Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel "1850" or is it?

Poster: A snowHead
Did you know that courchevel 1850 is actually 1754 metres high... The name was picked to compete with Val D'Isere which is at 1850 metres... Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
heard this before-suspect one or 2 other resorts exaggerate. How high is 1550 then because I would say vert drop is more than a 200 metres
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I remember a few years ago one of the ski mags totalled up the pistes in all th 3V resorts, and IIRC it actually fell short by 120km. They asked one of the tourist offices to explain how they reached the claimed size and they couldn't do it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also I'm pretty sure Arc 1800 isn't at 1800m.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 8-08-08 14:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It will also depend on where you measure. The bottom of the stade is 1820 and there are chalets higher up the road than that.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ssnowman wrote:
I remember a few years ago one of the ski mags totalled up the pistes in all th 3V resorts, and IIRC it actually fell short by 120km. They asked one of the tourist offices to explain how they reached the claimed size and they couldn't do it.

I think they must add a percentage on to allow for all the turns the average skier makes.

I am not being serious!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The bottom of the Altiport runway is 1941m
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I notice also Portes du soleil piste claims haven't gone down since Abondance closed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dan100, At least they didn't go up wink

Isola 2000 (well bits of it ) are at 2000m .... however a lot of the skiing is below that ...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dan100, Not sure as my proper maps are in meribel at the moment so i cant check 1550 but the centre of courchevel 1850 village is definately 1750..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ssnowman,

Around the corner, Arc 1950 is actually at just over 2000m (according to the lifts at the bottom of the village) , but obviously couldn't call it that because 2000, up this hill, is higher still...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ssnowman wrote:
Also I'm pretty sure Arc 1800 isn't at 1800m.

The main chairlift out of Arc 1800 is at 1715m.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gosh what a swiz, Courchevel 1550 seems to be at 1479 & 1650 is at 1564.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowsparkle2, your right !! i just had a look on google maps with the terrain feature turned on and sure enough. At least La Praz 1300 doesnt seem to be exaggerating too much.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've got a proper 25000 scale map at home, if I get chance tonight I'll lookup some of the heights
latest report
stevew, you can get altitidues off of google which is pretty cool and it seems real accurate compared to the 25k maps http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
snow report
skimottaret, don't spoil it I like real maps .. it's one of my anoraks Very Happy Anyway it appears that snowsparkle2 is correct ... bit of a swiz really. I knew about 1850 but not 1550 and 1650. It's the magic of round number you know!
snow report
Well come on - the marketing men are just that MEN.

We have been known to lie about sizes and stuff wink
snow report
Quote:

ssnowman wrote:,

So how do we go about testing that then? Is there such a thing as a skiometer to measure distance skied? If so then I'd volunteer to ski every single run in the 3V to check it out.

Are there a lot of them?
ski holidays
stevew, I like maps as well.. Laughing

But in general, don't mind a few mtrs out...we are talking about being on the side of a mountain and by that very nature, there are going to be variations in height...but 100mtrs would be pushing it a bit
snow conditions
[/quote]

So how do we go about testing that then? Is there such a thing as a skiometer to measure distance skied? If so then I'd volunteer to ski every single run in the 3V to check it out. [/quote]

If such a device were possible, you would have to straight line every run to get an accurate result!

I hope you are up for it.
ski holidays
errrr.......do I get to wear a speed ski suit?
ski holidays
snowsparkle2, Is that wishful thinking wink - Wouldnt have thought it neccessary as there isnt a time limit on it.

The longer you take the better really giving them the chance to add more terrain Toofy Grin
latest report
snowsparkle2 wrote:
errrr.......do I get to wear a speed ski suit?

Low budget I am afraid.

Your thighs will have to be strong enough to hold dead straight slow snowploughs for about a week.
ski holidays
Oooh - just seen that there is 600km of piste (or so they say) in 3 Valleys - Bones, you are right, by the time I'd have done all that it'd be summer already (even with speedy ski suit on).

richjp,
Quote:

Your thighs will have to be strong enough to hold dead straight slow snowploughs for about a week.

Where's the fun in that ? me wanna go fast - wheeeh Toofy Grin

Anyway, reckon my measuring wheel will slow me down sufficiently to avoid disaster........ http://www.englo.ee/images/prod/mr3m.jpg
snow conditions
snowsparkle2, your measuring wheel might suffer from a bit of wheelspin on the smooth snow and misread, I reccomend that you fit it with 6" spikes to provide better grip Toofy Grin
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
Did you know that courchevel 1850 is actually 1754 metres high... The name was picked to compete with Val D'Isere which is at 1850 metres... Laughing

I thought they called it 1850 after the amount of Euro's you need to get a round in in the bars there Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy