Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chill Factor in Manchester

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am sure there are plenty of snowheads out there that have already been at either this or a similar venue across the country, but today was my first trip, and I was surprised how much fun it was and also a bit wierd....

With no such facility in the North East, a visit to my parents who live in the North West gave the opportunity to give the place a go with my 7 year old, on the way home.

It was 26 degrees outside. Why did I think that it would not be cold inside. I had my usual gear on but my brain told me it was July. Yes it is man made snow, but there can be plenty of that in the Alps these days as well. There did not seem to be many people there, being a Monday lunchtime, do these places get really busy at the weekends and you have to queue to get on the tow lift?

The slope is steep enough to get a bit of pace up, ok just for a few seconds.... but the whole experience was very different to the out door artifical slope in Sunderland that I hate with a passion.

Good for a workout for an hour and a half, but a bit far to drive from Newcastle

Can anyone comment on the one in Castleford - better, worse or just different from Manchester?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chrisb, there's a long thread on Chill Factor e here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=29708
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chrisb, Only been for a look around up to now. There are a number of horror stories regarding long queues both to get in and for the lifts but it looks fun for an hour or so. As with dry slopes I think I would get bored quite quickly but you never know Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
halfhand, I think the queues are a seasonal thing! Low season for indoor slopes at the mo, so should be v quiet.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chill factor 'e'
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
chrisb, Castleford is different in many ways. The snow is similar (Tamworth's is different - sort of more granular and a thinner layer), but that's about it!

- You book by the hour not 90 mins & there are quite a few "sessions", ie slightly cheaper deals such as 2hrs ski with lunch, £25 (You can book online)

- The slope's a bit shorter & narrower, with a steeper top section (15 deg) and a shallower lower section (10 deg) that is pretty narrow at the bottom due to the kids' toboggan area and ice slide taking part of the slope away. When they put out lots of freestyle features the space gets a bit limited.

- The nursery slope's separate - it meets the main slope at the bottom with a huge safety barrier separating the two.

- The bar overlooks the side of the bottom of the slope through a few pathetically small windows - not great spectator facility

- There is no formal entry/exit control to the slope; lift passes are manually checked occasionally by lift operators - no feeding them into a silly machine.

- There are 2 Pomas, but usually only one's working unless it's busy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haven't been to Chill Factore, but Castleford is alright. It's a bit far from Newcastle, but on a coach with 49 other students can be amusing enough to bear the journey Smile

Skiing-wise I was pretty happy. It's short but I was happy just being on snow for the first time in 8 months. Got a bit boring towards the end of the 3 hours, but I still skipped out on free food to make the most of the time. Don't make the mistake of thinking it'll be warm though - my hands started to feel it after a while, and I was wearing gloves. When I was there they had a few rails and a barrel feature down the very edge of one side of the piste (but roped off except for a really short flat rail at the top), and a tiny little roller at the very top on the other side. It didn't limit the space much, but I can imagine that when they put everything out it could get a bit cramped.

Overall I thought it was worth it, but not an experience I'd do often due to the long drive Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh and I must warn you that one of the drag lifts is &^%$ing evil! Or at least it was in November; hopefully it's changed Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy