Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serfaus Fiss Ladis See

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There are some nice photos over on the German forum of the major improvements going on together with the eventual link to See (Silvretta).

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3483&start=2400&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

http://www.alpenverein.at/naturschutz/urgtal4_b.gif
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I find this most interesting as I skied both See and Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis in Jan this year. Most other resorts just talk about the extra link and this one is happening. Full mark for the Austrian as the last link I learned was the cable car erected between Jochberg abd Kitzbuhel. They scheduled it to open in 2004 and it did. Haven't tried it myself yet.

See is the first resort, with only 33km piste, in the Silvretta valley leading to Kappl, Ischgl (linked to Swiss Samaun) and Galtur.

Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis, which has 185km piste, is in the next valley leading eventually to St Moritz.

Both Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis and See are family orientated resorts and so the link is complementary to each other.

I skied See/Fiss/Ladis in a day trip while staying in Ischgl. I had to come out of the Silvretta valley to main road in Landeck and then travel into another valley with a total distance of 36 miles to reach Serfaus. The distance between Ischgl and See is only 12 miles so the link is most welcome.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It will also link Landeck (Zams) . When St Anton (Rendl) links wit Kappl . You will have the biggest ski area in the world (Arlberg,Silvretta,Serrfaus)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow! That sounds unbelievable.

Luckily I have reached an age that I don't believe what I hear and only half of what I see.

If the 280km piste of St Anton is to be linked with the 40km piste of Kappl the link will be as big as St Anton itself. There is nothing but steep mountains between the 4 miles stretch from See and Kappl. One feature that stands out in Silvretta is the valley is very narrow and steep. Ischgl skiers have to be transported almost two inner valleys before they can ski. Thus the future links there will be very challenging.

If Arlberg is linked with Silvretta and then linked to Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis then it will take over as the biggest resort in the world, possibly with up to 800km piste, as they have 538kmpiste as unlinked resorts.

Personally I don't see it happen for the following reasons

(1) Economically it won't paid for itself. It would be very hard to ask a skier to pay day pass significantly more than they he/she is already paying for Arlberg. The payback has to come from popularity with more visitors.

(2) I scaled the distance and it came to 57 km approximately from Lech to Serfaus so there must be 60km skiing distance we are talking about, including chairlift distances. Unlike Sella Ronda which is a circular loop Arlberg to Serfaus is a straight line run. I just don't think there are enough skiing population in the world who can ski the 60km distance and back in the same day. If most visitors can make the full use of the link what is the point of building it?

(3) Lech up to now is still not linked by chairlift to St Anton. Arlberg has to clean up its own back yard to become fully linked before it comes out to expand, I would have thought.

(4) I have been to all the places supposed to be linked eventually. I just don't see there could be enough infrastructure to support the world's biggest resort. It is against Austria character as they don't build great big massive apartment blocks like the French. I remember having coffee and lunch a couple of times at a place opposite See's lift station. It was next to a supermarket. There were only one or two local old-age customers there, a very rural setting indeed.

(5) There is a huge competition as far as skiing resorts is concerned in Tirol along the motorway starting from the German border we have theSki Welt, Kitzbuhel/Jochberg/Kirchberg, Zillertal Valley, resorts scattering around Innsbruck, then Solden and Obergurgl before reaching the Serfaus-Silvretta-Arlberg link. The large competition has made skiing in Austria one of the cheapest in the Alps.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is NO intention to link by lifts between See Kappl Ischgl. These will remain connnected by bus routes.

Ischgl has been talking about a traffic e reduction project by tunneling a 8Km railway route direct through the mountain to the main line at St Anton am Arlberg. I doubt that will happen in 20years.

The Zurs-St Anton (Valluga) link has been planned/talked about for years & probably will be talked about for many more.

Rendl Kappl will happen. It is part of the plan for St Anton to bid for the 2014 World Championships. The Umweltverträglichkeitsprüfung (UVP) (environmental impact assessment) is to be submitted this Autumn. The projected lift lines plans have been done/submitted for some years allready before the Tirol slapped a ban on any new resorts expansions. It is expected that the lifts will be installed after (summer 2010) the completion of the new Rendlbahn (summer 2009) .

Therefore if you are staying in Lech and want to ski Serfaus or Samnaun . You will have to Bus/Ski to St Anton-Rendl-Kappl. Bus to See (For Serfaus) or Ischgl (For Samnaun).

See is great resort often passed by. It has one of the steepest pistes in Austria.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy