Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season at Chamonix or Courchevel?

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking about heading to France to do a season this (southern hemisphere) summer.

My French is rather sketchy at the moment, though I'm working on that. I'd rather not do the chalet thing though, would prefer to work in a bar/retail/ski workshop, or on the mountain. A range of skiing options would (obviously) be nice, as well as some options for... nighttime activities. I'll need to be able to get a job, too.

I was drawn first to Chamonix because of the steeps as well as the mountaineering culture etc, however have been told that it's a bit small and won't have so many English speakers. Would somewhere like Courchevel/Meribel be a better option?

Oh and yeah I'm checking out natives, before annyone suggests that.

Cheers Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nzbassist wrote:

I was drawn first to Chamonix because of the steeps as well as the mountaineering culture etc, however have been told that it's a bit small and won't have so many English speakers. Would somewhere like Courchevel/Meribel be a better option?

I think the real challenge in Sham o nicks is to find native french speakers a lot of the time. Really this should be the least of your concerns - it is a fair sized town. The advantage Courcheval or Meribel might have would be if you want to hang out with fur clad Russian hookers or want mile after mile of linked motoway runs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm 21 with retail experience and a degree in science (not that that'll help much), by the way.

Hmm, you don't sound particularly enthused by either option? Neh Neh
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No Chamonix is great but there is a huge Brit/Aussie/US/Canuck contingent plus the Scandi nation so its not exactly backwater France. There is a reason that it has a big reputation though - the skiing is as tough as you want to make it but it doesn't necessarily suit those looking for miles of interconnected runs and manicured parks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah well while there's a place for long groomed runs, it's nice to be able to mix it up with steeps etc.

Hmm sounds like there's a vote for Chamonix then...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nzbassist,

On the face of it..Chamonix wins by a mile...but know that the valley is strung out and you'll be busing between Chamonix and Argentierre..( 11kms, IIRC ) amongst other little gem destinations. There is a local saying that you are never bored in Chamonix unless you are injured... so wouid be my pick. It would be easier..IMV.. to hookup with like minded people there as well and it is a functuioning town as opposed to a resort like Corcheval. That said, you should treat Courcheval as a base to get to the entire valley..and by that I mean as far north as Val D'Isere and Italy but you'll need transport to get there.

In both cases position yourself to find like-minded peeps who can then show you all the backside stuff... and once you get to that, which should be easy enough, I doubt you'll be dissapointed with either.

Other peeps stay down in the valley towns of BSM and drive around... so they get cheaper lodging there but that is probably off-set by having/needing a car.

I'd still say Chamonix as it is a real mecca, but I don't think that Courcheval is a poor choice by any means.

Maybe Chamonix has the more vibrant muso scene...or rather more obvious to find..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SmallZooKeeper usually takes on a trainee bootfitter @ his shop each season, I seem to recall - footworks.fr
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nbt, at 21 you might find more skiing time working nights in a bar. I don't think I slept during my first season - well not so's you'd notice (except at dinner on a Thursday night...)

nzbassist, I've never been to Courchevel - but its received reputation is such that I think you'd have a much better skiing time in Chamonix.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chamonix if you're a man.

Courchevel 1850 if you're a sheila.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Speaking as a 'sheila', I thought CVL was a pants place to spend a season. Out of the two I'd go for Chamonix.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nzbassist,

Don't be fooled into thinking that Courcheval is just motorway skiing in the 3V's...talk to someone who knows..and PM BernardC for an on-the-spot perspective.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Didier Givois' book certainly shows some pretty amazing stuff across the Trois Vallees.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Out of the two - Chamonix would appear to be a better choice then CourcheVEL (Not CourcheVAL???!! - Why do so many people on here insist on renaming the place?) if you are looking for an authentic French town (Despite it's massive Brit contingent), but I personally find the place too fragmented as a resort with regard to the mountains.

The three valleys as a seasonnaire is a great choice as you have such a massive area to explore throughout the varying season snow conditions etc. CourcheVEL is pretty varied - I would avoid 1850 like the plague unless you like being surrounded by oil-rich Russians in fur coats and equally over the top Brits of similar nature and getting skanked for everything you try to buy! ... 1650 is a great ski area, retains a bit of French charm but is pretty much at the end of the map - but saying that, if you know the tricks you can get across the area in no time so I would not see this as a restriction.

Maybe have a look at St Martin De Belleville as an alternative choice to the obvious such as Meribel, Mottaret, Menuires etc - You'll get value for money, a bit of peace when needed and you are well located to get anywhere in the system in no time.

Good luck with your decision, you'll love it wherever you end up anyway Happy ! Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamonix if you want to fight with assembled French/Brits/Scandis etc every powder day unless your prepared to climb a fair bit for your turns (even then no guarantees)..
But the potential for 'big' skiing is unlimited (have a look at Anselme Baud's "Book of certain death" (Mont Blanc & Aiguilles rouges ski guide book)).

Courchevel for access to a huge linked area and loads of off-piste potential with a lot less pressure for fresh tracks (see the Givois book) & easy access to loads more of the same at Paradiski, Espace Killy , Vanoise ski mountaineering etc etc.

Its a tough call... but a good choice to have to make Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did last season in Courch 1850, and didn't see to many "Fur Clad Russians"!

It is a pricey resort though, and totally differrent to Chamonix, advantage with Courch is you get Meribel and Val T on the 3V pass!!

Dan Dan
snow report
offpisteskiing, Maybe i've been lucky but Cham' ain't like that anymore.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Actually, looking at last winter I'd probably have to agree...had a couple of cracking days skiing freshies without too much of a bunfight. (Mind you it helps when you can get lift priority Very Happy ). Definitely seen some full-on 'powder-frenzy' there in the past though... (maybe I'm just getting on a bit... Confused )
ski holidays
If I was a 21 year old kiwi guy looking to do a season then I'd definitely choose Chamonix of the two. But then, as I'm a female British old age pensioner, I may be wrong.... wink
snow conditions
pam w, as a female OAP I'd choose Chamonix, since it would seem to full of fit young kiwis to look at. Laughing
ski holidays
dandan wrote:
I did last season in Courch 1850, and didn't see to many "Fur Clad Russians"!

Dan Dan

Does not mean they weren't there mate, check it out....

"this prestigious resort, an Olympic site during the Albertville 1992 Winter Olympics and a holiday destination for French and Russian high society and Europe’s biggest tycoons."

Full article as an example ....

http://news.nauticexpo.com/press/azimut/un-yacht-azimut-a-courchevel-1850-the-luxury-of-yachting-at-two-thousand-meters-20077-5029.html

Shocked
latest report
And another corker!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2006/jan/22/wintersportsholidays.wintersports.russia

Abramovich has been spotted on the lash around the place too - also La Tania....

I personally prefer 1650 - just use 1850 as a route through........ it's all good on a sunny powder day though!
snow report
Quote:
Does not mean they weren't there mate, check it out....

"this prestigious resort, an Olympic site during the Albertville 1992 Winter Olympics and a holiday destination for French and Russian high society and Europe’s biggest tycoons."

Honest there was not many russians, there was more yanks than russians last season.

Didn't Abramovich try and buy Courchevel but Courchian's wern't to pleased and said no?

Quote:
I personally prefer 1650 - just use 1850 as a route through........ it's all good on a sunny powder day though!
i agree the slopes by 1650 are used less and are great runs boh on and off piste!
latest report
dandan, I would agree there were a lot less Russians in Courchevel last season

nzbassist, you will have a great winter in either resort, or in any of the other large French resorts. You are probably better off considering which of them would be easier to find work as an English speaker. Courchevel and Meribel should not present a problem, I am not sure about Chamonix, others may be able to help you there.
ski holidays
nzbassist, Have you made sure that you can get a work permit ?

If you can't work then the choice may be different.
snow report
The big thing to consider in my mind is when your going to ski vs work and what transport you have.

if your based in Courchevel, it's going to be easier to nip out for a few hours skiing, vs Chamonix where you will have to get a bus there and back....

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 8-08-08 15:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Abramovich has been spotted on the lash around the place too - also La Tania....

Who's Tanya?
ski holidays
rjs yeah I'm pretty sure I'd qualify for a work permit, I had a look at the French embassy website and it seemed alright. would need to make sure of that though, obviously. Worst comes to worst I'll head to Canada instead, I just figure France would be a bit more of an adventure.

Righto so yeah seems wherever will be fine, but as a climber I might find there's a little more to do in Chamonix.

Hmm kitenski you have a point on the buses there, I didn't really realise that.

Hmm trainee bootfitter could work, i'll have a look. I *do* have a bit of a background in physiology...

I'd be particularly interested in anyone's experience of finding jobs at Chamonix, it was suggested to me that that would be an advantage of Courchevel/Meribel
ski holidays
rjs yeah I'm pretty sure I'd qualify for a work permit, I had a look at the French embassy website and it seemed alright. would need to make sure of that though, obviously. Worst comes to worst I'll head to Canada instead, I just figure France would be a bit more of an adventure.

Righto so yeah seems wherever will be fine, but as a climber I might find there's a little more to do in Chamonix.

Hmm kitenski you have a point on the buses there, I didn't really realise that.

Hmm trainee bootfitter could work, i'll have a look. I *do* have a bit of a background in physiology...

I'd be particularly interested in anyone's experience of finding jobs at Chamonix, it was suggested to me that that would be an advantage of Courchevel/Meribel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nzbassist,

Re the bus point. Chamonix is a large town but has 3 lifts out of it. Brevent to the east is 5 mins walk from the town centre and Brevent is now lift linked over to Flagere ...and the main lift up from Flagere is maybe 3-4 kms along the valley..not far if you time the buses right. Argentierre is 11 kms and about 20 mins so if you get the buses right you can be at the bottom of the lifts within 30 mins I'd say.

Chamonix also has the Midi lift but you'll not use that every day.... not for the 1st month anyway... wink

On balance, you probably stand a better chance getting onto the snow quicker in Courcheval but it might depend where you can stay/work.
snow report
nzbassist, re buses - depends where you're based. The Brevent area is only 5-10 minutes walk from Chamonix town centre. Jobs seem easy to find - depends what you want to do. Just bear in mind that the best paid, most interesting jobs typically involve least skiing.

Your language struggle will be to find someone who wants to speak French. Everyone you need to speak to speaks English.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy