Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having only ever been skiing in Soldeu, Andorra, we are venturing to Val Thorens this year.

Has anyone ever driven from Lyon Airport to the resort? How is it?

And can anyone provide advice on good cheap self catering accomodation?

In fact anything from past Val Thorens visitors will be appreciated! Can't wait! BRING ON THE SEASON!!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SharkEnergy, it's a nice easy drive from Lyon, about 2.5 to 3hrs I'd say, autoroute/dual carriageway to Moutier then right turn and a good road all the way up to VT but you need to be prepared for snow on the road and make sure your hire car has chains!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SharkEnergy, as Roger C, says, it's an easy drive. Check out http://www.skigb.com/ for good basic cheap accomodation.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I drove from the UK, but the route takes you via Lyon anyway, it's quite simple - more so than I expected. The ascent on the road upto Val Thorens was good and clear when we went - but you need to allow extra time if the weather isn't so good as the road can have snow on it meaning you'll need to drive very carefully. Most hire companies should give you at least chains at that time of year, but don't forget to check in advance with them!

We stayed in 'Le Tikal' from P&V holidays, wasn't the cheapest but was a bit bigger than some of the more basic apartments we'd seen.
http://www.pv-holidays.com/hu_val_thorens_ski_holiday.php
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't assume you will be given chains by a hire company.
We rented a car at Chambery thinking the same for a drive to/from ValD.
We had snow on the drive back, looked in the boot for some chains and they weren't provided.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
you will need chains. The police check on the way up if you have them (and will tell you to put them on.) they will not let you up the mountain without them if it is snowing! There are quite a few "nifty bends" as my children call them to resort.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy