape and liked them. I went to buy them in resort and to be honest I was not interested in buying anything else. The guy in the shop said I should try the Scott RCX (Race Cross Carve), so I did back to back with the Fischer's. For ME the Scott's beat the Fischer's hand down and bought them there and then and do not regret it, however I have only ever seen 2 other people with the Scott RCX and probably thousands with Fischer RX 8.

So the moral is try before you buy, nobody is going to laugh at you for renting ski's on the contrary they will laugh at you for buying the wrong kit.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 3-09-08 14:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
For what it's worth, afaik it has not been referred to as DIN for some years now, at least by Salomon. "Release setting" is the preferred and much more descriptive terminology.
ski holidays
hey just coz i dont know the technical side of things doesnt mean i cant ski or get all mountain skis, just always had a pro to sort that side of things out for me and wanted to learn a bit myself, i can ski though lol. oh i dont want some effort pair of bindings thats why wanted to know a bit more about them so dont fall into that trap. you get what you pay for
snow report
grazygeorges, I dont want to be rude but you've described yourself as an 'Intermediate' skier ( notwithstanding the broad definition of that term) and you're looking at some demanding advanced/expert skis in your other thread for both on and off piste, yet you have no idea about binding settings at all, that is confusing a few folks. Id have thought that most skiers would have known that there was as a release setting by their second or third skiing trip so easy to see why horizon, answered the way he did

You will undoubtedly get better and more appropriate advice here if you told them all how much experience you actually have. There are some very helpful folks here but and it will help with your next questions if you were a tad more precise. I, for one, assumed you were a lot more experienced than ,now, I can see you obviously are.

A 'Search' tip - When 'searching' the database for technical stuff like 'Settings' input the author as 'Megamum'. She has asked every/most dumb question/s ( ie the questions we should have / liked to have asked but were too macho to do so ) and you'll find a superb encyclopedia of ski knowledge.

horizon, I'll be in the front row for your public stoning wink
snow report
Gold.. File it
ski holidays
haha forums make me laugh
latest report
Agenterre,

Seems like we cross posted with more or less same advice.
snow conditions
oh i already have skis, had them for a few yrs now think people assume im still stuck at the snow plow lol i learned quickly very quickly and was doing parallels in my first 3days thats was yrs back so yes i can ski lol
latest report
grazygeorges,

If you already have skis and want to invest in some new kit why not buy this, it will improve your technique beyond recognition.

http://www.skiallday.co.uk/sm/pdf/ski-mojo%20leaflet.pdf
snow conditions
Kel, Does it teach you how to turn Or will the new Wii do that for me?
snow conditions
skid & slide,

IMHO The Wii board is an excellent tool to grasp the basics, probably equivalent to 3 or 4 days on the piste for a beginner, but the MoJo is the Dogs nuts for any skier of any ability, the difference it makes is astounding. I wore one and beat the ESF's top instructor over a timed slalom.

I'll add a Little Angel here just in case
snow conditions
Kel wrote:
skid & slide,

IMHO The Wii board is an excellent tool to grasp the basics, probably equivalent to 3 or 4 days on the piste for a beginner, but the MoJo is the Dogs nuts for any skier of any ability, the difference it makes is astounding. I wore one and beat the ESF's top instructor over a timed slalom.

I'll add a Little Angel here just in case

Kel, you don't know it yet but you're on a slippery slope, next thing you know you'll keep me company here in unhelpful poster hell. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy