Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne/Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Still undecided where to go in February as we want a change from the Dolomites. We already have New Year sorted in Valle d' Aosta.

Whilst browsing through brochures and t'internet, came across La Plagne. It looks as if there are different villages that make up La Plagne (which one is the best to stay in?).

Any advice would be appreciated - what's it like in terms of terrain (one intermediate and one expert), snow sure (for beginning of February), costs, accommodation (not self catering, prefer half board hotel or catered chalet) - everything really.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 24-08-08 18:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
are you talking first week in February? That should be good, before the holiday rush. I don't know the resort well, only been there one week, some years ago, and we stayed in a last minute bargain chalet in Plagne 1800, which is a bit of a pain to get in and out of. I liked the look of Belle Plagne - buildings less unattractive than some areas, skiing right outside, and high so should be snowsure. Plagne Bellecote looks like it's been transplanted from a rough banlieu of Paris. The lower villages probably have more characte (Montchavin etc) but obviously not so snow sure - and if the snow is good you can always ski down to them for lunches (we couldn't, the week we were there).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If i was to stay on that side of the area i would probably choose Plagne Bellecote, personally, i would stay over in one of the Les Arcs resorts or even Vallandry, which is right next to the vanoise express which links la Plagne and les Arcs.Terrain is not a problem, its endless and varied. Don't think you should be too worried about snow in February!! There are plenty of good chalets in the area
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, not sure about hotels, as it has lots of chalets and self-catering accommodation, particularly in 1800 and Belle Plagne. The best hotel (IMO) was the Eldorador, but this is apparently now an awful mercure or something similar. I think there is also now the Balcons de Belle Plagne hotel. Aime la Plagne (2100) has a Club Med, but is ugly, as is Plagne Centre and Plagne Bellcote (this is nearly all shoebox apartments). Catered chalets are probably your best bet. Terrain is good for all, but we found it a bit boring last time we visited, we weren't quite up to off=piste, and snow conditions meant that the steeper stuff wasn't open (it was New Year though). We stayed in a nice hotel in Champagny-en-Vanoise (Ancolie) and had a days skiing in Courchevel.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, not sure if you've been to one of the high altitiude 1970's french resorts before jb, but your use of the word 'villages' worries me... A better word would be 'ghettos' or maybe 'gulags'.

Having said that, it sure would be a 'change from the dolomites' - in the same way that Diamond White is a change from Mersault.

as for advice, one word.... Don't
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jb1970, I stayed in a catered chalet apartment in the Balcons de Belle Plagne - very convenient, walk out the ski room door onto piste.

Agree that Aime, Centre & Bellecote are on a par with Slough or Cumbernauld! There's a lot of nice skiing though, just pick your "village" carefully and don't visit in French School Hols.

This is one of the places I strayed to before returning to the Dolomites! The purpose built French resorts are great if you just value convenience and long vertical but are willing to sacrifice charm and character.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am also looking at Les Arcs which is linked to La Plagne. Is Les Arcs much the same and how suitable is it for one intermediate (blues and easyish reds!) and one expert?

Merci!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jb1970, Les Arcs is similar to La Plagne in that it is a large ski area with a huge variety of runs mostly above the treeline, long verticals, a variety of "villages" from 60's/70's concrete monstrosities to original settlements like Peisey and the swish new Arc 1950.

I think you could enjoy a holiday in either if you found nice accommodation. Enjoy the convenience and the skiing and don't miss the Dolomite charm too much.

I seem to remember from a previous thread that you had time booked for 2nd week Feb (same as me) which is the first week of French School Hols, may be a factor in deciding your destination.

Don't forget that French piste classification starts with Green (easy), so the blues and reds tend to be a little steeper than in Italy, but I'm sure would cope. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a great time skiing Les Arcs living in Bourg St. Maurice last season. Like others have said, plenty of terrain for both intermediates and experts and it is really nice to be able to ski 2 K vertical (or close to it depending on snow conditions).

Although slopeside is always more convenient, Bourg is a real town, easier to get to with relatively easy access to the resort via the Funicular and some accomodation options that might be more affordable. Store/rent skis/boots at Polairstar, shop at base of funicular, if you choose this option.

If you don't liked the feel of the 1970s purpose built villages, you could try staying in Arc 1950. It was build a few years ago and is very nice with a Disneyesque feel to it. Probably not cheap that time of year. Peisey/Vallandry also seems to have more charm than some of the other Villages and gives easier access of to La Plagne (as does Montchavin, previously mentioned).

While many would legitimately tell you to avoid the French school holidays, I actually thought the powder got skied off fastest the first week after the holidays with fewer families and more serious skiers on the Mountain.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy