Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SkiFilmReviews

Poster: A snowHead
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, SkiFilmReviews

SkiFilmReviews is my latest project. At times I've always wanted to see what people's opinions were of the ski films out there, what the ski films even contained in content and so forth. I usually only had the trailer to go by... After much searching I found little hope on the internet so decided to take things in my own hands.

The aim of the site is to give users an insight into the world of ski films. The site offers descriptions, trailers and reviews of ski films and the latest news of the ones coming out. There's really not much else to it. Now the reason I'm advertising it here is to get feedback from like-minded people so I can improve it overall (yes I asked admin for permission before posting.. and yes he gave it to me).

Now, this is a work in progress which is why there are only two reviews up at the moment and around 20 or so films catalogued at the time of posting.

Last but not least, the link.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get show and prove on, cannae find it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Could be great. Very slow though
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv, I'm adding the ski films by year and will continue to do so tomorrow as I've currently been on holiday. So depending on when it was released it'll be up soon.

Mike Pow, the speed issue is definately something I'll be looking into within the next couple weeks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.filmfest-stanton.at/filme.php?a=7

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=424776&highlight=mount+cook#424776
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alright, arv, I've added Show and Prove. If I've missed any of the big titles from 2005 onwards please tell me and I'll have it up. If you have any particular requests, just ask and I'll put it up shortly.

I'll be looking to add more reviews during the week, and hope to add around 5 or so ski films to the database daily. Also, the site was messing up when I first linked it, but that's been fixed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timmaah, Have a look on the site www.skimoviemusic.com for a few titles
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't forget the 'Ski tips' series for the best ski gear on camera ever! Martin Heckelman's white glasses are legendary.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Believe is Studio 411.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
arv, It's distributed by Studio 411, but produced by Tanner Hall (least I'm led to believe so but I could be wrong). Also, if anyone knows what's up with the Studio 411 site? It seems to have magically turned into a motocross site.

freestyleandy, ya been checking that site before. Great site and very useful!

WayneC, is the "ski tips" series more of a tv series rather than film? If so, then I won't be adding it now as my main aim is films at the current moment.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timmaah, they make all sorts of vids not just ski ones. They show a teaser for it on their youtube channel. Sites looking better, am I missing a sorta "view all" button. Yet to look but do you make links to where youc an buy the vids o r have a buy now type section?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timmaah, I know they're older but you are seriously missing "Blizzards of Aahs! and "Licence to thrill". Seminal.

Also, you need a Dick Barrymore section.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arv, click the film database and that will take you to the well.. film database Very Happy I just checked the credits of Believe and you were right, it does seem to be Studio 411. Thanks for pointing the mistake out will get on it now! Also, when you click a film there is an amazon link to the right side. Sometimes you get good deals but theyre mostly US based iirc so for the Europeans it probably isn't the best idea to buy via them. I will look to see if I can get something a bit more logical for the European folk.

David Murdoch, Reason I've not got that section up yet is because I've yet to add his films. I'll try to get those two up by the end of today.

Just a pointer, Rage Films is bringing out a documentary alongside one of it's usual run of the mill ski films. The documentary looks good, it's called "Down Days" and shows the insight of a season in Alaska. Seemed like something different.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry for double-post.. but quick update. All the Greg Stump films have been added, some of them have poor images because as one can imagine with such old films there are hardly any good resolution pictures. If you have any Greg Stump films lying around at home and wouldn't mind scanning the leaflet or even take a picture please pm me!

David, you requested a Dick Barrymore section, I'll see what I can do with regards to that over the next coming days... At the moment the site has 43 ski fims indexed from 1985 to 2008. Should easily hit the 50 mark by Saturday.

I also hope to have two more reviews up there by Saturday. IF you have any newer requests, please.. feel free. They're a lot less hassle to add than the VHS rips.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmaah, I have to admit that this gave me a giggle this morning. You realise it's a marvellous exercise. I was going to suggest pointless too, but no, it's not. It's just great. Well done.
snow report
Speed really does need addressing, I almost gave up waiting for it to load!

I just came across this site, look v good ski films IMHO

http://www.stormshow.com
latest report
kitenski, yep.. At the moment it's hosted on a server in the US and there is another site on the server which uses a lot of cpu/mem usage so I think it may be that. It has been especially bad the past one-two days. I'll have to speak to some people first and decide whether moving host is what need's to be done.

Thank's for the link to stormshow, they seem to be a little less known than the other production companies.

David Murdoch, Smile Thank you for your kind words.

edit: I think I may have fixed the speed issue so it's not as terrible.. It takes around 4 seconds now instead of the 8 it did a while before, is this the case for the others as well?
ski holidays
Whole load of microbrew film makers out there now - you could have your hands full. Also remember the Scandis and Frogs make plenty of movies (and presumably the Austrians and Swiss though I don;t recall seeing any)
I'd suggest history wise you try to cover

Leni Reifenstahl
Yank filmakers like Barrymore & Miller (latter if only for the cheese factor)
Ski mountaineers like Tardivel etc
The French/Les Arc Apocalypse Snow stuff
Bogner

This was a great documentary I saw a few years back at the Kendal Mtn Film Festival

"Cinema Vertical USA 60 mins

Directed and Produced by Dave O'Leske & Stash Wislocki

A history of ski filming in the USA , starting with the Faunk 1920's "Der Weisse Rausche", one of whose stars Hannes Schneider was forced to flee the Nazis and was brought to the USA where he started a film tradition epitomised by Warren Millar. The film includes spectacular and historic footage from around the world."

Oh & some of the more docu type newer stuff e.g. Steep plus the cream of the snowboarding crop like 91 words for Snow, Lines
ski holidays
I just had a quick look about Dick Barrymore and have only found one film that was released to VHS/DVD... "The Golden Years of Ski Films" He also has a book but there doesn't seem to be any mention of other ski films on his site. There must be others which were released to VHS!?

Right.. looks like I've found four more; "The Performers", "The Last of the Ski Bums", "High Skis" and "Scandanavian Ski Safari"

I'll try my best to add these but there doesn't seem to be much information out about them...

Also as a sidenote, he apparently passed away yesterday at age 74 in his home (read it on TGR forums).

fatbob, thanks for the names.
snow report
Don't forget "Hotdog the Movie" Wink

does seem faster to load now....
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Don't forget "Hotdog the Movie" Wink

does seem faster to load now....

Yep & "Aspen Extreme"
snow conditions
Those two seem to be more films about skiing rather than ski films perse... I think if I go down that route I'm opening a pandora's box.
latest report
Had a chat with Mr. Stump, nice guy. Anyhow.. expect some greg stump reviews within the next coming weeks.
ski holidays
You could add Steep on there too: http://www.sonyclassics.com/steep/
ski holidays
Shameless bump. There are now over 120 films added (all major film production companies from 1980s on) and four reviews including one from stumpy.

I've got most of the modern films added and am just now dabbling into the amateur ones... Now i know I've yet to add barrymore films up but it's a heck lot of more work than adding a TGR film for example, merely cause of the receny of the latter. If I've missed a particular film then shout at me, or shout at me anyway.

I have a box of stump dvds next to me waiting to be watched. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which one I should review next?

On a sidenote, the production companies have, to the most part, been all very supportive and have now a list of around 13 who are supporting me, including a telemark one! snowHead
ski holidays
Big changes in a short space of time.

Well done Very Happy

Would be good to have the movies organised chronologically (most recent to oldest) for the 'production categories' lists.
snow report
Theres a list of all this years teasers on TGR, give me a shout it you want thema nd i'll look them up.
ski holidays
Timmaah, You're doing a great job! Keep it up. Very Happy I believe that Snowhead Whitenoise's dad made one of the first ski movies. I know Admin knows about it - maybe you should pm him?? I don't think Whitenoise ever looks at the forum. I have to say though - I don't much care for the review of 'Blizzard of Aahs'. Breakable crust is much harder to ski on (never mind the skis), so who cares if there's not much powder! Those guys are fantastic skiers, and I think it's simply the best ski film ever. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the support guys. Mike Pow, ya I'm looking into that as we speak as it would make finding films a lot easier.

arv, Cheers for that but I think I got most teasers already up in an article that's on the front page.

easiski, I shall do! As for the differing opinion, that's a given. Smile I did enjoy the film though, don't get me wrong. It just didn't get me as pumped to ski as some of the newer films I've seen, but then again one must not forget that I come from the era of the new films and I'd imgaine you come from the era of the Aahhh's. snowHead Any recommendation of which stump film I should watch next?
ski holidays
Timmaah, obviously I need to start looking at the site more carefully! Good job.
ski holidays
Timmaah, Maltese Flamingo - it was his first, is shockingly badly made, but was soooooo totally different at the time. Actually I come from the era when we didn't have ski films at all, but while in Scotland in the 80s we used to watch Blizzard at least once every 2 days! rolling eyes
snow conditions
easiski, Wasn't Droids his first? Oddly enough he didn't send me maltese flamingo or waiting for the snowman but I think I'll check out siberia or p-tex, lies and duct tape. As a sidenote, films are now listed in chronological order! Don't know why that didn't jump out at me before...
ski holidays
Timmaah, AFAIK Time Waits For Snowman was his first commercial "hit". I was lucky enough to sit with him and Ace (mmmmmmm) at a Warren Miller opening night a few years ago... he cringed all the way through, occasionally burying his head in his hands... the fella has high standards and I agree with all those that think Blizzard of Ahhhhs is definitively the best ski movie ever.

Quote:

Right.. looks like I've found four more; "The Performers", "The Last of the Ski Bums", "High Skis" and "Scandanavian Ski Safari"

Somewhere I have a copy of Scandinavian Ski Safari on VHS - he made very flat places look steep. Barrymore used to show movies at the Commonwealth Institute in Kensington in the late 70s. I went a few times (as a school boy!). Not great movies but we didn't care.
ski holidays
Timmaah, As you're in Germany you shouldn't forget Willy Bogner... Fire & Ice and The Way To Be (Imax). Cheesy movies but part of ski movie making history... especially the Imax effort. Bogner came to London around 2000 when the Imax cinema was at The Trocadero and put The Way To Be on. He did a talk about the making of it too.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Timmaah, AFAIK Time Waits For Snowman was his first commercial "hit". I was lucky enough to sit with him and Ace (mmmmmmm) at a Warren Miller opening night a few years ago... he cringed all the way through, occasionally burying his head in his hands... the fella has high standards and I agree with all those that think Blizzard of Ahhhhs is definitively the best ski movie ever.

In a thread on TGR a wag posted that the best ski movie ever was 'The Big Lebowski' Laughing

P-Tex, etc and Siberia are both great films.
snow report
Bode Swiller, do you reckon you could dig up that vhs copy and take pictures of the front and back for me? Would be muchly appreciated. I kind of forgot about the Bogner film but will get on it tomorrow.

I know many of you are huge stump fans, so figured I'd let you guys know there's an interview with him up on the site... and he IS bringing out a new film!

http://skifilmreviews.com/interviews/62-greg-stump-interview
snow conditions
Once again the blizzard of arrhs comes out top .Just added your site to my favorites menu!
latest report
Can't see Hot Dog... The Movie(1984) in your database Laughing
ski holidays
I watched 'STEEP' last night. Excellent.
latest report
Chris Brookes, I'm still really undecided whether to add films like Hot Dog to the database cause they're more films with skiing than skiing films. If that made sense...

spyderjon, been meaning to watch STEEP since a while! Managed to rent it the other day so will be looking to watch it soon.

Bode Swiller, I checked up on that film.. do you mean "Ski to the Max" ? If so... That would be the first ski film I watched! I can just about remember it....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy