Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March in Hinterglemm - avoid or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have bought tickets for Salzburg for March 7th - 14th and can't make our minds up whether to go back to Obertauern for the 4th time, or chance Hinterglemm at that time of year. We booked the tickets for that week knowing Obertauern is perfect then, and flights were cheaper, but we are now thinking about Hinterglemm, and wondering if it is too much of a risk. I've checked historical records, but that doesn't tell me how good those levels ski at.

We've been spoilt a bit by the superb conditions in Obertauern...but we loved Hintergelmm when we were there 3 years ago, and now I use a Snowbike, I want to see all the runs I couldn't manage on skis, plus the hotel prices in Hinterglemm plumit that week!

If anyone has skied that week in the past - what was it like? opinions appreciated.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sharon1953,

As you probably know, Obertauern is about 1700-2200, I think, and Hintergemm is 1000-2000 or so so I would not have though there is too much difference. If one has good snow, then the prospect of the other is good as well.

Not sure about the aspect of the slopes though but if they are both NF then I'd think you'd be ok. As with all these things though, you can't be 100% sure.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sharon1953,
Quote:
and now I use a Snowbike, I want to see all the runs I couldn't manage on skis
are you sure that Saalbach-Hinterglemm allows Snowbikes? I know there are a number of resorts that have banned them, and won't take you on a lift with one!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
First half of march shouldn't be a problem wherever you go!

This year March into April was basically excelent everywhere, and even the rubbisch season before was pretty decent with snow finally coming in March.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We saw a couple of people on Snowbikes in Hinterglemm this year.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've only skiied in Hinterglemm in late March and it was great with plenty of snow. It was about 20 years ago though. Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to Hinterglem around Easter this year. It was right near the end of the season. It was plenty skiable then but a bit hard work. Should be fine at the beginning of March though! I can't hink of any reason at all as to why it won't be...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang,Yes, they are allowed in various resorts, Hinterglemm/Saalbach being one of them, they even hold championship races there, also ok in Zell am See and Ski Amade. Usually pick them up in the ski hire shops, if not, they drop them off at your hotel from a central depot. Some hotels have them for guest use only. As the Brenter Snowbike was evented by an Austrian and they have worked hard to promote them, most of Austria is now bike friendly, in the USA they call them skibobs and they are growing in popularity there too. There are some where you don’t where skis on your feet, and the lifties don’t like those because getting on and off the lifts causes problems, we just ski on and off as normal, only pushing the bike along at the side of us! Much easier than skiing, far less tiring, and great for people whose knees are past their best! The greatest thing is, they perform their best in slushy, soft, moguled snow - so spring conditions are bliss! Which is why depth is more important to us than quality, so it sounds like March should be ok from the feedback.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sharon1953, is a snowbike one of those things with handlebars that steer, and you stand on runner things? They always look horrendously difficult to me - I've only seen young lads on them, generally totally out of control and crashing all over the place on easy red runs. I have never seen one on a difficult slope. On the tricky draglifts in our area they forbid "snowscoots". Are yours the same? Do you have any pictures of yourself on one? Are they tied to you with a leash and if so, in a bad crash, is there a danger that they'd bash your brains out? I've never seen anyone looking like they're over 20 on one of them, but intrigued by your description as ideal for knackered knees.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, check these out http://www.snowbike.us/d-video-cruise.htm
http://youtube.com/v/f3oZ-vt9SPA

The problem is that there are lots of hybrids - bikes that people have made themselves, just taking the wheels off a conventional bike, adding suspension and using modified short skis. People then load them into their car, take them to slopes, and learn as they go, causing allsorts of mayhem and doing the sport no end of harm! Before you can hire the regular ones, you have to have a 2 hour lesson, to learn how to use the lifts, dismantle them, turn and stop... much like skiing. Then you get a license which entitles you to hire one, wherever they hire them out. Of course if you’ve made your own, there is nothing to stop you taking it on the slopes (if the lifts permit them) without any supervision or training, much like a skier/boarder can, and that’s when the problems start. Then they are as dangerous as an out of control skier, or worse still, boarder!

Some you stand up on, (no seat), some you rest your feet on projections like pedals, and don’t touch the ground, others you use very short skis on your feet. (the ones we use). The two makes that the hire shops use are Stalmach and Brenter, taken years to design/develop, various styles and sizes in the ranges, and are safe for the general public to hire. We started using them this year, after I had a fall, and injured a knee I had already had operated on, and my husband has had 2 knee operations and we were beginning to think our skiing days were numbered, then we saw someone go past on one, asked at the hotel, and had a lesson. They would take about 60 minutes to master if you had never skied, about 15 mins if you have, as you already understand edges, weight distribution, and sliding. You can use your feet as and when you need extra edges to carve or stop, and best of all, you get to sit down! Because of the 4 points of contact with the snow, lower centre of gravity, it’s very secure, and very controllable. The only thing the hire ones struggle with is sheet ice, because they don’t tend to service them often, so the edges are not sharp. If you had your own, (which cost anything from £600 upwards), you would sort this out.

In the states, they require you to leash them to your arm on the lifts, so that you can’t accidentally drop them, but once you fall off on the slopes, they stop just like a bike would. In Europe, they don't seem to bother. Drag lifts are no problem, you will be taught how to use them, when you get good, you can even sit on the bike on a T bar! http://www.ski-bike.org/technique.html - to see how it’s all done! Have a go, you've nothing to lose!
PS. we are in our mid 50's Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sharon1953, I think you'd be unlucky not to get 100% opening, or as near as makes no difference, in Hinterglemm that week. The valley runs pretty much East-West so half of the terrain (and about 60% of piste mileage) is South facing, which could tend to slush, but who knows!

Alternatively, if you're still liking Obertauern but would like to branch out, you could hire a car, stay in Obertauern for "insurance" and day trip to Grosseck-Spiereck, Fanningberg and Katschberg.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JimiHendrix, Thanks. We have thought about car hire in the past, but it's just another added cost to an already expensive holiday, and thought of driving around after travelling there in the first place, might make the holiday less relaxing. My hubby's attitude is, "if we need to hire a car, we've picked the wrong resort...there must be enough at there that we don't need to..." and then there are chains and winter tyres to think about!!! Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ahhh.... true brits!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, Well we wait 51 weeks for 7 days of fun, driving doesn't fall into that catagory ! wink oh...and we can't afford the lift passes for more than one area!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy