Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Radios

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, I'm new here and have a couple of questions!

I'm not the best snowboarder in the world... only been twice before in France. I'm going with some friends later this year and they are quite a bit better than me, so we were thinking of taking some two-way radios to keep in contact - as they will no doubt be shooting off into the distance!

We haven't 100% confirmed where we are off to yet, will either be France but possibly Canada so I am looking for some advice as to whether all two way radios can be used or not?

I was looking at something along the lines of the Motorola TLKR T5 as they appear quite durable, but any advice is welcomed.

Thanks!

Redraob
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
redraob, welcome to snowheads. there's been quite a lot of discussion on radios. Inn essence you get what you pay for. North american radios are stringer than european radios and so cover more distance, but due to the frequencies you are not suppsed to use euro radios in NA and vice versa. Have a shufty usgin the search facility up top.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
redraob, we've found that the radios we bought over here wouldnt charge in Canada so we ended up nipping to Canadian Tyre and picking up a set of about $50
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We bought some cheap-os so me and the old man could keep in touch. Worked ace, no issues.

Cheap'n'cheerful.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had some but found them a waste of time. When you're really far away from someone, ie. the other side of a mountain, they tended not to work and when you were all skiing the same side of the mounatin but different slopes then it was far easier to just arrange a time and place to meet. You also feel like a bit of a lady's front bottom using them Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lynseyf, "redfox to runningbear-over"

Completely different experience to mine!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
no more just

"what did you say... I can't hear you..... where??? ......
oh theres that radio beeping again, I'll just ignore it cause I'm having too much fun skiing"
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nbt, thanks! I'll take a look Smile

arv, nice to know, sounds like you had good fun using them! Where abouts in the world did you use them without problems?

lynseyf, maybe you didn't have ones with good enough range for wherever you were? I understand that there may be problems with obstructions, i'm not sure how powerful they can be.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
redraob, Bad Hofgastein/Lake Louise/Norquay/Sunshine.

If you are skiing on your own its a great way to keep in touch.. never had connection issues. If you've been toi the above Canadian resorts you'll understand that they are mostly tree lined.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have binatone cheap and cheerful ones and they have been fine, and invaluable when skiing in a group for meeting up etc. Used them all over Austria and in a few places in France with no probs (plus also in the UK).

D
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
binatone is the make of mine aswell i believe.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"crrrzzzszzzccccccctttttt.... come in Red George... crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrxxxxxxxxzszsssssss"
"CCCCCrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRrrrrrrrrsssssssssss.... wassat?...."
"cccccrrrrssss... get off ze frequency domkopfs.... cccccrrrssssttt"
"cccccrrrsrsrsrss.... what?... Yellow Simon to Red Gccccccrrrrrsrsrsrsrstttttzzzzxxx"

Sometimes they work fine but mostly they are a complete pain in the t*ts. I'd rather lose my pals than carry one now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller wrote:
"crrrzzzszzzccccccctttttt.... come in Red George... crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrxxxxxxxxzszsssssss"
"CCCCCrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRrrrrrrrrsssssssssss.... wassat?...."
"cccccrrrrssss... get off ze frequency domkopfs.... cccccrrrssssttt"
"cccccrrrsrsrsrss.... what?... Yellow Simon to Red Gccccccrrrrrsrsrsrsrstttttzzzzxxx"

Sometimes they work fine but mostly they are a complete pain in the t*ts. I'd rather lose my pals than carry one now.

Fair summary - only real benefit is when a mate gets on the chairlift in front with some strangers and you can spend your chairlift ride asking him if the herpes has cleared up yet etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, So they do have a use. Laughing apart from people continuously shouting at them "say that again" rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
redraob, Welcome to snowheads.

If you buy the European PMR446 standard radios they can only legally be used in Europe i.e. they would be illegal in North America.

The reason for this is obviously the frequency they are on - in North America the European frequency may be allocated to other official users i.e. emergency services, mountain rescue etc, and you transmitting on it could interfere with these services.

"FRS" and "GMRS" radios are approved for use in the United States of America and in Canada - they, of course cannot be used in Europe.

snowHead
snow report
Yer some chepp ones from Aldi for me worked fine last trip.
snow conditions
Yes, we found the Aldi radios absolutely fine as well - they worked just as well as our friends' rather more expensive ones...
It's worth getting them, I think - cheaper & less fiddley than using a mobile. But we did find that no matter what frequency we tried, there were always lots of other people using the same one. You just have to get used to your pocket suddenly shouting at you in fluent French...

fatbob wrote:
...only real benefit is when a mate gets on the chairlift in front with some strangers and you can spend your chairlift ride asking him if the herpes has cleared up yet etc.

Laughing Laughing Must remember to do this...
snow conditions
My experience is that performance is pretty much the same however much or little you pay (NA v Europe differences apart). What may differ is durability (although my cheap ones are lasting as long as my more expensive (Motorola) ones) and features. Number of channels may vary, and a permanent (that is, doesn't go off when the thing is switched off) channel lock is useful. Battery life and rechargeable or not is another question.

They are ususally more practical in NA, as often everyone is skiing in the same valley so reception is OK. Less useful in Europe.

Now that everyone has mobiles, we rarely use the W/Ts, but they're quite handy occasionally, and the kids used to enoy playing with them.
ski holidays
Thanks for the info all! Much appreciated!
snow conditions
Ive got some binatone. Cost about £30, just the trick
snow report
redraob, that's a big tenfour rubber ducky - Sweet Pussie Pie!
snow conditions
Another vote for Binatone.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy