Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any info on Le Bettaix/Les Menuires?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, i've recently booked a catered chalet in Les Bettaix (south of Les Menuires approx 3km) for 14 people from 17th - 24th Jan 09. I've only ever been to Andorra and as you all know the snow record hasn't been great recently at that time of year. The brochure says the chalet is ski-in ski-out off piste and that Les Menuires is reached by a chair lift for skiing and also is easily accessible at night. Can anyone answer the following:

1. What is the probability of the snow being good enough to ski back to the chalet in Le Bettaix on 17/24th Jan?
2. The chair lift to Les Menuires is 150m from the chalet but will we have to treck through Les Menuires to reach the lifts to take us up the mountain?
3. At night is Les Menuires easily accessible by foot or taxi (cost?) or will we be pretty much isolated?
4. Has anyone stayed in the chalets in Les Bettaix?
5. Generally what is the snow like in the three valleys especially Les Menuires at this time of year, i'm so sick of either very hard packed (i call ice) or slush!
6. Is there a big difference in the class of piste (blue/red/black) from Andorra?

I should have asked these questions before booking but anyway. I have read that Les Menuires is an ugly resort but after being to Pas de La Casa for 2 years in a row, it couldn't be much worse regarding looks! Our group level of expertise varies but all can ski reds (in Andorra!) but would have tackled blacks had the snow conditions been better - icy conditions did reduce confidence levels!

thanks Little Angel
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Roxy, We were in Les M for 8 days from 5th April this year :
1. Pretty good but not 100% certain - its about 1700m @ Bettaix
2. You can get onto any lift through the centre of Les M - its one of the advantages - Meribel 55 Mins (Thigh burn rating 4) Val Thorens 45 Mins (Thigh burn rating 2) Courchevel 90 Mins (Thigh burn rating 5)
3. Not sure aboutthis, but why would you want to?
4. No
5. Pretty damn good, certainty up at Val T, and don't forget La Masse - excellent snow.
6. Yes - they are beautifully groomed so any difference in steepness is made up for by snow quality.

You didn't ask this, but would I go back to Les M? On ly in a chalet away from the centre. Enjoy! I will be in Les Arcs / Peisey at the same time snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Martin, we wanted to go for a better class of skiing but without the additional cost! There are a range of ages in our group and some want to get out for a bit of apres ski and Les Menuires is the only practical place. As long as it's easy to get back to Le Bettaix in the early hours, although we'll prob have as much crack together in the chalet!

Razz
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Roxy,

Les Menuires is not famous for apres-ski but Les Menuires is famous for ugly architecture. Bettaix itself is quite pleasant little hamlet though and I am sure you will have a great holiday there. The skiing is very good and you will always find somewhere to go for a drink, if you manage to leave the chalet.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The chair lift to Les Menuires is 150m from the chalet but will we have to treck through Les Menuires to reach the lifts to take us up the mountain?

From the top of the Bettex chair you can ski down to another chair which lifts you just above LM and you can then ski down to all the lifts in Croisette. There is bound to be a ski bus service that will also take you to Croisette. The skiing at La MAsse is on the same sode of the valley as Bettex, and although quite tough it is seriously good. The best confidence building slope is The Grand Lac blue off the top of the off the top of the Grange chair. Excellent Resto at the bottom of that chair. More confident skiers will love Jerusalem (do a forum search) above St Martin.

Les Menuires gets a lot of bad press; but, we have stayed in Reberty twice and had the most wonderful holidays.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for your comments, really looking forward now to a great holiday (hopefully!). I'll be doing a snow dance from the middle/end of November! wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roxy, Dont tire yourself out doing the snow dance, you should have decent conditions at that time!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
5. I went in the second week of January this year and conditions were fantastic: dumping most evenings followed by bluebird days (well, 4/6 ain't bad). As Martin points out, Val Thorens is fantastic, but even lower down it was very good this last season. Your mileage may vary, however, particularly if we get another shocking winter like 06/07. Still, if you're going to be anywhere during a bad season, you may as well be in l3V during January, as Val Thorens is the highest resort in the Alps and usually has correspondingly good snow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Roxy wrote:
Thanks Martin, we wanted to go for a better class of skiing but without the additional cost! There are a range of ages in our group and some want to get out for a bit of apres ski and Les Menuires is the only practical place. As long as it's easy to get back to Le Bettaix in the early hours, although we'll prob have as much crack together in the chalet!

Razz
I think you'll be dissapointed with night life in Les Menuires,there are a couple of good eating places half way up the hill,but not a lot else.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roxy wrote:

I have read that Les Menuires is an ugly resort but after being to Pas de La Casa for 2 years in a row, it couldn't be much worse regarding looks!

LOL! oh yes it could.... You'll love the skiing though, and it's in the safest top 10% regarding conditions early in the season
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi

Have you booked up with Silver Lining Chalets?

If so I'm most likely going to be guiding you around the mountain as part of there ski guiding service.

Hopefully by early January I will know the resort inside out - where all the best runs are, where the best snow is, where and when the lift ques get busy and all the best places to go etc etc

Most likely see you out there!

Andy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AWHITE, Welcome to snowheads snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks.. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice little place Le Bettaix but when I skied down there I did think that that two man chair back up to Les M had the potential to get pretty snarled up first thing. Is that the case or is it OK?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi ctskifam
I don't know yet but I'd imagine the lift wouldn't be to bad in the morning, Le Bettaix is quite small so you'd only have the people getting on the lift from there.
I can't imagine to many people ski to Le Bettaix unless they are staying there.
I'm more worried in the mornings about getting snarled up with the ques in Les Menuires after that first lift from Le Bettaix.
Just have to wait and see.

Hi
Roxy - Which company have you booked up with Silver Lining Chalets in Le bettaix?
ski holidays
AWHITE, ctskifam, Lift queues are not really a problem getting out of Les M. Theres a gondola and a detachable 6 pack that seems to shift skischool through in 10 minutes or so, plus a couple of drags and a slow chair, and the rest of the day of course is quieter. I agree not many people ski back to Bettaix - its not the most challenging of pistes. On a plus note you can get there from Val T using only 1 lift...Also a minus note as its a very very very long way.
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas, what wines would you recommend for Les M - IIRC you guys had a decent pallatte...
ski holidays
Don't worry about the ugliness of Les Menuire. You won't even think about it when you're there. It's got great access to La Masse and the Méribel valley, great atmosphere at lunchtimes and it's ski in, ski out from your doorstep.
ski holidays
Hi all, havn't been on here for a while!

I booked the chalet through Ski Amis. I think they took over 6 of the chalets in Le Bettaix winter 07/08? Hopefully it will be as good as it sounds! I'm hoping it's not going to be a slog to get to the slopes in the morning. The info i've been given is that the chalet is ski-in ski-out off piste and the chair lift is 150m away. I really hope it's not too far to go when we get to the top of the Le Bettaix chair! We arrive on the Saturday lunch time on the 17th Jan so hopefully we can get half a day's skiing done when we arrive! I'm starting to pray now that the conditions are as good this year as they were last year.

Another question, what is the average temperature there at that time of year? Puzzled
latest report
Roxy,

After ski-ing in the Alps for a good few years, it can be anything from +10 (very bad year) Crying or Very sad to -30 deg C snowHead

Also depends on how high up you go!

Skitrack
ski holidays
Cheers Skitrack

I'm trying to decide what I need to get. I have a really warm Rossignol Jacket I got for last years skiing but i've only ever worn cotton tops under it. Last year I ended up in bed for the last 2 1/2 days with no energy hot/cold shivers -lke a flu. Crying or Very sad
I don't want to go through that again and I wonder was it the warming up and cooling down again and the heat of the hotel that did it. Think i'm going to invest in a few good base layers this year and see if that works. Any advice? Puzzled
latest report
Ditch the cotton tops and get something more technical, cotton is rubbish if it gets damp and whilst ladies only glow..a lot of people prefer the shell type jackets and layers underneath. This would be a good solution for you as it provides max flexibilty..

I for one am a sweaty bstard so I have a temperature issue when I stop for lunch. Normally I end up (unless inside a sweatshop) putting layers on as I start to cool down. I also struggle with apres, and much prefer to go home to shower first and come back out...
snow report
red 27,

Chateau Senejac –Haut Medoc—€8.29.
Montagny Montcuchot €5.99.
Dauphin De Grand Pontet—Saint Emilion.€8.95
Chateau L’Alouette ---Lalande de Pomerol.€6.89
Chateau Les Vergnes 2005 €2.62

All plus VAT, but the French equivalent of Majestic has some good stuff at relatively easy prices!
Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I've just joined, hope this helps.
We stayed with Ski Amis in Le Bettaix in March 08
1. Snow was good enough to ski back then so January should be fine, its a good 150M walk to the lift, not too bad.
2. at the top of the chair you go down a blue to the choice of four lifts, it can be busy to get up to Les M as everyone is on route to Lessons or Meribel, Courchevel, you can go over to point de la masse as its not so busy and ski there and let the crowds go.
3. they will run you up to LM if they have a free bus and somone to drive it, as someone else said why would you, they are pretty good with the wine and there is an honour bar, there is a restuarant near which has a bar, there is also a hotel over the bridge used by Dutch and Germans which has a bar.
4. Yes stayed there in March, new chalets have a hot tub, sauna large living area rooms on suite, room size not bad, some of the upstairs rooms have a 6ft ceiling
5. Should be fine, Courchevel will be imaculate, if you go over there check the prices beofre you order, you can get some reasonable places but also some mega expensive ones
6. Not skied Andora can't comment

In the mornings at Le Bettaix, you need to get to the lift before the ski school rush or leave it till after, everyone has to go up to LM, there was a rumour that it was going to be upgraded to a 4, not sure if that happened check out WTSS.

There is one ski shop in Le B, Twinner its quite small choice is limited but they are a nice bunch

If you need lesssons try Snow Bow or look at www.snowgurus.com for english speaking instructors

We went with Ski Amis twice last year, and would go again. Little Angel

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 20-11-08 18:18; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
radar, hello, welcome to snowHead !
ski holidays
radar, Thank you sooo much for your post. wink Really looking forward to going now! We have booked accommodation/flights etc separately, just hope with the current climate that the airline (jet2) doesn't go bust! You skiing there this coming season?
snow conditions
Yep, early December, will be there for the opening of the three valley's, staying in Reberty this time, hope to get some mileage in Val T this time Very Happy
snow report
HOW DOs!!

Going with a group of 11 people (including myself), in January 09, and cannot wait!!

Just been to the skishow and bought a royt noice fluorescent green jacket!! Fits a bit snug but should keep me warm! I got extra air vents installed cos I get a bit hot!

Also got a royt noice pink v neck cardy to wear on the way down the slopes. Should be warm enough! Its a REAL LADYPLEASER!!

Cant wait to go.

If anyone wants to meet up when I'm there, look out for me, I'll be wearing either green, yellow or pink stuff. I look a bit like jeremy clarkson, and enjoy eating cajun chicken wings!!

Oh, and in my spare time I like to watch top gear, play with wood, and ponder how my outside garden area could be converted into a japanese buffet parlor (or a jacuzzi).

Ciao for niao, Tobuan Kanobuan.

SEE U THERE LE BETTY HERE WE COME!!! Happy x x x x
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tobuan, welcome to SnowHeads
latest report
Roxy,

Hi Roxy

Well I've started my season as a ski guide working in Le Bettaix, we have had a great start to the season with the snow.
When you come in January it should be great conditions.

Xander the owner of the only bar in Le Bettaix is very friendly, his bar men dominic and Edwin will make you feel very welcome.
The best news is, it is right opposite your chalet.

Be good to meet for a drink just ask the bar man where Andy is and he'll point you in the right direction.
I'll be based around the chalet Sara Marie next to the ski amis chalets.

feel free to e-mail me andrewstevenwhite1984@googlemail.com if you need any further info on the resort.

Kind regards

Andy
latest report
AWHITE wrote:
Roxy,

Hi Roxy

Well I've started my season as a ski guide working in Le Bettaix, we have had a great start to the season with the snow.
When you come in January it should be great conditions.

Xander the owner of the only bar in Le Bettaix is very friendly, his bar men dominic and Edwin will make you feel very welcome.
The best news is, it is right opposite your chalet.

Be good to meet for a drink just ask the bar man where Andy is and he'll point you in the right direction.
I'll be based around the chalet Sara Marie next to the ski amis chalets.

feel free to e-mail me andrewstevenwhite1984@googlemail.com if you need any further info on the resort.

Kind regards

Andy
Looking to go out to Chalet Bettaix in April has anybody skiied there at that time? Any views on skiing in /out of the region at that time, general quality of snow etc. would be gratefully received. Roxy, should you pick this up, what were the chalets like?
Thanks
Joanne
snow report
Hi all, sorry to dig this one up from the archives!

Can anyone tell me what Le Bettaix is like early December (w/c 4th).. we've found a chalet - I think mentioned above, just worried about access to the chairlift, resorts.

Stewart
snow report
europa, there's another thread going on might help on some of your questions http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68424&highlight=
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy