Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche probes and hand luggage

Poster: A snowHead
I know the tip isn't the sharpest thing in the world, but anyone know whether airport security gets all pathetic and nervous if you have a probe in your handluggage.

Can't see the problem myself, but then, I can't see the problem with my 3cm swiss army keyring and I've had a few of those nicked by security.

Thanks in advance

DM
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't say specifically about probes (why would you want to carry one in your hand luggage anyway Puzzled ) but from much experience one thing is certain - there is absolutely NO consistency in the air transport business about what will/will not be allowed, whether or not you will be given steel or plastic knives to cut your steak etc etc. In Mexico I wasn't allowed to carry 2 small camera batteries in my hand lugagge, whilst other passengers were being asked to demonstrate that their cameras worked Confused

My advice - don't bother even trying to take it on, it's not worth the hassle with jobsworths.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch wrote:
I know the tip isn't the sharpest thing in the world, but anyone know whether airport security gets all pathetic and nervous if you have a probe in your handluggage.

Can't see the problem myself, but then, I can't see the problem with my 3cm swiss army keyring and I've had a few of those nicked by security.

Thanks in advance

DM

There is no way they will let you anywhere near a plane with an avalanche probe. Do you remember the World Trade Center attacks? The hijackers were armed with wire cutters and plastic pick-nick knifes and such like. A 3 meter spear is much more dangerous.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, yeah, but so's a broken duty free bottle or turbo-flame lighter, or a safety razor blade attached to a makeshift handle and all of those can be taken on as hand luggage (and you can buy swiss army knives in duty free in some airports). You also get plastic picnic knives with your dinner. The removal of "sharp implements" are more about perceived than actual improvement of security.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most of this is just PR and not competent security anyway.

If a group of hijackers tried again with box cutters of similar, half the passangers would do their level best to beat them to death as the passangers would know that the intention would be to kill everyone by crashing the plane.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skanky wrote:
The removal of "sharp implements" are more about perceived than actual improvement of security.

I don't disagree with you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's only one sure way to garantee that you won't get stopped . . . arrive at check-in naked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I also agree though, that a 3 meter spear is unlikely to be allowed into the cabin. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
on the basis that Italian security made me check in tent pegs that were in my hand luggage (in an attempt to reduce weight of the hold baggage) I would expect that a probe would cause problems
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
arrive at check-in naked
Quote:
I would expect that a probe would cause problems
Shocked

Actually, Masque, there's no need. In the US, they're trialling machines that enable the operators to "see through" your clothes, to the body underneath, for use at airport security checks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
trialling them at h'row too
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skanky, Like that's not going to attract a 'certain type' of mentality. Though I belive that they're attempting to define a pattern aggorithm so that the images are screened by computer rather than bulging eyeball.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Can't say specifically about probes (why would you want to carry one in your hand luggage anyway )

To punch a hole in the fuselage, presumably.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, those sort of people are already working in some airports, it seems.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hand luggage request because have located 2nd set of basic ski kit in Italy and have some handluggage-only weekends planned. Wouldn't be a problem on real airlines but are doing some sectors on Ryanair.

I believe they still use seats and seatbelts (can anyone confirm?) but they seem to have a pretty innovative take on checked-in luggage...

3m spear a reasonable comment, but I really can't see would be terrorists being able to "erect" a probe from folded without it being noticed. And the point isn't exactly sharp, yes you could have someone's eye out with it, but hard to see who would really try and use it as a lethal weapon.

Is that an avalanche probe in your pocket or are you just please to see me?

PS Davidof, I was on a call to a colleague high up in the WTC when the 1st plane hit - I'm not likely to forget that conversation in a hurry!!
snow report
David Murdoch, i would say that it is pointless trying to debate whether a probe would make a likely weapon of choice. The point is, are the security guards going to think that it is more than their job is worth to let it go through? I would say that they would force you to check it in.

If flying with Ryanair, and if they have introduced their threatened policy pf charging for all hold baggage, why not wrap it in bubble wrap and check it in? I doubt that it could come to much harm and it wouldn't cost much.
latest report
If you knew how much they pay these security people, then you wouldn't expect to get a bright one. one made me remove the battery from my travelling alarm clock because it would "interfere with the aircraft's navigation instruments" but back to the subject, there is no way you would be allowed on with a probe as hand baggage.
latest report
Tony Lane, I think that might be the only plan.
latest report
I should have simply checked with Ryanscare first shouldn't I. Given that Ski poles can't be taken onboard, avvy probes will cause mass fear and terror too: I quote their website:

b) Pointed/edged Weapons &Sharp Objects; pointed or bladed articles capable of causing injury, including:
Axes & hatches, ... [edited to reduce total boredom], ... Ski and walking/hiking poles, Throwing stars, Tradesman’s tools... [more boredom]

I think they mean hatchets, not hatches... I didn't realise I carried such an armoury of lethal devices when I skied. I'm amazed they let me on board with my rapier like wit Little Angel
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
Sharp Objects; capable of causing injury

Or your false teeth, even Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy