Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zoom flights 'grounded over fees'

Poster: A snowHead
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7586083.stm
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oophs my daughter is/was flying to Toronto with them on the 19th Sept
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm kind of a vicious circle now does anyone book with them so where does future cashflo come from? Don't know if Canada has similar to US Chapter 11 laws that allow them to continue for years while bankrupt.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
See their website. They won't be flying anywhere anymore. If you were booked with them for this winter its time to look elsewhere.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob, bummer. Still, better than them getting her there and then not being able to bring her back. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just rebooking on transat the web site is on the point of collapse and the fare has gone up £100 from this afternoon.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zoom
Just one look and then my heart went boom,
suddenly and we were on the moon,
flyin' high in a neon sky ohh ohh

Bang
Just one touch and all the church bells rang,
heaven called and all the angels sang,
sunrise shine in the midnight sky ohh ohh

OH Zoom you chased the day awayyy,
high noon, the moon and stars came out to play,
then, my whole wide world went zoom
(High as a rainbow as we went flyin' by,
faster and faster we were higher than high,
for once in my lifetime i was finally free,
and you gave that to me)

moonbeams dancin' in the afternoon,
shadows blowin' as the roses bloom,
lookin down on a wonderland,
Smack just one kiss and i was outta whack,
all at once there was no turnin back,
all so far above the brighter star ohh ohh
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zoom have now cancelled ALL operations: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/aug/28/zoom.low.cost.airline

This would appear to be the end for Zoom. Sorry for anyone who's booked on them for the winter season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"did you get it on your credit card?"
"no chance it was £7 extra" Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob, very bad luck. I tend not to pay that extra either, but maybe it's worth thinking about.... I take it that though daughter is flying, dad is paying?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, its a sort of long term sponsorship deal, to be fair she did pay for the first ticket.
Took 20 mins to sort out and at the end of the day its only money.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sad for all those who have lost flights, and also for the 600 who have lost their jobs Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sage, yes I have flown zoom quite a few times and the staff were always super pleasant, I do feel sorry for them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've flown Zoom loads and it's a shame. Kicks my winter plans into touch this year-back to the drawing board I guess.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wonder if this is just the start of a spate of similar collapses? There could be more of us looking for alternatives, before the winter is out.
snow report
jbob wrote:
"did you get it on your credit card?"
"no chance it was £7 extra" Crying or Very sad

I'm not quite sure about the actual difference in cover between paying with a credit card as opposed to a debit card. I know that the credit card regulations protect you in the event of the company ceasing trading, and people are warned that these regs don't apply to debit cards, but I think I read in one of the papers that in practice the debit card operators will also give you the same protection - anyone care to comment? (not that it affects me fortunately).

Bummer about Zoom Sad - I've flown with them to Eastern and Western Canada previously and thought they provided a good value service.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, I work for the Clydesdale who operate Maestro cards-you'd be doing well to get anything back.
ski holidays
Booked a package with Inghams to Banff for next Jan for 2 weeks. A couple of weeks ago I got a letter saying our flights had been transfered from Monarch to Zoom from Manchester, as Monarch were no longer covering the route. Hope they sort this out soon Sad (fortunately I have only paid the deposit). Inghams will have to find an alternative carrier hopefully.
snow conditions
arv wrote:
Alastair Pink, I work for the Clydesdale who operate Maestro cards-you'd be doing well to get anything back.

I think the reference I read about was to Visa debit cards - anyone work for them? Toofy Grin
latest report
Alastair Pink, No but my daughter used a visa debit card so fingers crossed.
snow report
A quote from BBC working lunch web site-

"Visa versus Mastercard

With regard to the holiday, whether you are covered or not depends on the type of debit card you use.

For visa debit cards (including electron and delta), which Mr Morrisey held, the user is covered under the cards 'goods not received' provision.

In a statement Barclaycard said:

"This transaction falls under the umbrella of a cardholder and merchant dispute as 'goods not received.' We are sending out a disclaimer to the customer to complete. Once signed and returned, Debit Card Services will refund the customer and 'chargeback' the merchant's bankers." "

It seems that Visa debit cards might have some "chargeback" facility.
snow conditions
jbob, According to this BBC item it looks like with a Visa debit card you are OK, although the Bank might need informing about the "Visa Chargeback" provisions! Madeye-Smiley

Edit - you posted just before me! Toofy Grin

arv, Looks like it's Visa 1, Maestro 0 wink
snow conditions
FiveLive radio - Zoom informed all passengers to refer their booking to their credit card company with whom they booked their flights
ski holidays
Rookiemark, your contract is with Inghams, so it's up to them to sort out something. One of the advantages of travelling with a bonded TO rather than going DIY!
latest report
Rookiemark, I've booked with Inghams to Banff too. Just contacted them to see what's going to happen. Probably too early for them to know yet but if I hear anything I will post on here.
snow report
Rookiemark, it seems I underestimated Inghams...they have replied with this:-

"all clients will be reprotected onto to alternative suitable same day flights in approximately 15
days time. We will contact you again after the 10th of September."

Which is nice.

Very Happy
latest report
pam w, smudger, Thanks guys, good news and saved me a phone call Very Happy
snow conditions
Intresting we where going to book with either Zoom or Globespan for this winter but because we where booking so far in advance opted for Air Canada dut to rising fule prices and no backing for these airlines I am now very greatfull.

But I do feel sorry as we have lost an alternative way to get to N.America/Canada from an Airline that delivered value for money great service and didnt rape the customer for the privilage!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ordhan wrote:
........Airline that delivered value for money great service and didnt rape the customer for the privilage!

And went bust accordingly. If you wish a company to survive, you heave to expect for it to charge enough to keep going. Zoom didn't.
latest report
achilles wrote:
Ordhan wrote:
........Airline that delivered value for money great service and didnt rape the customer for the privilage!

And went bust accordingly. If you wish a company to survive, you heave to expect for it to charge enough to keep going. Zoom didn't.

Not sure that this is quite fair - if all airlines had to operate under the normal conventions of business lots of national flag carriers and almost all US carriers would be out of the skies and those people who choose to live or visit further from major international hubs would have even more to moan about. I think Zoom's downfall (along with the biz class only operators) was that they weren't of critical mass/diversified enough to sustain themselves through a downturn. I think they leased a number of planes quite cheaply post 9/11 so that may have falsely subsidised their business model too. I'd expect a few more marginal Euro operators to tank it too, though the heavyweights such as Easyjet and ryanair would probably be ok.
snow report
Ordhan wrote:
Airline that delivered value for money great service and didnt rape the customer for the privilage!*

*until it went bust leaving 1000s of people stranded and/or out of pocket

fixed it for you wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Intresting we where going to book with either Zoom or Globespan for this winter but because we where booking so far in advance opted for Air Canada dut to rising fule prices and no backing for these airlines I am now very greatfull.

And I did just the opposite Crying or Very sad

I'm now in the course of claiming to be refunded by my credit card provider and offering up prayers of thanks to the Consumer Credit Act.
snow conditions
Acacia, Sad
snow conditions
http://www.flyzoom.com/ The latest.

Rookiemark, I also have a January flight and accomms package booked through Inghams, via Monarch and then Zoom.

I have spoken to Inghams this afternoon and they informed me that all is covered and not to worry.
All customers will be sent an update letter from Inghams on September 11th 2008.
snow report
mark handford, Full marks to them thinking of the customer in spite of their troubles.
ski holidays
Quote:

All customers will be sent an update letter from Inghams on September 11th 2008.

Oh scary day to be getting flight details
snow report
Quote:

Oh scary day to be getting flight details

?????!!!!! I'm sure that if you look hard enough there will have been a terrible event somewhere in the world on any given date which could put you off your cornflakes or make you cancel your trip !!

Get a grip man!!
latest report
Rookiemark, smudger, I had only on Wednesday this week booked with Inghams to go to Fernie in February. Had the choice of either Gatwick or Manchester flights which are both about the same distance either way for me so it doesn't matter, but went for the Manchester flights because the times were better! Inghams have got posted on their website that alternative flights will be sourced and no customers will suffer financial loss from the collapse of Zoom.

I hope that means though that although we won't lose money and they'll take the hit as it were, they won't want any more extra money off me to change the airline? Probably not perhaps. Like pam w says that's when it's handy to have booked with a tour operator instead of DIY. Here's hoping they get some alternative flights from Manchester with good times, the last ones were just right, no early morning starts out both sides. 1300 MAN 1500 YYC/ 1645 YYC 0805 MAN. Cool
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Yeah booking with a TO does have its benefits in cases like this, and i'm with you on the flight times. We cant get that lucky and get great times with the alternative carrier can we? Here's hoping. rolling eyes Very Happy
snow conditions
Has anyone got any idea what's going on with those who have booked through Inghams?

They originally said that they'd let us know who we were flying with after the 10th and then after the 17th...anyone got any idea what's going on? With all these companies going bust I'm getting slightly worried now!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy