Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

powder

Poster: A snowHead
HELP Sad
Can anyone advise me and the misses on how to ski powder .a good instruction dvd and any tips appreciated .we're ok on groomers /reds or blacks but in aspen this January we had powder and just kept tripping up and falling over.
And to top it all my wife as agreed to go on a Canadian road trip with advanced skiers and we can't do the pow please help Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rather than give you lots of complicated advice, I'll try and keep it simple. People will tell you that powder skiing is the easiest thing ever, etc, but I'm not so sure it is just because it's such a different experience, especially when it's deep.

Try and "bounce" your turns with equal weight on both skis - pole plant to initiate them like a regular turn on piste, then unweight and pivot your feet. Renting fatter skis will make your life easier too...

I'm sure the other people will be along to explain it better in a minute, but I was hopeless when I first tried to ski powder in Europe! Think there's a thread that I started about it and got some good advice actually...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25619&highlight= - from a couple of seasons ago after my first powder day in Europe threw me a bit Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fluffyone wrote:

And to top it all my wife as agreed to go on a Canadian road trip with advanced skiers and we can't do the pow please help Puzzled

To be honest you're wasting your time - you'd be better cutting your losses and offloading the palce on the trip to me at a knock-down price wink

I think the real key is to relax, forget about everything you've learned about stomping on edges and downhill ski dominance and concentrate on banking the skis together. If you can think in terms of one big ski you're at an advantage (look at how easy it is for snowboarders) and despite what the purists say hiring fatter skis will make life so much easier and give you confidence. Speed and gradient are alos your friends.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fluffyone, Yeah first things first relax keep the weight and pressure evenly distributed over both skis. Loads of up and down movment Up to let the skis back into the fall line and down the apply pressure and make the turn. Got a great bit of advice about pointing your kness back into the hill as you are sinking to make the turn that works for me.

If you are going to be in Canada you may need a snorkel Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fluffyone, a snorkel is key.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for all the advice some great tips much appreciated, i looked at the thread you started Dave excellent tips just like anything else pratice makes perfect Razz .
but stil can't find a good dvd
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fluffyone, this is more educational that instructional... they don't ski it particularly well but damn it looks good

http://youtube.com/v/Xisr1IyWRRQ
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Get a snowboard
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fluffyone, As you're new to powder it's likely you'll be going slow... Slow and skiing don't really match, as the skis need a bit of speed to respond nice and nimbly. Just don't overdo it, no need to scrape you off a rock which you hit at 30Mph Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had a loooong discussion back in January

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35348&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ski+powder&start=0

That might give you some starting points
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fluffyone,

If it is really powder, any old turn, even a snowplough will get through....and we are always hearing how good it is stateside you shouldn't have a problem... wink so try your normal turn with slower initiations as any build up of snow will be able to fight back and trip you up. You might find you have to emphasise a turn with up-motion just to get you started if the snow is less than perfect... this is why people somethimes bounce...it also helps set the tempo

But I'd start like this.... pick a slope that you like the look of...ie, not too steep and the snow not too deep... point the skis downhill and steer out of the fall-line... get the feeling of how easy or not this is..and then you'll have to get back into the fall-line and link the turns together.

You may have to work a bit hard getting the skis to release up out of the deeper snow but if the slope is gradual enough you will realise that speed helps the skis cut through things so it just a question or starting and finishing the turn well enough to let you keep going.

Bigger GS turns need/allow more speed, smaller s's less so
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just go straight and fall over when you want to stop. Turning is over-rated, and you don't have to worry about technique at all Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like lots of others say, keep bouncing. I'm crap in powder and had a lesson last year. The instructor to me right back to basics on a groomed piste claiming the technique for powder and piste was the same. At first I didn't believe him but this year I tried some deeper stuff and tried to remember my basic tecnique. It seemed to work after a fashion in that I didn't fall as much. I'm still crap`though. Toofy Grin

One thing I am certain of is that you need a higher level of fitness and stamina than for lazily cruising the reds.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the replies some really good advice, and thanks for pointing out the threads, plenty of information and tips in these too.
we will just have to be patient and take our time and hope it all comes together in the end Puzzled .
i think after 3 weeks in Canada with a couple of lessons we should learn something and who knows we may even like it snowHead
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
-[snip- (look at how easy it is for snowboarders) -snip-

It's not because it's "easy", it's because we are 'one' with the snow. We understand it, we caress its smooth curves leaving just the tingle of our passing touch . . . without a board your life will be forever empty and the slope defiled by your crude marionette bouncing rolling eyes
latest report
Masque wrote:
without a board your life will be forever empty and the slope defiled by your crude marionette bouncing rolling eyes

Don't have to bounce if you go straight Very Happy
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
fatbob wrote:
-[snip- (look at how easy it is for snowboarders) -snip-

It's not because it's "easy", it's because we are 'one' with the snow. We understand it, we caress its smooth curves leaving just the tingle of our passing touch . . . without a board your life will be forever empty and the slope defiled by your crude marionette bouncing rolling eyes

Hey I don't crude marionette bounce when I'm on a board and have admired somewhat green eyed those lovely Swell Panik swallowtails. Modern powder skiing on decent sized skis is not all about those effete powder eights anyway.
ski holidays
Yeah - I'm all about the powerslide and slave these days Very Happy

(Really looking forward to my first powder day now!!)
ski holidays
buy a snowboard
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
buy a snowboard

It took long enough . . . but we got there in the end Twisted Evil
latest report
Quote:

buy a snowboard

Errrrrrrrrrrr...... why..???
ski holidays
JT, if you have to ask . . . you just keep banging the rocks together, remember, thumbs to the outside wink
snow conditions
Masque,

I'll follow you...if you can follow me... wink
latest report
Masque, just take him through some deep stuff having wound down his DIN - lets assume he won't we using ribbons

JT, no doubt you're already plotting traverses and deep flat spots.
ski holidays
fatbob,

ha ha ha... and some very steep narrow bits..

Seriously, as a way of getting down in deep snow... fantastic...as a way to get around the hill, getting to those bits etc etc... not the best...defo not the best..!!!
ski holidays
Quote:

CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
Quote:
buy a snowboard

It took long enough . . . but we got there in the end

Er
A day earlier Swirly wrote:
Quote:

Get a snowboard

NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy