Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best time to go to North America

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We normally go to France in March and were thinking of a change next year. My opinion of the season in Europe is:
    January can be cold with poor visibility, you might get fresh snow, the snow level is increasing but you're not guaranteed to have loads
    February is not worth considering unless you have kids and can only go then due to everything being more expensive and slopes more crowded
    March usually has good snow, weather is warmer, chance of sunshine but lower slopes may be suffering
    April is a bit more risky, best to choose the highest resorts or those with a glacier

You might disagree with my logic, but you can see why I prefer March. But if we go to america or canada next year how does the season work over there, would one of the other months work just as well? Also does this depend on the location of the resorts.

I appreciate your suggestions...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
February may well be a busy time over there (especially around the Presidents Day holiday in the US) but they dont tend to have the school holiday issues of Europe as I dont believe that they get an equivalent to the UK half term holiday (or the European equivalent). What they do get is what they call "Spring Break" which seems to occur in March but on different dates in different areas I think. So I am not sure that your approach would be directly applicable. Bits of February may be preferable to bits of March.

Also it tends to vary in differing areas, over the 7 day week depending on how close you are to major urban centres eg weekends are busy at Mammoth/Tahoe/Whistler because people come up from LA/San Francisco/Vancouver/Seattle. Conversely somewhere like Jackson Hole which is not close to a major town may see less of a differential as they will have destination visitors as opposed to day trippers.

Also, because the holiday entitlement in the US is a lot less than elsewhere they dont tend to take 7 days breaks. I think that I read somewhere that the typical trip is 3/4 days with an effort to get some skiing done if the can on the first and last day. That is why a lot of the ski school stuff is 2/3/4 day options.

Some areas are exceptions. Whistler for example gets a lot of destination visitors from the UK/ FarEast/ Australia/NZ who can be there for 10-14 days or longer plus they get the day trippers at the weekend.

A lot of places begin to wind down in early April due to reduced numbers as opposed to no snow. Other places stay open and you can get great snow and very low crowds

A lot depends on the specific resort, no doubt about that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stay away from President's Week, which is usually around February 21st - all the ski programs run that week and it's just not worth putting up with small children skiing very fast!
Apart from that week, any other time is a good time to come to Squaw! We get a little busier at Easter, and our weekends are busier than mid-week, but the lift lines are usually not much longer than a few minutes wait. Squaw is generally open the first weekend in December, and the season runs into May (gets a bit slushy), but we don't usually get our first major storms until the week between Christmas and New Years! California doesn't get the same sort of snow as Utah and Colorado, but neither does it get the really cold temperatures.

Mammoth has a season similar to Squaw, although they are often open longer because of their higher elevation. They do tend to get slightly busier at weekends because they draw people from both the LA and San Francisco areas.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK thanks guys, that's given me something to think about and good to know about the President's day and spring break. I'll have to do some research to learn what the different resorts and parts of the country are like.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go to Colorado the first two weeks in March.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
choucas wrote:
Go to Colorado the first two weeks in March.

And share your holiday with a mountain full of 17-18 year olds! Shocked wink

Crowd-wise, Feb during the "President's week" (usually 3rd week of Feb) is the worst, followed by all first 2-3 weeks of March. These two "busy periods" actually affects different resorts differently. The "party towns" tend to be more affected by the March crowd, while the high-end & close to city resorts are mega-affected by the mid-Feb crowd.

Price-wise, mid-Feb to end-of-March is consider high season, price accordingly. Late March and early April has dirt cheap prices, long daylight and warm sunshine in most western resorts. Snow coverage is still very good in most resorts above 7000 (that includes most of western resorts). Or, if you get lucky (or unlucky), you might get dumped on with freshies (suffer a bit of poor visibility).

Canada has a different holiday schedule. Whistler is affected by the US holiday, the rest of Canada does not. Better beware of Canadian holidays though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I try to always go in November. Very Happy No crowds, cheap lift tickets, hotels.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also try to avoid Martin Luther King day (MLK day) in the US resorts. This is another public holiday, so more crowds, and also they make the lift tickets more expensive for that weekend. It is January 19th 2009.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zebedee,

January can be So cold you think you are in a freezer having Ice shoved somwhere uncomfortable but you will have the place to yourself

FebruaryCan be just as bad in some resorts with temps hitting -40

March Is the best time to hit N.America and Canadian resorts. Wouldnt worry about spring break to much most of them head to warmer climes (Mexico) Plus if you avoid the obvious Tahoe/whistler etc you wont see to many spring breakers.

April most of the places close up because of lack of crowds even though they have plenty of snow

Best advice I can give is if you have the time and patience to hit somwhere a little away from big towns Jackson/Big Sky you wont have the crowds and you will minimize the day trippers and the crowds. Having said that it is no where near as bad as Europe at any time of the year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
late Jan/early Feb virtually everywhere for best snow, lowest crowds and costs. Delay until March if going to Banff/Lake Louise.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tony Crocker has an interesting website. www.bestsnow.net that give the best months to hit many of the major US resorts (in terms of expected snow quality)...others have pointed out holidays to avoid (which affect some resorts more than others as noted).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy