Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowsport media job/career thoughts

Poster: A snowHead
Hellooo

First post on here but been recommended by Ross (arv). Been lurking for a while tho and looks a great forum!!!

Anyways... being a fellow snowhead and only 19 im looking to start a career within the snowsport industry. Somewhere in the media side of snowsports would be my area of choice but im aware that its pretty hard to get into this area. Im a keen skier, having done what ross did and get CSIA level 1 and 2 in Big White this season just gone. A launch into either journalism within ski magazines, with involvement in photography etc or ski movie production would be amazing!!

If anyone one knows of any tips and people to contact, id love to hear from you!! Cant wait to get posting loads on here!

Cheeeers, Ben
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ben123, Wlcome to snowHeads snowHead
The Ski Club of Great Britain often has job vacancies in it's new media department. This weeks vacancies are shown here:
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.asp?intStoryID=5616
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, Beat me to it Little Angel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, do you regularly visit that website? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks an excellent start to me. Have a go - PS sH jacksonhole is also the editor of S+B, the SCGB magazine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles,
Quote:

sH jacksonhole is also the editor of S+B, the SCGB magazine

Unfortunately, I don't think he currently visits this site and he self-confessedly hasn't got the hang of PMs. On the other hand, there's no harm in trying to contact him through Snow & Board, and mentioning the snowHead recommendation along the way.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for all the responses guys!! Very Happy

I have applied to the SCGB one and will drop the editor of ski and board a line.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ben123, There is some one from Fall line their log on is fall line might be worth dropping them a pm
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

There is some one from Fall line their log on is fall line

Ordhan, good thinking. He's called fallliner.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, i think he's a she wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, oh, right, I didn't know.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles wrote:
Looks an excellent start to me. Have a go - PS sH jacksonhole is also the editor of S+B, the SCGB magazine.

and isn't their Director of New Media a snowHead as well?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle wrote:
boredsurfin, do you regularly visit that website?

I'm a lapsed member, My daughter wanted to join last season in LP but the reps office hours hours were held somewhere incovenient for us, I hoped to bump into them on the slopes or in a bar but didn't Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin,
Quote:

and isn't their Director of New Media a snowHead as well?
Not sure
Quote:

I'm a lapsed member

Oh, I thought you were one of the anti-SKGB-ites. Sorry.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Oh, I thought you were one of the anti-SKGB-ites. Sorry.

only when the membership were bringing their tantrums over here from over there Toofy Grin
latest report
boredsurfin, home-grown tantrums, on the other hand, are perfectly acceptable. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, yep, like the English Summer, I'm still waiting for this year's Laughing
ski holidays
Old thread i know, but just thought i'd say i just got offered the job of Snow Reporter with SCGB!

Cheers guys for your ideas and boredsurfin for the link to the job advertisment!! Start early October, so should be good!!
ski holidays
ben123, congrats!
snow report
Hurtle, falliner is most definitely a he...........

and congrats to Ben123
snow conditions
ben123, nice one and best of luck... the office social activity should be interesting if you know what I mean, nudge, nudge Toofy Grin .

If the job involves talking to tourist offices and asking for latest snow depths, can you quiz them really hard on where exactly they are measuring - you'll be doing the world a favour. I often see a measure under a chairlift loading area, for example, where nobody skis and flattens the snow.
snow conditions
Jo225, Helen Beaumont, Thank you!!

Bode Swiller Thanks as well!! Apparently social events are also a big part of the job, ill be going to a lot of them Very Happy And they have a ski trip for the staff in April sometime, which will be great!! As for the snow depth question, i will be sure to ask them that!! I have always wondered that as well, when you see a lower piste depth of, say, 30cm and then get to the resort to find most of the lower slopes bare.
ski holidays
ben123, That sounds like a result - will you work out of a UK office? I'm sure if you need ideas for articles and information requests that there will be plenty of suggestions here. Wish you well
ski holidays
ben123, you have a chance to change things forever... no more vanity measuring, no more rubber rulers. There's more than one measurement really... at the moment we have tio make do with just upper slopes / lower slopes and, like you say, they often bear no resemblance to the reality when you turn up. How deep is the unpisted stuff? How deep is it when packed down in the high traffic areas? What's the snow temperature? Of course, it would need some consistency across the globe as to where measurements are taken but that's part of the challenge. Snow reports haven't really moved on in decades. With all the info-gathering gear at our disposal these days, it's time for more meaningful numbers.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, of course they bear no resemblance to what you find on the ground. The fact is I could go and measure a valid and truthful snow depth of over 100cm on CairnGorm Mountain this afternoon, but such a figure should tell you one thing only, what absolute crap reporting snow conditions by spot depths lets resorts off with. Laughing

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 9-09-08 13:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Winterhighland, trouble is, that's also the length of the run.
ski holidays
ben123, Congratulations thrilled for you now go live all our dreams for us Laughing
snow report
ben123, congrats on the job now that I read more than 1 post back in this thread!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ordhan wrote:
ben123, Congratulations thrilled for you now go live all our dreams for us Laughing

What, in Wimbledon? wink Toofy Grin

ben123 - congratulations! snowHead Can you just make sure there's plenty of snow in Austria next season please Very Happy
latest report
ben123 wrote:
Old thread i know, but just thought i'd say i just got offered the job of Snow Reporter with SCGB!

Cheers guys for your ideas and boredsurfin for the link to the job advertisment!! Start early October, so should be good!!

Excellent Very Happy Well done, the power of t'inernet eh! Very Happy

Perhaps a user name change on here would be useful before you start keeping us 'up to date' wink
ski holidays
ben123 wrote:

Well done. Enjoy. The editor of S+B is a great guy.
ski holidays
Surely this job should have gone to Mr David Goldsmith? Toofy Grin

Coat please...

ben123, well done!
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, No not him.......ben123, well done please make sure it does not snow on Saturdays wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy