Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Videos for analysis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There have been a couple of threads about skiing offpiste and I made some comments, so it's only fair that I put my own skiing up for analysis.

These two videos are from a Straightline Adventures camp I attended in 2006 in Chamonix. We weren't too lucky with the snow, so this ain't powder skiing.

The aim was to make medium-radius turns.

First video: variable cut-up snow, patches of old powder. I think the beginning and end of this one illustrate the fact that skiing offpiste can be a series of linked recoveries Laughing

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/13988

Second video: at least 35 degree slope, hard snow, HARD to keep an edge.

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/13989

Comments welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see Gordy had been on at you to get your hands out in front of you wink

your problems seem to be when you get a bit in the back seat and/or aren't keeping your body looking straight down the fall-line. otherwise, pretty good combat skiing in my book
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
horizon, the main problem I can see is that you don't look like you are having fun! It's really important when skiing off piste to have fun. I recommend fatter skis Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just get a blank screen when I click on the thumbnails. Sad Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
horizon, I'm no instructor so I'm afraid I have no drills for you...and you don't know how I ski so do feel free to disregard any comments...

It looks like conditions were not exactly perfect!

I'd second Arno that I think you should have your shoulders down the fall line more. It seems that you're fighting the slope rather than exploiting it. And it seems as though your punctuating a series of traverses with little (and slightly late) hops or little leg retractions to initiate turns and get your skis round. Notice how (particularly) your left arm comes up as you "hop" up? Almost like you're having to use your arms to get enough lift?

If your shoulders were down the hill I think you'd be anticipating your turns better. You could try and make the progression through the turns work more smoothly, commit into the turn by plating your poles a little earlier and with less arm movement, let the skis do what they're supposed to do and smooth out the turn itself. In fact, maybe slow the whole thing down and relax into it.

I suspect that finding a slightly less steep (although steep enough that you can properly practice "steeper" techniques) with "nicer" snow so you can ignore it & don't need to fight it would be a good plan.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It looks good with no help from the snow.

The only problem with arms that far in front is that it can promote a back-seat counter-balance IMV...but since the goal was for a
quite quick blast down a steep bumpy pitch, that is quite understandable
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy