Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Heading off with a group of 15 to Serre Chevalier in '09.

All the organising is being done by others thi syear so haven't really had a hand in any organisation so....

Good resort or not?
Anything to watch out for?
Nightlife?

Any information gratefully received.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cubby, there are a number of regular snowHead SC residents and apartment owners who'll no doubt turn up to give some useful advice.

Where are you staying? SC is made of 4 main towns Briancon, Chantemerle, Villeneuve and Monetier. The whole area is well connected with a good lift system that has benefited from some good modernisation in the last 6 years or so. Although popular, it remains one of the France's "best kept secrets" IMO, combining charm and character with modern facilities. Although the towns are possibly considered low (1200m to 1600m) by many standards, it is unusual not to be able to ski down in most seasons.

There is quite good snow-making equipment to augment the natural stuff when it fails to fall sufficiently. The regions is mainly North facing which helps maintain snow cover and the skiing is a fantastic combination of high, open terrrain and tree-lined runs. There are plenty of off-piste options if you need them.

The SC ski pass also provides one days skiing at Montgenevre if you fancy a trip out of the area. Ski passes are of the electronic variety, so no photo required.

There are plenty of fairly reasonable mountain restaurants for the daytime stops - the Serre Ratier area above Chantemerle being my personnal favourite - there are 3 restaurant/cafe/bars from memory, though in the peak weeks these can become extremely busy - no great surprise!

The main towns support a good range of eating/drinking options and I'd recommend an evening in Briancon's old town which was fortified and now has a great deal of charm.

There is a ski bus that serves the entire valley which is free with your pass. For reasonably fit intermediate skiers it is entirely possible to ski from one end of SC to the other and back in a day. Do ski the Luc Alphand black down into Chantemerle if you get the chance - it's quite a fast, sweeping run culminating in the "wall" - a 300m decent that is steep and will get the legs burning!! One of my favourite runs and great at about 10.30am well before the masses carve it up!!

Skiing over Cucumelle (?) is also another of the favourites mentioned by people who know the area and they're not wrong.

As for nightlife? It might be easier to answer this once you state where you are staying.

I'm sure you'll have a terrific time. It's a great place to ski and has plenty for all abilities.

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cubby, my answers will depend on where you are staying, there are 3 villages (Monetier, Villeneuve and Chantemerle, and a town (Briancon) as well as several other smaller villages.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

it remains one of the France's "best kept secrets" IMO

Agree totally with the above (and the rest of Chasseur's detailed description). Been to all the big French areas (Espace Killy, 3Vs, Paradiski, Portes du Soleil) & was a bit surprised to find how big/good Serre C was in comparison. In fact so good that Mrs S & I went there twice last winter. It's got a great mix of skiing above and below the tree line - particularly impressed with the amount of tree skiing for bad weather days.
For anyone who's thinking of Serre Chevalier, we loved Briancon - Hotel vauban was recommended by a snowHead and is excellent value in a good spot for the gondola and nights out. The old town (walled ramparts etc) was a real bonus - very un ski-resort like. Prices are generally quite a bit cheaper than the mega areas listed above.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Apologies for not replying in more detail sooner. Chasseur has already said much of what I would have done anyway, I know he loves the place too. Villages are spread along the valley, with the pistes above. I think it is an excellent resort, so much so that I bought a place there, and visit in summer as well as in winter.

Don't forget to visit the the new thermal spa in Monetier-les-Bains which opened last month. I expect it will be very popular, so probably best to book a visit in advance, I think a 2 hour ticket is about 17€.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a question too. DOes anyone know a nice, reasonably priced hotel in the region (visit mid March). Would be nice if it's both close to the lifts as some nice après-ski...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try the Plein Sud in Chantemerle, the Christiana in Villneuve and the Rif Blanc or Hotel Europe in Monetier.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanx! Is there any apres-ski in the region?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bart bdv:

Quote:

Does anyone know a nice, reasonably priced hotel in the region (visit mid March)

See my earlier mention of Hotel Vauban in Briancon - very reasonable, comfortable and clean (if slightly faded in parts) with a very decent breakfast and a nice restaurant and bar. We used the place on two visits after it was recommended by a snowHead last season. See http://www.hotel-vauban.fr/

The hotel is under 5 mins walk from the gondola (or the ski bus stop if you want to start your day at another bit of the ski area) and about the same to the start of the restaurants/bars in town.

Briancon is not the liveliest of apres ski towns - but it all depends what you're after and there's a good range of decent priced restaurants. As stated earlier, the old town (which is about 1 mile from Hotel vauban - regular buses)is really picturesque - ramparts, drawbridges and battlements etc - especially when it's snow covered. Some lovely restaurants there too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bart_bdv wrote:
Thanx! Is there any apres-ski in the region?

Chantemerle and Villeneuve will probably be the liveliest, but none of the villages are rowdy. It has more of a traditonal atmosphere than the usual French mega-resorts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all

Thanks for th info so far, looks good, hope there is plenty of white stuff around.

We are heading for Villeneuve apparently so that narrows things down a bit. Last week in Jan has been booked.

Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cubby, Self catering , hotel, or chalet?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cubby, Villeneuve is very central to the valley, so you have an easy access to all the ski area, with plenty of apres too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bart_bdv, although I've not stayed there, the hotel La Boule de Neige in Chantemerle looks nice and I've heard some ok reviews of the place. It's about 300m from the centre/lifts. Otherwise, I'd echo Helen Beaumont's recommendations. From personal experience, I'd say Villeneuve is probably livelier, especially with Le Yeti no longer being in Chantemerle..... Sad

Here is another snowHead thread from 2007 with some useful info about SC, restaurants, pit stops, runs etc etc.

It really is well past the time for a re-visit I think.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, What about snow reliability in the first week of April, running up to Easter, is it dodgy or not too bad Puzzled We had a very soggy days skiing there from les 2 Alpes 2 years ago in the last week of march.
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas, first week in April has always been OK when we have visited, and we've always been able to ski back to the bottom at 1500m, but it's not a first lift till last time, a late lunch and an early start are better.
snow report
Martin Nicholas,
I skied Serre Che for about six years consecutively in april. One year I cancelled last minute as there were generally poor snow conditions in the southern alps that year and the snow conditions detreriorated further just prior to our holiday. The other times varied from good to excellent. There was always skiing down to village level at all bases other than Briancon and there was skiing to that level several years.
The slopes generally face North and East by paying attention to the direction of the sun you could get good skiing pretty much all day. Though in the poorer years the area was a bit more limited by late afternoon. In the good years the skiing was faulous throughout the day though it would be very rare not to have soft conditions down to the resort in the afternoon.
snow report
T Bar, much better said than I did. I am a bit preoccupied this afternoon.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont,

Hope to go again soon as we haven't skied there for a couple of years now.
latest report
T Bar, three for me! As mentioned above, overdue for a return to what is for me the psychological "home" of skiing.
snow report
So looking foward to losing my Skiing Serre Chevalier virginity this christmas. Let's all hope for brilliant conditions for 08/09 starting in December! Already obsessing over the ski map and where I'd like to go. 106 days to go! snowHead
snow conditions
Loved it when I was there in Feb, would definitely go again next yr.
ski holidays
What do folks think of SC for families. We have youngish kids (7 & 9) who are quite good skiers, certainly up to reds and doing some black on their lessons last year and liking the ski park ! I am a competent intermediate but not that brave.
snow report
Dr George, it is excellent for families, it has a Famille Plus award and has lots of activities for children in the evenings after skiing too. They will have plenty of fun in their ski school, and can show you round the gentler stuff too.
ski holidays
Dr George,
I'd second Helen Beaumont, we have taken our family there each of the above Aprils and loved it.
latest report
Taken my family there twice and also worked there for a couple of season few years ago - my favourite resort with something for everyone.
snow conditions
Chalet, can't remember the name but it's through Crystals. Not done a chalet before personnally so really looking forward to it.

Very Happy
snow conditions
Cubby, OK, on your chalet night off, go to the restaurant by the bridge in the old village (Restaurant Petit Pont), excellent food.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

(Restaurant Petit Pont), excellent food.

Would definitely second that [though sadly have not been for a while Sad . The portions are superbly huge - what's not to like about potato pie...
There's another tiny place along from there on the old road through old Villneuve that we never manage to get into, but everyone raves about. One day... one day...

Serre Che is great. I love the trees and the people. And the snow and the drive up over the Lauteret, and the views to Pelvoux and...ok. It is great.
snow conditions
Lots of interesting things to do and a few good restos' slopeside. You'll want to get away from mad-packed pistes which is easily done but they ARE mad IMV.
The whole valley is worth a visit so best with a car, AFAICS.

The traditional parts of the villages seem to have the best ambience when just off the slopes..
latest report
MarjMJ, we've never managed to get in there either.
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
MarjMJ, we've never managed to get in there either.
Shocked Shocked Shocked
I would have thought you being out there
Well..To be honest we ususally end up in Le Bez or in the P&V so never manage to stagger to Old Villeneuve.
snow conditions
MarjMJ, not into that restaurant,as it has always been full and we never managed to go and make a reservation, but we have eaten in Villeneuve often.Mainly in the summer now as we tend to go out cycling and end up there for lunch.
snow conditions
Quote:

tend to go out cycling and end up there for lunch.

Making me more jealous! Must be nice by the river...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy