Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I am planning a 2½ week long ski trip in the US/Canada area from mid February to beginning of March 2009. I have done a lot of research and have come up with 2-3 routes that looks really interesting. To make my decision a bit easier I was hoping someone here could give me a helping hand with their experience and opinon.

The routes that I have been looking at are:

1. Vail -> Aspen -> Whistler
2. Vail -> Aspen -> Alta -> Jackson Hole
3. Vail -> Aspen -> Alta OR Jackson Hole

If I could I would have gone to all the places above, but 2½ weeks are unfortunatley not enough for that. At least not enough to enjoy each place Sad

At first I was totally set for route 1, but after reading on a lot of forums and other places, I'm not sure any more. We are not party animals so we dont care that much about the nightlife. We are just looking for an awesome skiing (snowboarding) experience, with a lot of good powder and long runs.

Where would you go and why?

Thanks a lot in advance! Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not 1 too much travelling.

2 is stretching a bit.

I'd pick the best bits from 3 and do

Alta/Snowbird > Brighton/Solitude > Snowbasin or Powder Mtn > Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ehawk, all three seem to involve too much travelling for me compared to the amount of skiing in any of them. I'd stick to 1 (well, maybe 2 if Utah/Wyoming) and do a road trip of Colorado say, or 10 days in Utah, 7 days in Jackson. I'm not sure (but have never been) why you'd want to do both Vail and Aspen.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know me routes involve quite some travelling, but as this is my girlfriends second ever visit to the US, and me first visit west of Illinois, we are kind of looking forward to see a little more than the slopes as well. But not too much, if you know what I mean. A few extra hours behind the wheel is totally worth it if that means that you get a better total experience. If we are going to whistler, we are flying there and not driving. Maybe that was obvious Smile

Why Aspen and Vail? Well, when you are talking skiing/snowboarding in North America, at least here in Scandinavia: Vail, Aspen and Whistle are the three first names that comes up. Reading reviews and forum posts the two only negative things I have heard is that it can be a bit crowded (at least vail on weekends) and also a bit more expensive than other places in the area. Why would both of you want to drop Aspen and Vail? Would be very interesting to find out.

We are flying in to Denver or Salt Lake City so that will be one of the starting points and one of the reasons why Vail and Aspen also became sort of a natural stop on the way to Utah or the other way around.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ehawk, Just stick with Vail, Breck, Arapahoe, Keystone - covered under the Summit county lift pass - stacks to do and 2.5 weeks is not enough for that area. save the others for another time.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Been to Vail - its fine but not that exciting (pricey/ the yanks give up on apres at 6pm/the back bowls are good but not epic. Aspen I've heard is pretty good but there are other places on my shortlist in Colorado I'd go to first - e.g. Silverton/Crested Butte. I've never skied JH & LCC/BCC so they'd be my choice in those states. If I wanted a trip involving Whistler I'd focus on the PNW and BC for my skiing - some mighty fine hills there.

Even if you fly to Whistler you are probably looking at a day of travelling each way by the time you've got back to an airport with a flight to Vancouver then 3 hrs transfer to Whistler.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would do what Nickster is saying, seems like an awful lot of traveling for the options your suggesting.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the input, but I have a few more questions before I'm totally satisfied Smile

Comparing the Utah area (Alta, Snowbird, etc) to Summit County. What makes one better than the other and what are the biggest differences? Same with Jackson, why would you rather take the Utah or the Summit County area over Jackson/Grand Targhee, or the other way around if you may?

The reason I am asking is that I realize that these places are all really good, but I havent been able to figure out why any of these places are better than the other? I know Alta got superb powder, but is it so much better than other places, or is it the terrain that makes the difference?

On a local forum here in Scandinavia I got the recommendation to have Salt Lake City as a base camp if exploring that area, is that what you would do as well?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ehawk, As far as nightlife in the US/Canada goes, Vail / Aspen / Whistler are going to be among the busiest and best. I know you said that's not your goal, just commenting. Can't comment on Aspen, but both Whistler and Summit County will give you lots of variety...Summit County more so as you'll have all the different areas within easy driving distance. Comparing Summit County to Utah, Alta/Snowbird are known both for their steep terrain and for the super dry, powdery snow. While there are steeps to be had in Summit County, most notably at Arapahoe Basin, it is not quite the same. So, depends on what you are looking for. Staying in SLC is definitely an option - either drive or take a shuttle to your mountain of choice each day. Just be aware that each mountain is at least 1/2 hour away, and that SLC is not a terribly exciting place to stay. If you're looking for more of a ski resort feel, you'd be better off staying at one of the resorts. Jackson is also known for its steeps, so while not having been, it probably falls into the Alta / Snowbird category in terms of terrain.

I absolutely loved Whistler, but for ease of transport, I'd recommend splitting your time between Colorado and Utah. 7 or 10 days in each...

Good luck!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ehawk,

I have been to all of the resorts that you mentioned. They are all crowded and expensive. I would recommend the following in BC. Go to Red Mountain, White water and Revelstoke instead - best snow and terrain in North america - no crowds - no real night life either. But also good options for great cat skiing in these areas to
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll make a totally different approach: what is it really you're after?'

If you want to see the different country, your option 3 isn't too bad. You'll get to "see" very different style of resorts & skiing, plus a bit of scenary as you drive from Denver to JH. Just make sure you go in that direction, or you'll be disappointed.

If you just want to ski, then stick to one or two base. For example, either do SLC + JH or Vail + Aspen + Summit County. The former is more suitable for advanced skiers while the later slightly favors intermediates.

Many suggest Summit county for the entire 2 1/2 weeks. I'd say not. The "different' resorts of Summit county doesn't give you a good sampling of N. America Skiing. By the end of the trip, you'll just feel like you've only skied one good size resort that's not even connected by lifts! If you were to confine yourself to Colorado for 2 1/2 weeks, at least go to Aspen. Or, go south to take in Telleride/Creted Butte. Both add some flavor to the very blend and look alike collection in Summit county. (or noth to Steamboat Spring, which I have not been)

Whistler is in a different region altogether. So if you want to go there, it's best to combine it with resorts in the NW and the Canada instead.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jumperpowder, no bias there at all... wink

ehawk - I haven't skied Utah (it's on the list) but have skied the rest of your proposed resorts.

I think ABC has it exactly right. I am a bit of a JH nut and would tend towards SLC and JH/Targhee. But I did once do a 2 week holiday with a week in Aspen and a week in Vail and had fun.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy