Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is whistler now just a party town?

Poster: A snowHead
heard some reviews of whistler lately saying it has now just become a party town and full of noisy louts, does anyone know if this is true? i mean i like my apres ski but i want to come to ski and relax have a few drinks and not feel like im back in the uk on a saturday night lol
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it's rubbish - lively certainly, but nothing like Barnsley on a Saturday Smile And of course varies depending on time you go.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Odd bit of fighting, shouting by the taxi loop late at night - Saturday night the worst when kids from Vancouver drive up. Not really an issue for most people.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fighting in a ski resort? i thought it was supposed to be world class place, sounds trashy to me
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski resort within 2 hours of a major city, drugs, alcohol & youthful "exuberance" - I'd be surprised if there wasn't the odd scuffle. In fact as most of the drugs are of the herbal variety probably less aggro than the nightime population would warrant.

e.g.

http://bc.rcmp.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=50&contentId=4686

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/03/11/whistler-murder.html?ref=rss

Note - latter was first shooting in 30 years so not an everyday event.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
haha this sounds like such a lovely place to go now after reading that lol, think i might be giving whistler a very wide birth. sounds worse than andorra
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
despite fightbob's comments, W/B is pretty tame in the evening compared with most UK city centres
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dave_the_rave, as Arno says very tame compared to most British cities - the area where both incidents cited above occur happens to be where about 5 nightclubs kick out within 100m or so, most tourists would see none of this in multiple visits or be so mashed from a night in Tommy's or the Savage Beagle etc that they wouldn't notice it. RCMP police the area heavily too so not a threat to ordinary punters.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
can anyone recommend a decent hotel thats not right in the thick of it but also close enough where you can walk to the bars etc? i was looking at glaciers lodge and pinnacle lodge, any other suggestions?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've always liked the Listel - set just behind the Crystal Lodge. Just far enough away from the Village Stroll not to hear any noise, but still very convenient for bars, restuarant, and most importantly the slopes.

And whilst people in Whistler do like to party, as other posters have said, it's a lot more pleasant than the average UK town on a Saturday night, except perhaps when it's a US holiday.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dave_the_rave, I reckon the Chateau and Four Seasons (the latter of which is much the better) on Blackcombe are nice and quiet but to be honest I have stayed in a few hotels in central whistler and bnever experienced problems - Hilton, Pan Pacific slopeside, West In, Delta Whistler Village suites and noise has never bothered me.......but then I have been partying til late more often than not Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Pinnacle is pretty well located (its across from the Delta Suites next to the Library). Most anywhere is easily walkable but you are off the Village Stroll so you shouldnt get noise. There are a number of decent eating places in the immediate area. It should be significantly cheaper than, say, the Chateau or the Four Seasons (if cost is an issue)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cost is sort of an issue i mean the pinnacle is coming out at £2500 for 10 nights and its only 3*

is whistler really worth that type of money or should i go to say fernie or say copper mountain in usa for lot less money?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is that a brochure price or a DIY price?

Here is the website for the hotel. Play around with dates and see what you can find eg March 20th for 10 nights at $160 plus tax. That is less than £100 per night for a room for 2.

http://www.whistlerpinnacle.com/reservations.htm#

Not sure how your prices are so much larger.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thats a brochure price, tried, inghams, crystal, neilson, thomson and thomas cook and they all come in at over 2grand. some places wont even fly out from manchester for whistler unless i go for 2 weeks which i though was really odd. only thing about DIY is the price of the flight and then i would need to arrange a transfer which i think would be steep
snow report
Transfers are dead easy. You can use this lot whom I have used often

http://www.perimeterbus.com

or there are a few others. If there are more than 4 of you going you may find a private hire is cheaper. They leave from directly outside the arrivals hall and will drop you at your hotel door or very close to it......for example for the Pinnacle they drop across the street at the Delta Whistler and that is where they pick you up.

This works out about £60 return.
snow report
DIY gives you better rates than tour ops in my experience. (But it still ain't cheap)

I've used Whistler Taxi for airport to door transfers (http://www.whistlertaxi.com). Their rates ($220 one way) work out better than the Perimeter bus for 4 people, and you don't have to wait for the bus (in my experience, UK flights arrive at just the wrong time: by the time you've ollected your bags, the bus has just left, and yo have to wait a couple of hours for the next one). - That said, I've also used the Perimeter bus, and it's pretty good.

The most rowdiness I've encountered was an improvised Aussies vs Brits cricket match in full swing in the Village Square one evening.
ski holidays
Never come back from Whistler without seeing (m'lud) several good knocks in a two week period. But for 99.9% of people who go there, and go to bed before 1am, it won't be a part of your holiday, so it's not an issue.

Boisterous/Ladetterous activity is another thing..........................

Whistler/Blackcombe is the dogs. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But it's too dear, for what it is now, in my opinion. I'd go back early next year if I could get a good deal, but the Olympics, and the hype, has put paid to that.

And although people will tell you there are savings to be made, do yourself a favour and book a package.

Flak jacket on......................

John.

Oh, I've always stayed in the Blackcombe Lodge. Can't fault it.
snow report
dave_the_rave, pm PhotoTim as he's in Whistler for the summer MTBing. He'll probably know where all the good spots are
snow report
Quote:

do yourself a favour and book a package.

As someone who has done a number of DIY trips to Whistler why do you hold that view?

I can book the whole trip from the chair I am currently sitting in, via the net or the toll free number for the mountain. I get exactly what I want, in terms of accomodation/flights/transfers/ski hire/ski school/lift tickets, from whom I want, on the dates that I choose to go, flying from my local airport, at a price which is (in my experience) cheaper than through a tour operator. What am I missing out on by not going via a tour op?
ski holidays
Sorry, I should have prefaced that with:

"If you're only trying to save yourself some cash, do yourself a favour and book a package".

Occasionally, just occasionally, you might get it "cheaper".

When you factor in all the other parts of a "package", not just the financial cost, most people, most of the time are better off.

The cheapest routine flight out to Calgary, pre-booked, is around £400 return.

Me and the missus are going back out to Fernie this year, and had we not upgraded our room, the deal would have come in at £483 per person, flights transfers & on slope accomodation, for two weeks. As it is we're paying £563.

You're now going to tell me you can better that..................................

If we have a problem out there, we have someone to moan at. If the airline goes toes up while we're out there, someone will bring us back. If there's a major problem while we're out there, when we come back we have someone to sue.

What do you get booking it yourself?

Last time we were in Whistler we booked a package. My sister went out the week before, and my bro-in-lo decided he could do better doing it himself. It cost them £358 per person more than we paid, for inferior accommodation for 10 nights than we paid for 14 nights.

Occasionally, just occasionally, you will do "better". The exception does not disprove the rule.

I'm sure a lot of people will reply telling me how they saved 20p flying with Air Moldavia on their latest turbo-prop, landing in a field just outside Nowhereograd, and that there was only an eight hour longer transfer to the resort. And that luck was obviously smiling on them because reports that their accommodation might not be ready were unfounded as the previous occupants had just moved out, having finally found somewhere to hibernate.

I'm a freer spirit than the above might suggest. I'm however not stupid enough to think doing it "my way" always gets results.

John.
latest report
Sorry, I'd just like to correct a blatant lie in the above...........................

Having just checked my invoice, we were going to pay £436 for the Fernie trip, but with the upgrade are paying £583.

I like my comfort, off the slope..................................

Wouldn't want anyone to think I was gilding the lilly.........................

John.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy