Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Skis

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to buy new skis this season and I like the sound of the K2 Crossfire. The last couple of years I've been skiing on short radius Fishers and Salomons 12mtrs. I have decided I need a easy Ski compared to the race skis I've been on. I ski about 90% on piste, only skiing off piste down the side of runs and the odd shortcut, but as normal I'm looking to do more. Anyone got an ideas about the crossfires or what other makes to look at?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skid & slide, what is your height and weight and how many weeks skiing have you done.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weight 83 kilos 13 stone Height 183 cm 6' 1'' skied for 40 weeks
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i skied the crossfires a couple of weeks and then moved to Recons. I am a bit bigger than you but i really preferred the recons and they were as good if not better on piste to the crossfires.

others to think about with your ability...

head supershape magnums
volkl ac30's
Dynastar Contact 11 (ltd’s)
Elan Speedwave
Head iM78
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, What I'm after is a nice cruiser that can go when pushed I'm feed up with having to be on top of them all the time.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 27-08-08 11:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skid & slide, Second vote for the speedwave and the Salomon Aeros
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ordhan, skimottaret, Thanks for the Ideas I will look into them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skid & slide, okay gotcha, i would scrub the volkls and the supershapes . Seasonaire friends of mine rave over movement sparks, (or perhaps the flames for more on piste) as a light easy to ski ski but holds an edge when pressed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Am watching this thread with interest. I am very similar weight, height and experience as skid&slide, have narrowed my choice down to Crossfire and Aero, but only having read write ups, not tested either yet. However I'm coming the other way, looking for a more piste orientated ski to replace (or complement?) my Karma's. Ones that fit in the ski carriers on the gondolas ... ha ha
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
p.s. skid & slide, what size crossfire were you thinking about ?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
masmith, i have karmas and hate em on piste... how bout atomic nomad blackeyes in the mix as well
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm 5'10" and 82kg
I have the 167 crossfires from 2 seasons ago.
Really like them. They hold an edge on all surfaces, seem solid as... on icy patches as well.

Done a little down the side of the piste, and crossing from piste to piste with them.
Handled last seasons howling conditions really well, ice at the top and slush at the bottom of the resort. (Soll)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, ta - thought all the Nomads were semi-fat all rounders, really looking for a true piste ski as, like skid&slide, I'm now spending 90% ish time on the hard pack
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith, the blackeyes are the roughly the same width as recons 121/79/107 178 R17@171

I really liked the crossfires but i found the recons had more energy in them when you wanted it but turned just as well on piste even with the extra width. I am a bit fatter than you guys at 97kg and perhaps they just suited my build a bit better. My mate who is a very good skier but perhaps 70kgs loved em. i had about 2 weeks on xfires and 7 on recons but it was two years ago and the skis may have changed a bit. The xfires were pretty good in the side of piste stuff.

K2 makes nice skis but the binding attachements were sH*t on the 07/08 version so make sure you get 08/09 which has been modified as the older one was defective IMO.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, thanks lardy !

skid & slide, sorry to have hi-jacked your thread Embarassed
snow report
masmith, S&R Have a pair size 181cm bit big I think that's what got me thinking.
kermit, must have been the same off piste I go to Soll every year
snow report
skid & slide, the sales guy in S&R sheffield told me that K2 skis are measured differently to most skis, i.e. the 181 or 174 is the surface length, not tip to tail. Therefore I was thinking 174 as ideally I'd be looking for 177/178 ish. I saw S&R had the 181 but decided to look elsewhere for 174 (or alternative). Still looking, hopeful of a bargain, but may rent a pair in Meribel on first trip of next season first, depending on conditions (that is the condition of the snow and the condition of my head, as it's a boy trip !)
snow report
skimottaret, What was wrong with the Bindings?
ski holidays
skid & slide, The rail system has/had a lot of plastic in it, in the place where the ski connects to the binding ( the actual rail )... when we pulled one apart it looked not up to the job..which is why we looked in the first instance. We were able to get in to connect and sit properly after a lot of faffing around after dinner.

masmith, They are.. a simple measure against most skis tell that 174 is a big 174.
ski holidays
skid & slide, If everyone is chipping in I'll do so as well
I'm 6'1" and even bigger than skimottaret
I have a pair of Rossi Zenith Z5's and they do lazy skiing very well but if you put a bit of effort in they do that well as well.
I have 176's with a 74mm waist and 16m radius. snowHead
snow report
skid & slide wrote:
skimottaret, What was wrong with the Bindings?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=679938&highlight=recon+binding#679938

i saw some new ones in EB last week and the rails are wider apart and seem a bit sturdier but mine fell to bits (twice) and Freeride in Meribel had two bindings snap off. Interestingly iwas in meribel a couple weeks ago and they rent out a special version of recons without the integral bindings and mounted marker Dukes to them. nice set up and on sale at www.freeride.fr for 500 Euro....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy