Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendation for instructor in Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Hello snowHead

My OH and I are spending a week in Arc 1950 in January. We would like to find an instructor for 2 or 3 private lessons, ideally together. I have been skiing for about 7-8 weeks in total, am reasonably competent technically (having had loads of good instruction) but have suffered a bit of a crisis in confidence the last couple of years and think I need to rediscover the fun in skiing. OH is the opposite, he's only spent about 3 weeks on skis but picked it up straight away and will happily chuck himself down anything, but would like to improve his technique and style.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a particular instructor who would either meet us in Arc 1950 or somewhere else that we could get to for a morning lesson please?

Thanks very much in advance...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NatalieG, there are various guys at Spirit1950, the village ski-school based in Hameau de Glacier. who will meet your needs, from Vincent , the owner, to Valerie, who, frankly is a bit of a speed-freak Smile : she is quite capable of stretching your OH to the limit. My wife and I always ask for Jean-Michelle, we have had him for private lessons these past couple of years, and find him excellent. He has taught MrsW to ski moguls in all conditions.

Of course, the instructors do vary with the season, and some may not be around this winter.

But, morning lessons tend to be a bit hard to come by if you are going in the main weeks - the school is usually booked out with group lessons, indeed on the peak weeks they throw in lunchtime group sessions as well, with Private lessons only in the afternoon. They won't be alone in this.

But I would suggest giving them a call - all their details are on www.spirit1950.com. and they are there until Aug30th doing the parcours and biking for the summer visitors.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JimW, thanks very much. I will give them a call.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can't get what you want from Spirit1950 you could try the British ski school in Vallandry, New Generation. It's a bit further to ski to, but not a problem to get to for lessons which start after 10am. John Thomas and Ruth Mosely are both excellent, and will be able to work with both you and your OH. Normally private lessons are from 11.30am or later as, like Spirit1950, group lessons tend to take place in the mornings, but New Gen is a small ski school and should be able to accommodate your needs in January when it is fairly quiet.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, an unfortunate name "John Thomas"!!! Should be on the other thread!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks, rob@rar
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We're back from our trip now and just wanted to report that we had lessons with John at New Gen in the end and they were excellent. He seemed a lovely guy and was able to deliver just what we both needed. Great fun and we both felt that we made some good progress. We were very lucky with the weather (13th-17th Jan) and had no problems getting across from 1950 to meet him - in fact we arranged to meet him at the top of the Vallandry lift to save skiing down to the village only to come back up. I would definitely use him again or recommend him to anyone. Thanks again for the recommendations!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NatalieG wrote:
We're back from our trip now and just wanted to report that we had lessons with John at New Gen in the end and they were excellent. He seemed a lovely guy and was able to deliver just what we both needed. Great fun and we both felt that we made some good progress. We were very lucky with the weather (13th-17th Jan) and had no problems getting across from 1950 to meet him - in fact we arranged to meet him at the top of the Vallandry lift to save skiing down to the village only to come back up. I would definitely use him again or recommend him to anyone. Thanks again for the recommendations!

I'm having some group lessons from john this week - absolutely great. Funnily enough I can see me getting my credit card out and booking in some more for next week!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NatalieG & bertie bassett really pleased that you're happy with John's teaching. He's got a great style. He's done a lot of my coaching for my BASI exams, and I'm really happy to recommend him.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, I'm saving up! wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar, I'm saving up! wink

He's worth it. As good as Angus, IMO, but with a more gentle teaching style.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar,
Quote:

with a more gentle teaching style

Must admit, there were moments the other week when I thought that might not be difficult. But the gain was worth the pain. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, Laughing He's a softie really!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, yeah, I know. Also I'm a masochist. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, but don't ever tell him I said that!
latest report
rob@rar, how much is it worth? wink
snow report
I spent a day training with John in November, he was very good. He also suggested I should do my ISIA, so I like him Twisted Evil
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar, how much is it worth? wink

How about a stay in Les Arcs for a very reasonable rate? Wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, wink Done!
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
He also suggested I should do my ISIA, so I like him Twisted Evil

Ditto! I had a private lesson with him a couple of seasons ago and said I was interested in Grade 3, he took a look at my skiing and said I should aim for ISIA (but not ISTD, unless I skied full time). He's a nice guy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy