Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Landslide......again!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Another rockslide on the route from Vancouver to Whistler. This time, an entire cliff face collapsed, sending 16,000 cubic metres of rock, some boulders the size of trucks, onto the highway below. It is not known at this point if there are any cars buried beneath the 100 metre-long slide. It will be at least 24 hrs. before the road is cleared, and possibly much longer.

I have driven the road countless times on my way up to Whistler/Blackcomb and have several near misses with falling debris. I know of people who have had rocks severely damage their vehicles. Plainly put, it is a crapshoot. The more one drives up there to ski, the greater the chances of running into something. It would be an international embarrassment if something happened during the Olympics, but the strong possibility exists that something will happen.

There is also concern about a major slide in the area between the two mountains at Whistler. Geotechnical experts have warned that a major movement of soil is taking place, and a slide could occur at any time. The situation is being closed monitored as I speak.

I love skiing up there, but one can't fool with Mother nature.

[/img]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sealy, Welcome to Snowheads, that sounds like a big deal that will take a long time to clear and secure. I've often wondered how many cars get hit every year by falling debris as they travel up and down, I'd expect its rare as the odds are fairly long that you'll be underneath as something happens. The only significant avalanche I've ever seen was next to a road (I was about 1 kilometre away just watching at the right time). It was huge too
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the greeting. It is not only direct hits that a driver must worry about. Occasionally, one will be just exiting a hairpin turn and in the blink of an eye, will come face-to-face with a rock the size of a watermelon. Quick avoidance reflexes are mandatory on that road. I've driven that road at least a couple of hundred times, and always seem to see debris of some kind. During the rainy season, it is quite common to see the creeks overflowing and rushing water flowing across the road. It is a risk one must undertake when driving the road during ski season. In my view the rewards at the end of the road make the whole exercise well worth the effort. Hopefully, we can keep all the tourists coming in 2010 safe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sealy, Are they creating a rail link from Vancouver to Whistler in time for the Olympics? - I thought I'd heard something about such plans. If landslides are common it could be a problem for a rail line as well! Skullie
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink, the rail link already exists - until as recently as the 1960s rail was the only reliable transport to Pemberton, the next village past whistler. Whether it's suitable for large scale passenger transport is another matter
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Global warming?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its summer now, natural erosion ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold, I think gravity has been in operation for longer than global warming. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thought the olympic plan was to ban road traffic past Squamish without a resident pass - & then ferry people into Squamish direct from Van.

Sea 2 sky is always an interesting drive but I 'd always thought the main risks were idiot kids in their rice rockets and stretch limos.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, idiots behind the wheel are still one of the biggest risks on that highway. Unfortunately, skiers are among the biggest offenders. I have driven that road faster than I should at times. I remember motoring along one morning on my way to the mountain and I was passed by another skier in a Porsche on a blind curve!! It is usually less draining driving back, as everyone is too dog-tired to drive quickly.

Fatbob, you are correct about the restricted driving on the highway during the Olympics. At least that is the plan. Right now there is a bit of an uproar about that, so we shall see how it pans out. I believe there are plans for a fast ferry from Vancouver to Squamish, which is at the end of the fiord. There used to be a tourist train from North Vancouver to Pemberton, which is just north of Whistler. There was also a vintage steam train which ran from North Van to Squamish. It would be smart to employ a train to transport spectators to and from Whistler. I think the security issues involved with using a train would pose a big problem.

One only has to look at a satellite picture of the Sea-to-Sky highway to see how potentially hazardous it is. When the highway was built, mountains of solid rock were blasted away, leaving sheer walls of rock, sometimes on both sides of the road. Otherwise, it's the ocean on one side and rock walls on the other, very claustrophobic. I remember seeing a motorhome with Kentucky plates pulled over at the side of the road part way up the highway. I stopped, thinking he might need assistance. He said to me, "If the good Lord ever lets me off this here road, I ain't never comin' back!!" After I finished laughing, I got him turned around and he headed back to Vancouver, never to be seen again.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Latest update on the slide. It will take at least 5 days to clear according to government sources. An overhanging ledge above the debris must be blasted away before the cleanup can begin. The only other way to Vancouver is via an 8 hour detour route. BC Ferries was going to run a ferry from Squamish to Vancouver, but inspection of the Squamish dock showed it was too weak to withstand the docking of a ferry. A tourist family of 5 was charged $2600 for a 25 min. plane flight from Squamish to Vancouver. Who said Canadians were nice?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.news1130.com/news/topstory/article.jsp?content=20080730_031245_9904

Rail line blocked as well as the road. Impressive amoutns of rock in those pics
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy