Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best time for Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Does anybody know what time of year usually sees the most snowfall?
I have France in mind and most probably Val Thorens.

Also, i am a fairly new skiier, went once before for a few days and was ok on the red runs by the end of it. What would be the best resort for me? I am thinking of staying in France, lots of snow, near the alps, loads of space and long runs is also good. Val Thorens?

I am hoping to go in the next few months and hopefully fairly cheap (£700 total) as i am a student. Any ideas for cost sutting? Is it cheaper to put my own holiday together rather than buy a package?

Any help would be great,
Thanks in advance,

M
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you time it right you'll get it way under £700.
The safest month for snow on the ground is Feb but it's also the most expensive (eg £800+) because of school holidays and it's the most crowded because of... school holidays.

January, the weather is often colder but u often get a lot of snow falling and it's cheap! Mar, again by mid mid-march the prices have fallen and there''s always going to be good cover. Val Thorens though, is safe as igloos. It is the highest altitude resort in Europe (did u know that?). It'll be snow-sure till mid April at least. The last few years, even the first week of May has been incredible up there. 2 seasons back we got 70cm of new snow on May 5th!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh and welcome to snowHeads BTW snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mbwest, welcome to snowHeads. I'm not sure that your title is the best choice for your question. To attract the most feedback, I would suggest you rename it to whichever is the most important question for you - e.g. "skiing on a shoestring budget - how can I cut costs?", or "week 2 skier - which resort and when?" Or even put them both out as two separate threads. What else is important to you - nightlife? Pretty village? Shopping?

From my own experience and from reading this site over the months, ways to cut costs could include:
book at the very last minute.
go in January when no-one else wants to.
Car-share.
Stay in youth hostels.
Book a coach-based holiday.
Stay in accommodation slightly out of resort. (You would need your own transport though)
Don't go to the well-known resorts.
Consider cheaper countries - Andorra, Italy, Austria

As a week 2 skier, the world's pretty much your lobster really. There are loads of places you could choose, basically you will want somewhere with loads of blues and reds. But again this depends on what you want from your holiday. Are you looking to cover loads of kms or would you want to concentrate on improving your style via lessons. This would dictate how big the resort would need to be. My second week was to Courchevel 1650, but in hindsight I was able to ski only such a small amount of the 3V that I should have saved the pennies and gone somewhere cheaper.

When is it best for snow. I don't think that you can really predict that one, but I think that you would find most places OK from January.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey thanks for all the replies, they are a great help.

Is there anyone that would advise against Val Thorens? and would it be cheaper to book it all through a travel agent or put it together myself?

Thanks again, M
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mbwest, You're a bit late to take advantage of the cheapest low cost flights...if you can do late availability you'd probably be better off waiting and booking a last minute TO package....there can be some real bargains out there if you tough it out. Then again...driving down and sharing costs or going by train might be better options - I've never done either so couldn't say!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mbwest, don't know about VT but I have always used packages until this year. I reckon to saving about £200 on a like-for-like basis. But that includes a single supplement. Are you on your own ?? Can be difficult to avoid crippling supplements at busy times. But if you can wait and grab a last minute discounted deal you could easily wipe that saving out. Igluski are pretty good for cheap deals.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you can go mid-week to mid-week (hostel accommodation should allow this), then you can still get some cheap(ish) flights. You get to ski on change-over days and your transfers can be clearer as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skanky, good idea. My flights are on Thursday, FlyBE from Southampton to Chambery and about half what w/end cost would be. Then train to BSM is very cheap.
mbwest, where are you based (you might like to edit your profile) ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kuwait_ian, that reminds me. I meant to tell you, sorry. My mate (who's going that day) is flying to Lyon as that was the best option for him flight-wise. He's still not decided on best transfer from though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skanky, saw your post about train from Lyon and put 2 & 2 together. The timetable we have for Chambery doesn't show trains Lyon-BSM without a change but I'm sure there must be some direct.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are feeling confident and can do the ground work yourself, save some money and get more for it too by booking everything independently. We havent used a travel agent for any travel for about 6 years now. You get what you want, when you want to go and usually stay wherever takes your fancy. Even better no cr**py supplements to pay and no silly flight times.

Would agree, you could go almost anywhere and france is great if you want to just get miles under your belt. You could even stay in the valley and use your car to try lots of resorts rather than being stuck in one all week or spending a day riding lifts to the area with the best snow.

Cheers,

David
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Basically, if your largest single expense isn't you lift pass, you're missin g trick somewhere wink

(Unless there's a trick to get a cheap lift pass short of living there)

kuwait_ian, I think the train's his current favourite.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skanky, if there was i'd know about it. Liftpasses for 4 of us cost a fortune.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, I can imagine Shocked
latest report
How hard is it to book it all on your own though? I speak no other languages and am i defintly garanteed that all my bookings will go through? does it not cost a bomb phoning all of the places in France to book?
About how much do you think i would save?
ski holidays
mbwest, Easy most can be done on the internet and most resorts have good english speakers. I have been booking direct with resorts for years for both winter and summer holidays.
ski holidays
mbwest, I've been to Val Thorens twice (recent two Easters) and I think it a great ski resort.
However, it is not cheap, and it can be a bit bleak in bad weather: no trees for when visibility gets bad, and high winds can close all the lifts.
Do I detect a bit of anxiety that your hard-stretched funds wont be wasted? Even though you have picked one of the most snow-sure resorts in France, you are still concerned about the best time to go.
To go cheaply, go Low Season(end of January), go with a group (4+), cram yourself into the standard French Shoe-box apartment, and live on pasta and plonk.
Have you considered La Plagne?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy