Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 2-better to do in a resort you know or doesn't it matter?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

Sometime next season or at the end of next season I'm planning on doing my BASI Level 2, depending on how I improve over December, January and February really.

January is out completely, can't do the ICE Val D'Isere course beginning of Feb because it clashes with a pre booked trip, so that leaves me all of March and early April to choose from, or I can leave it until next July and do it at Hintertux. Zermatt end April is no good because that will probably clash with the EoSB and I'd like to go to that this year. Very Happy

In March I have Courchevel, Morzine, Meribel, Mayrhofen and Soldeu to choose from. Meribel and Courchevel I know really well as I've been to those lots, but I was going to choose Mayrhofen simply because I'd not been there before and fancied a change.

My question is, do you think it is better to do the course in a resort you know well or does it not matter either way?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shouldnt make a diffrence snow is the same every where in Europe not like its a diffrence between NAmerica and Europe. Mayrhofen wouldnt be a bad resort to do it in good compact resort with decent terrain and a compact village, Best of luck with it
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ordhan, thanks very much. I wasn't really thinking about the snow being different from place to place I must admit! Laughing wink I was thinking more so I'd be used to the pistes and the terrain in 3V but then again even that can change from year to year anyway depending on snowfall and the conditions.

I like the idea of doing it in Mayrhofen I must admit, I can get good value accomodation there and like I say I've not been before and fancy it. I'm trying to go to Austria as much as possible next season instead of France again-I've done France to death this year. Hintertux is another likely option in the summer so I have all winter to practice then, plus have got some specific training sorted this winter to guide me along.

Will be nice to have a good size room in Austria though instead of my last French offering in Val D'Isere rolling eyes wink .

Cheers Ordhan.

Has anyone else got any thoughts? Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
VolklAttivaS5, doesnt matter much.. lots of your time will be doing central theme and on piste performance. only a bit will be off piste and the scores you need not too onerous so no IMO it doesnt matter where you take it. If you know courchevel and are comfortable skiing the grand coulior or the sides of swiss you will be fine off piste...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, ok thanks.

BASI have got an offer on with Crystal of 15% discount for the March weeks wherever the resort. It's probably worth having but irritatingly the discount code of "BASI" doesn't work in Crystal's online booking system, despite it saying on the BASI website to use that code online as well as by phone. Evil or Very Mad

I'm not booking anything just yet but want to price up the accomodation for a couple of options. Crystal are always a pain when it comes to getting a price for single occupancy online as well for some reason, they always say the holiday is not available most of the time.

Wish the offer was through Inghams. Their website is loads better and gives you a price whatever the number of travellers online without having to phone up. rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5, if you join ski club of gb you get a discount as well..
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, I'm already SCGB member. Can you get a discount through Crystal as well as the BASI offer? I know they have an Inghams discount, think it's 10% isn't it?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, I'd go somewhere different... variety is the spice of life wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't think it makes a difference one way or another for L2. Go for the cheapest option is my advice Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No difference at all.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5, i got 10% on the courses i booked plus some more discount for paying in advance....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5, You can't really consider yourself a BASI instructor unless you've passed a course (not just CT) in Scotland...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski, but only if the rain falls horizontally and you're on heather more than you're on snow Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, If you do Mayrhofen, you'll probably get P S-G taking the course. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, i got 10% on the courses i booked plus some more discount for paying in advance....

Was that 10% the SCGB discount? Which tour op did you book it through? The BASI offer is 15% through Crystal Ski but usually the SCGB have a 5% discount through Crystal as well. I don't expect you can combine both discounts though and get 20% off. I think it says only one discount to be applied per booking on the SCGB website.

Spyderman oh right. Do Trainers have their own "patches" where they work mostly then?

Another option is Soldeu but would much prefer Austria to Andorra although haven't been there either. I will price up Hintertux for next July (don't know dates yet as not on website) and Soldeu anyway. Have priced up Mayrhofen already staying at Sporthotel Strass. £1365 with the discount for 2 weeks including flights, transfers, half board and single supplements. Not bad actually for 2 weeks. Very Happy
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
My question is, do you think it is better to do the course in a resort you know well or does it not matter either way?

1 less thing to worry about if you choose one you know Very Happy
snow report
david@mediacopy, true. I fancy a change though. I'm going to Meribel early Jan not sure if I want to go there again in March as well.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, i got 10% for being a scgb member plus another £20 off for paying in advance. i booked direct through basi
snow report
By the way, has anybody done their Level 2 in Hintertux before? Excluding rob@rar I know you didn't. Very Happy

BASI has got a special discounted rate at the moment for their September coaching courses (presumably this applies in the summer as well) for the Hotel Hintertuxerhof. I was thinking that place Rindererhof would be a good one to look at as it's right next to the lifts. Blimey these Hintertux hotel names are a mouthful aren't they! Laughing
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, I know several people that have done it in Tux mainly on the summer course that starts about the 20something of July. It was an option that I was considering for next year. Conditions can be pretty variable at that time of year and you don't get too much in the way of powder or moguls but you can just never tell. I am told that its not the "easy" option.
As I am away in Feb in Fernie it would be at least March or later before I could do L2 due to getting time off work etc, as well as money. Let me know what you decide to do as if it is good time and money wise I may be willing to share/go with you-if you could put up with me for two weeks!
latest report
Kitty, more like the other way round! wink Shocked Laughing

That's an idea worth considering, it would be nice to have some company. I'll let you know what happens so we can touch base in Feb time and see what's what.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy