Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Optimum dates for last minute booking

Poster: A snowHead
One of my trips (hopefully more than one) this year is planned to be a last minute booking. The idea being to go to the best snow conditions and grab a bargain.

The plan being to agree a date now, all book time off, then about a week before we're due to go book a last minute break. Expected to be about four of us, probably best not to have too many and to try to keep an even number.

My question is what dates are best to attempt this. My thoughts are probably late January before the peak season.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First week in Jan usually the best for this IIRC. Late Jan is when anyone with any sense (without kids) tries to be away anyway.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
December 18th for an Xmas or New Year bargain Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First week in January is good cost-wise, normally. Downsides: can be very cold, and snow cover not always as good as a bit later.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cymru am Byth, We are probably going to do the same - we have booked the first week in Feb (7-14) from work and will probably wait until we get a last minute.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Second week in January is usually the last one to be booked for my apartment. The first week after NY is surprisingly always the first to go, and has often been booked in May for the following year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The first week in Jan is the Russian Christmas break and the last few years as seen an upsurege in Ruskies booking our the alps for the first week of Jan but there are good deals to be had.

Second week of Jan is probably the most cost effective but then again if you can all just book the time off from work last minute you could save a packet
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jb1970, that's the second week of February, and will be a very busy week with school holidays in France. Cymru am Byth, I would agree with Helen Beaumont, second week of January. We always went first or second week in January when paying for the family, and it was generally fine - I remember a couple of holidays in the Portes du Soleil when it was warm and sunny (too warm and sunny really) and we never came across disastrous conditions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cymru am Byth, In view of our dealings on the rugby thread; leave it until the end of the first week of February. Some Excellent bargains will be available in Val d'Isere for the 14th of February snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, The guys I normally ski with are going about third week of march. After going at that time last year and being abroad for both the triple crown and grand slam I'm not risking it again. (Did manage to record and see the games without knowing the results but it wasn't the same).

Oddly enough the 14 Feb was bottom of my list of dates to go.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jb1970 wrote:
we have booked the first week in Feb (7-14) from work and will probably wait until we get a last minute.

That's a fairly busy week in my experience. I think it is half-term for some countries. If you are looking to find a lastminute bargain and want to have a least a little bit of choice about where you end up I'd go at least a week or two earlier than those dates.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Best last minute deal I got was end of season with a Chalet company in Courchevel! The Chalet's are rented by the company for the season so at the end of the season they just want to get heads on beds, to get revenue in. Courchevel 1550 in early April (Good conditions) £130 (flight, transfer, accomodation, food) was very cheap and had a great holiday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I think it is half-term for some countries.

certainly is in France. First of the four weeks. The week immediately before (ie first week in Feb) is also pretty busy, as it's the optimum week for French families, or others, without children.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also in Ireland I think.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roy Hockley,

That is excellent value, and probably more cost effective than staying at home!!
latest report
I'd go for mid or late March, personally. Don't go for a low resort if it's late March, but otherwise you should be fine.
snow conditions
Cymru am Byth, after Easter...
latest report
snowball, why not after late March if the snow's good? The idea of a last minute booking being that you chase the snow surely? NehNeh
snow report
But since Cymru am Byth is planning to go for plenty of ski trips next year, best start early!
snow report
Cymru am Byth,

Quote:

After going at that time last year and being abroad for both the triple crown and grand slam I'm not risking it again.

They showed the Six Nations in Switzerland last winter (I think it was a German station), and they definitely show it in France.

For a late booking it's best if you're flexible about when you go. I'm lucky that work allows me the flexibility to take time off at short notice (being unimportant has its benefits Toofy Grin ).
ski holidays
Cymru am Byth, I always watch the Six Nations live in Wengen no problem
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
snowball, why not after late March if the snow's good? The idea of a last minute booking being that you chase the snow surely? NehNeh

Well yes, but what if it isn't good: he might have lost out.
ski holidays
rich.ll, riverman, The problem was that I was travelling as the games were played (not my organisation). Managed to get the hotel to record the Irish match for me and I watched it later that evening. On my return the wife recorded the grand slam for me. The problem is that I was avoiding the result and you get all sorts of clues along the way. (Beaming guys in Welsh shirts is a dead giveaway).
latest report
johnboy, Very true alas I had to get the connecting flight from Manchester, but it was serious value for money and would recommend anyone that wants to go late in the season to do it that way!
snow report
Cymru am Byth, I suggest twice: 1) January - 3rd week as already mentioned and 2) April 3rd or 4th week. Easter is over and many resorts will still be open and welcome tourist with open arms! Very Happy there should still be plenty of skiing to be had too.

jb1970, according to my little 'bible' there are 7 european countries on holiday in your week, but France and Germany are the main ones, so you should be OK in Italy! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy