Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt: Best location? Best time to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I'm about to book a week in Zermatt for early 2009. My first question is; What is the best location in Zermatt in terms of access to the best lifts? I notice that a lot of brochures mention their proximity to the Gornegrat! Is this where I should be aiming to locate myself? My wife and I are advanced (but by no means expert) skiiers and will probably be looking to do moderately challenging terrain.

As well as going to Zermatt, Ill also be spending a week in Ischgl during the ski season. One trip will be in January and the other in early March. My 2nd Question is; Which resort should I go to in January and which one in March? Does anyone have any thoughts on which way round I should take these trips?

Thanks

Tony
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied at both Ischgl & Zermatt this year, Ischgl 1st week in Jan & Cervinia / Zermatt mid March, and to be honest I wouldn't think there would be a problem which ever way round you took the trips.

Having said that the extra 1000m of altitude at Zermatt would probably mean your chances of poor snow conditions are slightly less there than at Ischgl.

If you could find detailed snow report history with snow depths at various altitudes you may be able to either back up or shoot to this bits.

Mike
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boris360,

Reconcile yourself to the fact that none of the lifts are that close to each other but if you are prepared to walk to them from time to time then it doesn't really matter where you stay. I stayed at the Ambassador near Gornegrat (opposite the Banhof ) which is the cog rail. This a slow lift
but you will want to do it at least once and preferably on a bluebird day. The views to the Matterhorn are spectacular so sit on the right hand side on the train.

Probably the most central to all 3 lifts is a hotel near the river, so a quick walk to Sunnegga or the bus onto Klein Matterhorn. You could then walk back to the town to get onto Gornegrat.

I found the best stuff off the top of Gornegrat down to Sunnegga but most will gravitate to towards the KL CC. You need to go this way (KLCC ) to get over to Cervinia but you can avoid the big CC queues via chairs and drags.

If you want go a bit further then you can do a heli trip onto the Monterosa, this isn't a strenuous route from the Zermatt side and the glacier is gentle. Or visit the Tourist Office and ask about their Off-pistes days. The instructor will give you a good tour round...which you would have to work very hard to work out yourself but he will not take you onto glaciers. The group will be made up of similar bods who have the same idea as you so you'll meet new people. If the snow comes in late in the day, get down there after skiing and book it for the next day..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT wrote:
boris360,

JT

Well said, we have stayed in the Matterhornblick and Couronne these last 2 years, and found it a pain to get the bus from there.

So this year we have a cunning plan and are staying opposite the Sunegga express, in the Admiral , which is also nearer the start of the line for the bus and so giving us more of a chance of getting on it this year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arlberg, Alas that is the problem with Zermatt, if you want to get onto the slopes!! Bloody bus's and taxis! The locaton you chose is most important. Next to lift in village or up the mountain that however means you will miss most of the nightlife in Zermatt itself, which IMO is fun.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I also stayed at the Ambassador. It's as good an area as any. There are intermediate stations on the Gornegrat, from which you can easily get over to the Klein Matterhorn side. The lifts between the sectors are much improved recently, so it can make sense just to get up via the nearest lift and move about up the mountain rather than struggle through the town.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at the Hotel Alex but it seems a bit out of the way. Good for Gornegrat though!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ooo jealous Arlberg - we've stayed at the Admiral twice. Fab food. Did it courtesy of Teco vouchers/swiss ski - but they dont take them anymore.
Agree with the replies.. Gorengrat is very cute but very slow. I'd want to be near Sunnega or KM. The ski buses are very full at peak times and a pain.
But its still my favourite resort for an all round holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We stayed near KM and I would choose to stay in that area again. It was easy to get to the other mountains from there and we didn't use the buses at all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy