Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP: trying to organise a holiday at St. Anton or Lech

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Hoping to book a reasonably priced holiday for early March in either St. Anton or Lech. I have had a look around at properties but everything seems extortionate. I have found really cheap flights but was hoping someone could recommend a good place to stay for a reasonable price. Good location, self-catering will probably be best, for four adults. Any ideas folks?

Also, anyone skiied there early March? Assuming it usually offers good snow then?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shenryo, the snow should be fine - St Anton is normally great well into April. I would recommend booking a package as it will most likely be less expensive to St Anton. There are some great catered chalets. Check out a website not too far from here ....... wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shenryo, I've just booked myself the Hotel Gotthard in Lech for a week in mid march and that was reasonable 100€ for a single room with balcony B&B. It looks a nice gaff with spa and gym, and comes up well on trip advisor. Transfer is easy via the Arlberg express for 75€ return.

Not much S/C in those resorts I think...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try the filomena apartments.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I booked a 4 bedroom apartment thru the Snowco last year. Paid for a week, used for 4 nights, came out at £40 a night per person (8 of us). Try this

http://www.interhome.co.uk/?campid=B708PNEWUK&psid=Y&partnerid=GB353077&gclid=CN-quPK9q5UCFRdinAodgiy2jg

We stayed[url] http://www.interhome.co.uk/Holiday+apartment/Austria/Tyrol/St+Anton+am+Arlberg/AT6580.200.1/EN-GB/AvailablityPrices.aspx?dtCheckIn=2009-01-24&duration=7[/url]

Currently available 7, 14 and 21 March. £1210 a week. It's a nice big 4 bedroom (8 beds) with 2 bathrooms. Be warned it is a bit of a hike up the hill woth skis, best to rent a locker at lifts and leave your kit there.

Otherwise can't fault.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just looked at Filomena prices, Ouch! But Lech seems dearer than St Anton generally. Personally I want to stay in the Goldener Berg
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ghost Dog, over the years I have looked several times at the possibility of a holiday in Lech, but always gave up - far too expensive!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Same here. Tried to price it up for Feb 09, but everything I could find broke the budget by about 2x.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
they keep out the riff-raff that way. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apparently so!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Red 27, can't recommend Hotel Gotthard highly enough. We went there in the summer 2006 and it was a great hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful, good food and lots of choice.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Doss, thanks - good to hear!

Surely 100€ B&B a night in mid March is not so bad? Factor in cheap-ish flights to Zurich (from LDN anyway) and an Arlberg express bus transfer and Lech is costing no more than anywhere else I've been
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shenryo, I have found the Interhome voucher for the apartment I rented last year, it has contact details for the owner, might be a bit cheaper if you contacted her direct. PM me if you want details.

I asked the Goldener Berg for a quote for a family room for 6 nights just before Easter, on the basis of their web site which quoted about 2400 euros, quote came back at 5700euros, they are having a laff!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, I presume your normal holiday means a private jet to Eagle County airport en route to Vail. Your Lech holiday seems a steal.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Time of year fine. Have skied St Anton 4 times in March in last 6 years and there has been great conditions. Sometimes sun can make a bit slushy lower down but last couple of years it snowed constantly. Some of the boys in March got steal of the century staying at brand new place Pepis Ski Hotel which has probably one of THE best locations, notwithstanding 1st class accom. - all for EUR75 per night. The hotel was only completed in Nov 07 so I think prices are now higher but would highly recommend http://www.pepis-skihotel.com/

Official St Anton and Lech websites are great for sourcing rooms. I stayed at Talhoff Nigg for around EUR50 per night B&B a few years ago. Right at start of pedestrian zone. If checking the website for rooms, try to stay in Dorf (centre) or Oberdorf (slightly up from centre going towards Mooserwirt). Nasserein is cheaper but not quite as convenient as Dorf/Oberdorf. Stayed in Oberlec the last 2 years too, but in general Lech/Oberlech is more expensive. Try to find a B&B called Olympia as this is right beside Oberlech cable car as this is pretty cheap for Lech standards. Personally if I was going with the guys, I wuld definitely stay in St Anton, but if you prefer the finer aspects of life, then Lech is ideal. Both places are just the biz.

Check out this website too. English dude that stays there and has some excellent tips on accomodation. http://www.st-antonamarlberg.eu/where_to_stay.html

Good luck

Bob
snow report
Try Oberlech then. We've stayed in the Hotel Salome - excellent food, very comfortable and not as pricey as some of the hotels in Lech.
latest report
achilles, it's 700€ for a week in Lech that's only well, £700, Am I so profligate? Blush

I might try a real cheapy - Ryanair to Freidrichstafen (no pressure...) and then walk to Engelburg - total cost £9.99 (9.98€)
latest report
red 27, that's just for bed and breakfast, not for a week in Lech! Many of us would probably reckon to get a week's skiing, including lift pass, for considerably less than that.
latest report
pam w, Ah but I walk up to the top then ski down, no pass needed and after a hearty breakfast I just graze -Ray Mears style - on whatever ski-kill I find around me; an ex-marmotte perhaps or an injured member of the Danish Royal Family...
snow conditions
thanks for all of your help everyone
made my mind up to stay in St. Anton now - the beginner in our group will just have to improve faster Wink plus, we can bus to Lech as well Smile
snow report
Stayed here http://www.ski-arlberg.com/eschweiger/ a couple of years ago. We have the ground floor flat with 6 people and it was great with good size rooms, clean etc. Pure self/catering but that was ok, just need to time your trip to the supermarket when the ski busses were running. It's about a 2 minute walk on the flat to ski/ski out and it's easily accessable off the 'home run' that goes down to the moose.
snow conditions
boabski, shenryo, I can vouch for Talhoff Nigg. Perfect location for a boys trip and very comfortable, friendly and reasonable (€) too. Don't rule out Nasserein area though. Skiing wise the Nasserein gondola gives you a great start with potentially less early morning rush hour than downtown St A and drinking wise it's a 10 minute walk which can prove useful from a head clearing perspective. Assuming you can still walk that is!
ski holidays
is that all it is, 10 minutes away? up-hill, down-hill? i was under the impression it was miles away
snow conditions
I usually stay at Haus DrMur b&b in Zurs, 20 paces from the lift ! http://www.bergdoktor.at/flash/index.
Its clean, friendly & great value & you even get an apres ski snack. Zurs may be too quiet for some but is very classy. The wine included buffet meal at Robinsons select is fabulous & well worth €50 if you stuff yourself & drink 3 bottles of rather good wine.
latest report
shenryo, 10 minutes sober! It's pretty much on the same level as St A. It depends where you stay in Nasserein as it is quite a spread out area, some of which may well be 20 minutes walk away. There's a good interactive map on the website www.stantonamarlberg.com
Also, the ski bus service is pretty good with several stops in the area meaning you don't have to walk too far.

As I said earlier I have stayed in the centre of town and also in Nasserein. Both have their pluses and minuses but neither is a dramatic inconvenience, either for skiing or partying.

I guess if you're a group of 4 adults and you plan to take advantage of the facilities at the Kanguruh or the Moooserwirt then St A will be more convenient as far as getting home to take your boots off afterwards goes!
ski holidays
Re taking your boots off, rent a locker, it's worth it!
ski holidays
Rather than starting a new thread, I'm going to St Anton next season and I know the Arlberg ski pass covers Lech, Zurs, St Anton and St Christoph. My question is:-

How long does it take to bus it to Lech from St Anton? (assuming there is a bus-I'd have thought so)
Is the bus included on the Arlberg ski pass?
Is it a reasonably short ski from St Anton to Lech like it is to ski from Courchevel 1850 to Meribel say as an example? Or less than that?
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, more knowledgeable people might add to this but to answer your last question first, you can't ski from St Anton to Lech on piste (there is a off piste route but I understand from threads on here that it's v.serious), there is a bus but it's a post bus and you have to pay for it, I believe that if you get to St Cristoph or Stuben there is a free bus that will take you to Zurs / Lech. When we went we had our own mini bus so I can't help you with times but would guess at around 20-30 minutes to Zurs from where you can enter the Lech / Zurs network. Altough you can only ski clockwise around it all the way. Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, as stevew says there is a Post bus but I have always gone on the free ski bus which is included in your pass. You catch it from near Stuben, the bottom of piste 17 IIRC which is a straight forward ski from St A, From here its about 20 mins to Lech via Zurs.

It can be a bit of a mad crush to get on the bus when it's busy but it is a very prompt and efficient service, runs every 30-40mins or so I think.

The alternative is mini bus taxis which run from the same place. These take 8 peoplpe and if there's a group of you it works out at €2-3 euros each. Or, dive in with another smaller group to fill a taxi. There's nearly always 2-3 taxis waiting, so even if there's no bus you can always get to Lech. FWIW it is definitely worth making the trip to Lech at least once; heated chair lifts, quiet pistes, lots of Bognor skiwear and even the snow texture is different!
latest report
stevew, Ski Tyke, thanks for the info. In the meantime and before I saw your replies I found out the answers to the questions I was asking from a Mad Dog Ski Guide book which said that St Anton is 25km from Lech so it was a lot farther than I thought (thought it was just over the other side of the valley or something) like with my example of Courchevel and Meribel.

They said you can either catch the Post Bus like you say direct from St Anton to Lech for 3.60 Euro each way and that journey will take about 35 minutes, or you can ski from St Anton down blue piste 17 called Valfagehr as Ski Tyke said to Alpe Rauz, and then catch the free ski bus included in the pass to Lech via Zurs. They said that you'd have to catch a Post Bus back to St Anton though (or get a taxi say) one way or another because Lech's local bus will only take you as far as Alpe Rauz. The last Post Bus to St Anton goes at 5pm from Lech, or if you have been skiing in Lech and end up back at Alpe Hauz, then you can catch the Post Bus back to St Anton from there and costs 2.60 Euro one way and takes about 15 minutes.

Good those guides eh and they are only £8 each. Thanks for your help guys. Can't wait to go in January, I will be going over to Lech for at one day because I've heard on a good snow day it's the place to go because St Anton gets tracked out much more quickly than Lech does. Very Happy
snow report
shenryo, these guys... www.valleyofdreams.at have well-priced apartments near to the Rendl uplift.
snow report
I've just booked at Hubertushof Hotel in Stuben - 4 stars and only costing EUR 2680 for a week for 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) inc 2 adult lift passes 1st week in March. Having looked at various options around the place I consider this to be an excellent deal. OK Stuben on the face of it is a bit isolated but only 10 mins to Lech and 10 mins to St Anton, plus the runs into Stuben are excellent, and you're at one end of the St Anton circuit.
latest report
I have no idea whether it meets your needs but Hotel Schindler is comfortable and convenient for the lifts and downtown StA. Very good brekkie and good restaurant for dinner.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, the guide is right up to a point. You can get the ski bus back to Alpe Rauz and ski back to St A. But if you want to get the maximum time at Lech, then I concede it's the Post Bus or a taxi.

Enjoy your trip, you are going to a very cool place!!!
ski holidays
shenryo wrote:
Hi,

Hoping to book a reasonably priced holiday for early March in either St. Anton or Lech. I have had a look around at properties but everything seems extortionate. I have found really cheap flights but was hoping someone could recommend a good place to stay for a reasonable price. Good location, self-catering will probably be best, for four adults. Any ideas folks?

Also, anyone skiied there early March? Assuming it usually offers good snow then?

i stayed there last year. it is a little bit away from cable car station. but the host has ski locker in the station and just away from 10 mins walk.

http://www.arlberg.com/haus-antonia/
latest report
does anyone know on which days EasyJet fly from Manchester to Inssbruck? there seems to be a problem with their site here. Also, Ryanair to Friedrichschafen from Liverpool? any ideas on what days they fly? once again, there seems to a problem with their site

Also, does anyone know which airline fly from Newcastle to Inssbruck on a saturday? i noticed this option on Ingham website
ski holidays
Easyjet took over the GB air (BA) route MAN-INN & was listing flying on Sundays for about £120 but seems to have been pulled. Ryan flew LPL-FDH on Saturdays but is not listing. Thompsons-fly charter from NCL-INN some seat are sold off by toour operators. I was looking for similar & Zurich flights was looking more available - some fair deals on Swiss Air some dates with benefits of no extras for baggage and skis. Transfer is a bit longer but not too bad.
ski holidays
First Choice Airlines do it from Newcastle, but you need to book thourgh Inghams - good flight times, ie early out late back
snow report
just google apartments in st anton - (don't bother with lech or zurs - there are not many shops and pubs - you'd be fed up and wishing you'd stayed in st anton)
there are couple of sites one is homelets or something like that and another one - you can see photos of the apartments and rent direct of private landlord.

failing that try www.just-going.com - this woman is one man band. I don't know how she finds places so cheap but she does and even can price up a hol same as the main package holiday companies for much cheaper - even same hotels/apartments. have had several hols sorted by fiona now and saved so much money - worth a try isn't it.

have a brill sliding time
ski holidays
Do not agree on "not many pubs and shops" in Lech, but perhaps true of Zurs. What sort of shops / pubs were you seeking in Lech that you did not find? Plenty of both.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy