Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A season in France or Austria or Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
I need some help making a decision about next season.

It is my intention to spend January through April in a ski resort somewhere!

I think I have 3 options available to me;

1) 3 Valleys/Espace Killy/Chamonix or similar type resort, the intention would be to share an apartment/chalet hooking up with some people via seasonaires.com. Staying in BSM is not something that appeals to me, I would rather be up the hill than down in the valley. However…

2) A friend of a friend has a B&B in a Radstadt within the Ski Amade region, I have been told it would be possible to stay there for a very reduced rate. I have heard good things about the ski area but I am concerned about feeling a bit isolated from the crowds, friends who have stayed there say that the après isn’t as lively as other areas. I am also having trouble finding out how accessible the rest of the Ski Amade area is from Radstadt, this is important as I will not have a car and am not so keen on relying on buses.

3) Whistler is also an option and whilst I can make it work within my budget is it going to be worth the extra costs I will incur for a season there. However if I do choose Whistler, I could Squeeze a couple of weeks traveling in on the tail end of the season before coming home. I would probably go through a company like seasonit.co.uk.

I do not intend to work whilst I am away so the possibility of employment is not a factor in my decision.

Which would you choose? Do you have any better ideas?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

I've never been to Whistler but if I had the choice I think I would choose North America.

Have fun whatever you decide!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd recommend ski amade. It's an extensive ski area, great snow record, far cheaper than options 1 & 3. I'll be based in schladming for most of next season, as I was last season. Must say to get the best out of the area a car is ideal but the buses aren't too bad. Radstadt itself is fairly quiet but there are a few bars. who's the friend in radstadt? Fellow snowhead? Flachau is close by (bus ride or taxi) and I think has pretty good apres as well as extensive linked ski areas. You could also get to Zauchansee by bus and this is a corker ski area especially for powder. Further down the valley is Schladming and it's related ski areas, again possible by bus. This is the single biggest linked ski area. Pay a little extra and get the Salzburg super pass – this covers obertauern – again probably get there by bus.

I've done plenty of time in Val d'Isere – clearly more après ski, more obvious off piste, more brits and more expensive. I’m sure you’d have a great time at any of the options.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
waynos, Any other suggestions for the ski amade area? I'm trying to sort something out for the season and wondered the area but have skied very little in Austria.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The answer is it doesn't really matter - you'll have a great time wherever however you've got a shortlist of very different places. Decide what's a priority to you, seasonnaire scene/decent sized town/snowfall/extensive groomers/proximity to city/airport for visitors/public transport/Euro mega area or smaller area where you'll have a chance of knowing every nook & cranny. How experienced are you off piste? Confident in your own route finding etc?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whistler.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
david@mediacopy, Depends what you're after. The piste skiing is extensive throughout the whole area, snow record good backed up with huge coverage of manmade stuff. Apres is not as lively as say st anton or kitz, but still far better than france. Quite a few towns to base yourself, Flachau probably most central and good local skiing. Schladming is where i'm based, feels like a proper town rather than resort. Good selection of bars & cafe, main gondola out of town connects into a modern lift system covering 4 mountains. There is off piste around though much of the hills are covered in thick forest. Having said that on a powder day there plenty of decent areas to head to. You also got the Gastein valley and hochkonig areas which I don't know very well. Any specific questions drop me a pm.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
waynos, Cheers Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Top stuff thanks guys.

I was leaning towards Ski Amade & a Salzburger pass before hand and your comments would probably push me that way, I just wanted to ensure that i wasn't going to be stuck in the middle of now where... it seems that that won't be the case

A friend has just thrown Japan into the mix and I like a bit of an adventure so we will see.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Japan
yes please snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mollynmeg, speak to Mike Pow about Japan, as far as I understand he has done a few seasons there-really knowledgeable and has plenty to say on the subject when provoked wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks. I have already messaged him it was quite long winded so i didn't stick it up here.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
seasonit.co.uk are a very good company, and much more recommended than anyone else (cough seasonaires.com cough)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take a look at planetsubzero, they offer long term and season packages.

You may want to consider some of the other British Columbia areas also. The resorts are smaller than Whistler but the quality of snow and terrain is often better. Because they are a lot more affordable there are generally plenty of people doing a similar thing. I am going back 15 years but Red Mountain was always a great place to spend a couple of months, live cheaply and ski every day! Amazing tree skiing. February and March were generally the preferred months as January can get seriously cold.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I spent Jan-March touring BC/Alberta this year, with about a month in Whistler. The place is awesome. I had doubts about spending so long in one resort, having never done a season before, but on leaving I felt as if I could easily have stayed much longer. I would say that unless you're comfortable in the 'proper' off-piste/backcountry (and are with people who are too; or are happy finding randoms to go out with) then a North American resort is the best way to stretch your skiing, simply because of the huge amount and variety of avy-controlled, in-bounds terrain at a place like Whistler. (try out the line Ladies First off the side of blackcomb glacier, or some of the lines in Flute bowl on whistler, on a power day...). The town has a very lively, young atmosphere - in general, quite a nice community of people really into their skiing/riding.

I stayed in Creekside (the other gondola uplift area) in a condo near the owned by Max at 'whistler snowboard tours' - http://www.snowboardwhistler.com/condo.html . The set up was awesome - basic, but cheap and a great place to meet people if you're planning on going out alone. Made some really good friends there. The chap who runs it is friendly and laid back, and he might even be able to get you a deal on a ski pass...

Downsides are the expense of things like groceries in whistler and the fact that it does get quite busy on weekends; also the infestation of aussies over for the season Wink

Other resorts that particularly impressed were Kicking horse (though much less of a nightlife), Revelstoke (quite 'up and coming') and Lake Louise; though I would say that for the amount of skiing, and for the community and atmosphere, Whister tops out.

rob
ski holidays
I did Whistler with Season It this year and had an amazing time.

I now miss it every day! Certainly didn't get bored. Fab.
snow conditions
The only thing I'd say is, if you go to Whistler, which I thought was great, you're pretty well going to ski there and nowhere else. If you spend the season in France or Austria you have the opportunity from most places to ski various other resorts within an hour or so's drive..
snow report
I spent most of the season in Whistler this year living out in Creekside, fantastic place, while it does get rather busy in the weekend I was really surprised how empty the pistes were mid week

terrain was fantastic, as was the nightlife/apres I'd agree that groceries are pretty expensive though, but drink seemed a bit cheaper than in french resorts.
snow conditions
Any tips on finding accommodation in Schladming? We're looking to go probably after New Year 2014 for the rest of the season. Anyone who saves me from going to France will be my hero Very Happy
snow report
SueWC, welcome to snowheads. snowHead If you peruse some more recent threads you might get some more useful pointers. The search function works quite well. Generally, resort tourist offices are extremely helpful and useful - a good place to start, though no doubt you will find some specific help here from people who know the area.

Thanks for not thinking of coming to France. wink More than enough people there already.
latest report
Rent an RV, chase the powder across Canada.
Dont book into one place, follow the snow.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Thanks for not thinking of coming to France. wink More than enough people there already.

Really? barelly a person on the slopes last week... guess you get what you pay for.
latest report
I've done two season being a ski-bum in Whistler some time back now. If/when I win the lottery I'd probably move there, but if I was doing another season, I think I'd be more tempted to go with sideslip's suggestion
ski holidays
Whistler. Most of the people we spoke to there had intended to do a season, and had stayed for over 3 years!
snow conditions
In Radstadt you will reply on buses every day (except small local hill).

Great areas nearby, no doubt. Lots of options if you don't mind a bus - Schladming, Obertauern, Zauchensee, Flachau should be reachable fairly easy. Any further place you will need a car.
I would check the timetables carefully though.

Those resorts around Salzburg are my favourites but I think I will be tempted to do Whistler in your circumstances.
snow report
Whistler. HUGE amount of terrain.

Quote:

if you go to Whistler, which I thought was great, you're pretty well going to ski there and nowhere else.

Why? Dozens of small resorts round Vancouver.

Quote:

drink seemed a bit cheaper than in french resorts.

I've never paid 10€ plus tip for a glass of wine in France. Shocked Mind you, spirits were cheaper, certainly.
ski holidays
If it was me I would chose Canada. I did a season in Whistler 8 years ago and had a great time - on and off the ski field. Always things going on there. Sure it might not be the cheapest place but its comparable to the European resorts. There is a good supermarket in Whistler village which has OK prices. Tree skiing is good and everyday is a ski day due to the trees. Although if you are there for a while having a day off here and there due to bad weather wont be an issue like it would be for a two week trip. As others have mentioned you could try some of the smaller Canadian resorts to make it a bit cheaper, if you buy an early bird season pass it is pretty cheap. I did Fernie 5 years ago for 2.5months. Great skiing but its doesn't have a central village like whistler - it is a town rather, but is cheaper. The only problem was getting to and from the ski field each day, which required a bus or hitching, both of which are easy. The other resorts in Canada are generally pretty quiet compared to Europe (in my opinion). In Fernie I don't even recall q'ing for more than 2min, ever! After skiing in Europe and Canada over the past 8 years I would always go to Canada if I could, it is just better. Also bear in mind that Whistler can and does get very busy around the holidays so be prepared for that. Good luck making a decision!
snow report
This.
dennisp wrote:
Whistler. Most of the people we spoke to there had intended to do a season, and had stayed for over 3 years!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From experience, Val Thorens is an amazing resort for a season, so is Meribel. Wouldn't do another one in Courchevel.

Spent some time in Morzine and that was fun as well. PDS or 3 Valleys are great for a season, both ski areas are huge! With the 3 Valley season pass you also get a few days in the Espace Killy and Paradiski so you can go on a day trip.

You will have an awesome time wherever you go I'm sure! Smile
snow report
Revelstoke.................

Day out to KH, every week or so. Job's a good 'un.

My $0.02
snow report
If you go to Canada, do the power highway instead of Whistler. http://www.powderhighway.com/ Unless you prefer heavy, wet snow (and frequent rain in the village) to insane quantities of perfect powder.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy